I got a new car!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveman Deluxe, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Well, not new new, but new as in used. I'm upgrading from my '86 Tercel to a '88 Celica convertible with a tight sound system. I'll post some pics as soon as I get the chance.

2. xpormac macrumors regular

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Is the celica in black? or red? That is an awesome car, they still look good and run well. Although what toyota from the 80s won't? ;) :D

4. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It's in black. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

It really looks sweet and it's in awesome mechanical condition. The soft top lets a little water in sometimes during the winter, but the guy showed me how to slip a plastic bag in there to fix it. Needs a bit of paint in spots too.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i notice toyotas and hondas last forever...i think the honda accord is the longest lasting car on average but one of the most commonly stolen cars, too

my volvo is a non turbo model, and they are known to also last a long time...16.5 years average according to a 1984 ad...my volvo is a 1984 so it has already beat the statistic but only has 160k miles on it which is low for its age

my dad's old volvo is a 1975 with an original engine and it's still working well...but it's owned by a volvo mechanic so that doesn't really count i guess

now with a rebuilt engine(s), many makes of cars can last forever

6. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

If you've got a great car with a sweet body, why bother buying a new car when you can get an engine from Japan with 100k on it for $1,000 and have it installed for about half that?

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

We had a 1987 Toyota Tercel 4X4. It lasted till 1998 when it blew a cylinder. Has approximately 68,000 mile. After asking around decided that for a 11 year old car it wasn't worth replacing the engine.

Like Jef we now have a 2004 Volvo S 60 AWD. Since my wife is a visiting nurse its a safe and comforable car for her to drive!

8. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Volvos would be THE car to buy except that it's hard to find anybody to repair them. As a result, Toyotas are THE car to buy.

Remember on Seinfeld when George was about to buy an '89 Volvo when he decided to buy Jon Voight's (sp?) LeBaron?

9. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Finally got my crap together to take a pic. Pretty sweet-looking car, no? :D

10. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

kinda small, isn't it? i mean, you can't even fit an attractive ladyfriend in there with ya!

seriously, though, congrats. i am working on getting a new car myself - i was driving a '91 toyota truck with only about 78k miles, but july's killer storm left a tree on top of my car. now it can't pass inspection, and the car is too old to be worth the cost of repair, so we shall see what happens.

sweet ride, though.

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

12. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I know she is. I copied and pasted her from the Victoria's Secret website. I almost resized her, but then I decided I really wanted it to look ludicrous.