I got a new job!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Jun 9, 2003.

1. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I got a job working for Matrix Imaging down here. Pretty cool! Somebody came into my Web Design class today and posted a piece of paper with job information. I went up there and ripped it down, and put it in my backpack. No competition! :D :D

I may also get a job at a dental office, we'll see how that goes.

Matrix pays 8.50 an hour (for me), and im only 14! Im going to work 5...maybe 6 hours a day. I would work more, but Summer School! It starts at 8, and ends at 12. Then I have football at night, at 6 or 7 o'clock.

2. macrumors 604

scem0

wow. They hire young.

My mom brought me home a CompUSA application, and she said that I had a very good chance of getting hired. THe dude she got it from said that they need more employees and that they would hire basically anyone with computer skills.

I don't really want to get a job though. Extra money is great, but it isn't necessary. I would rather just have a lot of leisure time (which, to me, is necessary). Maybe I am wrong though, maybe I should apply.

I'll think it through I guess. :)

[​IMG]

3. macrumors G4

Go for it, you should start as early as possible, the older you get, the harder it is to find even a simple job.

4. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: I got a new job!

congrats man. what's with the tar? just a white square on my browser (phoenix/win32)

5. thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Get the job

Get the job, its going to suck during the summer when there is nothing to do!

I am getting this job for the extra cash, and so I wont be busy. Every day will be full. That is, until, I go away to Carpenteria (beach next to Santa Barbara). That is going to be quite a time :cool:

6. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Congrats on the summer job. I'm working as a life-guard/pr person at my local rec center. Pays 7.50 an hour. I've been working 36~40 hour weeks with Friday and Saturday off. Free food, beautiful women and lots of time with friends. Can't top that. :D

7. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Congrats on the new job! :D

I'm quite surprised to be seeing so many people landing jobs this year...in this economy especially. A buddy of mine is starting a cool new job this week also. I know there are a few MR people who got lucky as well (including myself). I just started my new job 2 weeks ago myself. :D

8. macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Ah, the splendor of youth...deciding whether it's more desirable to have a job for the summer or not.

Enjoy yourself either way.

Mortgage/student loans/orthodontia etc. will make that decision for you down the road.

Suddenly, I feel very old.

9. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    damn, i think it's illegal to work under the age of 16 in england

congrats mate!

eye ... yeah, things are certainly looking up this year for mac peeps. i made the same amount in January/February this year as I did all last year :) (which admittedly wasn't a lot)

10. macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm one of the other MR people who got a job recently, also about 2+ weeks ago. I'm moving next week, and start in July. I definately got lucky, the economy is really rough, and in my line of work, there were too many qualified people looking at too few jobs.

Luckily, I ended up getting this job in a place I want to go. Plus, the pay is 2-3 times better! :D

Good luck with the job.

11. macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on your new job, MacAztec. I know that you will do a great job!

Are you also interested in Dental Medicine?

12. thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ah, I don't think so hehe.

Thanks guys.

As for the Avatar, I tried to make a motion one a while back, and something happened. I decided I didn't really care, so I didnt make another one. If someone would like to send me one or something I would be more then happy.

13. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

that's awesome evo...keep it up man... ;)

mcrain..didn't wanna totally give it away...esp since I kinda hijacked your thread in the private sector... :eek:

14. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

cool, i've got a summer job @8.75
    I'm a waiter for about 10 hrs per week and i work at the shop next to the pool other days for the same pay for about 30-40 hrs per week ...must save for 970 or beer....such a choice

15. macrumors 603

shadowfax

which compUSA is that? i applied to the one across from the arboretum a week ago. i should go bug the hell out of them till they hire me, 'cos i want to work there. that would be scary as hell to find you there though, hah.

16. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Err, gosh why is everyone getting all these jobs... what the hell...

I get a maybe job at a doctor, I keep calling, but the person is either gone or says call back ____, personally I think they are avoiding.

CrapUSA may have jobs too even though I hate them so much... gah, I have nothing better to do with my summer, might as well check.

Good luck.

17. pEZ
    macrumors 6502

Hmm........sudden dilemma......

Get a job, or spend the summer learning Flash and Actionscript?

18. macrumors regular

tsk tsk
    what a world
    i believe today's youth should enjoy their summers indulging in video games and comic books, as i did.

19. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it's cool man... given aztek's sexual history, he's quite beyond video games and comic books.

blah

20. macrumors 603

shadowfax

surely you don't need to be a virgin to engage in such activities?

21. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

duuuuuude. mardi gras duuuuude

i think that's what it was anyhow

22. Retired

jefhatfield

when i was a kid, more than 25 years ago, i think the youngest age of legal work in the usa was 15 or so

and the minimum wage was $3.35 or maybe $2.75 an hour and that was not really bad money then...one could buy more with that than $7.00 dollars an hour could now

it would be good for the economy to raise the minimum wage to a higher level so many more people could have disposable income to buy more goods and help american and world business

i think the short term gains of artificially low minimum wage that business gets by paying less hurts everyone in the long run

23. macrumors 603

shadowfax

i dunno about that, man. i think that the average american consumers, the one that make the differences, are probably getting paid more than minimum wage as it is.

24. Retired

jefhatfield

many people who make much/tons more than min wage just hoard money and basically take it out of the us economy, and the economy suffers which makes them more scared and hoard more...it's a vicious cycle

what we generally want to avoid in america is a caste system of a few very rich *rulers in a psuedo monarchy and a massive class of poor people with no middle class

there was a reason for our founding fathers to set up our country the way they did back in 1776

25. macrumors regular

ugh, i hate compusa. i decided to test out the "mac" people there one day, and the guy ended up trying to sell me an Epson 740i saying it was the newest imac available...true and sad story...