I got a PowerBook!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by FadeToBlack, Jun 21, 2005.

1. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

No, it's not a new one. It's a G3 "Lombard." The specs are:

333MHZ G3, 4.5GB HD, 320MB RAM, 24X CDROM.

I got it on eBay. It was shipped out yesterday. It came with the original Software Restore CD's (OS 8.6) and Photoshop Elements.

I'm really excited about this, as I had been wanting to buy an old PowerBook for quite a while. I will most likely leave it running 8.6 to get experience on the classic Mac OS. Actually, that's one of the main reasons I wanted an older PowerBook. I can't wait 'til it comes in! :cool:

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Not new, but it is still an Apple. I had a PowerBook G3 "wallstreet" for about 3 days until it died on me (logic board problem?) and I loved it for the short time that I had it. I am considering buying another older PowerBook (G3 or G4) to get me through this year in college and then buy a new one when the new Intel PowerBooks come out. Anyhow, enjoy your 'book.

3. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Hopefully, I won't experience any problems with this Lombard.

I'm not sure if they are still available or not, but someone had 2 Wallstreets brand new in the box for $400 each. I thought that was pretty crazy.

4. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Well, I figured out that the Lombard IS wireless-ready. I plan on buying a wireless card and a router sometime soon.

So far, I love the Lombard. It's definitely quick for 333MHz. I've been messing around on it all day. I figured out the reason I couldn't get online with it was because I forgot to reset my modem. :D

The browsers (I was using iCab and IE. I haven't tried Netscape yet) are out of date, but that's to be expected on a 7 year old OS. I may upgrade it to 9 eventually, but I really do like 8.6. I was thinking of maybe buying some old school games for it or something. I seen Warcraft on eBay last night for like $7, so I may end up getting something like that to mess around with later on.

I have to say, it's tripped out watching the '99 MWNY Keynote on a PowerBook that was out during that time period on QuickTime 4. :)

EDIT: It was actually QuickTime 3 that I was watching. It doesn't even look anything like the QuickTime I've always used.