I got a speeding ticket...should I plead guitly or not guilty?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by johnbro23, Aug 2, 2006.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I was going 88 in a 65. I'm not too worried about the fine, I'm just worried about the points and the insurance possibly going up. So which is better, pleading guilty or not guilty?

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Did you do it?

If so be a man and admit it.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Driving that fast, I hope you end up paying fines and points and your insurance goes up. It should. You deserve it.

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Amen to both points above. If you drive fast and you get caught then just plead guilty and accept the consequences.

5. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Plead guilty. If you go not guilty and they show evidence, then you are in even worse trouble but yes i agree with iGary, you deserve it.

6. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They got me with a gun...so that's evidence enough, right?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

guilty.
    if they offer the driving course, take it.

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

what do you think ?:rolleyes:

9. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

That is a pretty stupid question from him, but then agai, things like voice recordings aren't accepted in court.

10. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

at least he had a fair chance - in the UK we used to have the game of copper hiding behind a tree or sign and jumping out with the speed gun ;)

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Yes, they will bring in the gun to court and show the judge the calibration papers for it. You're screwed.

IF you have a previously clean record, I would go before the judge and plead guilty with an explanatioin, stating that this was "a one time thing," which I am sure it is not, and that you would appreciate any consideration he could give taking into account your previous record.

If you were going 75 or 78 in a 65 I might feel sorry for you. Since it was almost 90, I hope they throw the book at you and you stop endangering other people's lives.

12. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Still happens in my area. It is quite funny how people try and warn you of where they are. They were talking on top gear about it the other week but the spirit f it is nice to see.

13. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Plead guilty by reason of insanity. ;)

I always fight speeding tickets because I disagree with most of the speed limits posted where I live. Not to say that I'm "right", but just because there is a law doesn't make the government right either.

That said, I just want to note that before this thread turns into an argument (like most threads do at MR anymore... and please don't argue that), I'm not going to defend my views about speed limit laws or any other laws, so let's not go there. Just wanted to post my opinion. :)

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Well it's not always that straightforward.

In built up areas I agree 100% but if that was on an open road or a motorway (I'm from the UK) and the conditions were ok then 88 is perfectly safe imo. Remember these limits are set when all cars had 4x drum brakes (having said that I rarely go above 80-85 on the mways here).

However in answer to the OP. Just own up and pay the fine the policeman is the witness and they'll believe him over you.

15. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

So whilst it might seem from my last post that I condone speeding (I don't, mostly) I find the way that people will warn each other quite useful for slowing people down in built up areas.

My road is a 30 limit as it's heavily built up. It's a fair limit and there are speed cushions that only affect small cars (!!)

There was a Range Rover thundering down the road toward me (doing at least 50) so whilst riding my bike toward him I scowl and tell him to slow down (by mouthing the words and waving my hand gently down) as, quite frankly, that kind of behaviour offends me. I was half expecting him to react in a bad way but instead he thinks I'm warning of a speed trap, slams on to below 30 and sticks his thumb up to thank me.

Result.

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    My first ticket ever was 94 in a 65, which was 20 MPH slower than I was going about 30 seconds before that.

Plead NO CONTEST. Not guilty. Also, talk to the DA, admit what you did was wrong and that you were an idiot for doing so, he'll probably drop it from 4 points to 2, and that's always a good thing. That's what I did. Course, this was 4 years ago when I did it.

17. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

fighting it may be tempting, but the courts are designed in such a way that unless there is some sort of major discrepancy or mistake by the police officer, you have no chance of beating the ticket. Traffic violations are a money making scam run by the state. The courts have no interest in letting that money go to waste.your best bet is to plead guilty, because they almost always drop the violation a level or two. Instead of 88 in a 65, they may drop it to 72 in a 65 (or something like that).

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if they offer the saftey course, they will probably lower it, if not take it off your record.

19. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I hate to say it, but you're hosed. And you're 18, which will be a double whammy. If you've got a hot car, you're definitely in trouble. Insurance will go up and also points will be assessed. If you plead not guilty, and go to court, there is an outside chance your ticket will be downgraded to driving at an unsafe rate of speed, and minimal points against your license. But there is also the potential that you will have to pay the ticket AND court costs. Check around your area and see what the courts are likely to do.

Use this as a lesson and SLOW DOWN. Its very easy to get infatuated with speed and the open road. I respect hot rods driven at roughly normal speeds more than I do the speed demons.

20. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Take the ticket, pay it, don't fight it, and then take the course. It's better for you to take the course and NOT get the ticket than anything else. It saves you money.

88 in a 65 is just far too reckless. If the limit was 70 and you were going 80 in the fast lane that's one thing, but almost 90? That's just reckless.

21. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

First of all, you're mightly lucky you were only clocked going 23 over; in most areas 25 over consitutes reckless driving (which is a more serious offense, and usually involves you not driving home after the ticket).

As for what you should do, here's my advice. If you're not worried about the money go to court. It will cost more (you'll almost certainly be found guilty, and you have to pay court costs), but it can help your point situation. Sometimes the officer will not show up, and sometimes they will just wipe it when you pay and put you on probation. This is less likely in your case because of how fast you were going, but it's a possibility.

It will also open up the possibility of taking a driving class like other people mentioned (which also costs money), which can help even more.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Johnbro23 needs to be honest and learn how to brown nose, kiss butt, etc, The Judge wants your/his money,not your points remember that.:cool:

23. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i say pay the ticket and take whatever they give you (driving class, or something similar). you know what you did was wrong and you probably knew at the time you shouldn't have been driving that fast, so just take whatever's given to you and move on.

24. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I know of some cases where the police didn't show the offender the gun after stopping him and the case got thrown out.

But that's Ireland where we have a very cavalier attitude to road safety.

25. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

80 in a 70 zone is safe but 90 in a 70 isn't and is reckless? Come on. A good portion of the traffic on my local interstate during the earlier morning commute hours does around 85 - 90. I've seen very few accidents occur because of the high speeds. Most of the accidents are a result of the stop and go traffic that occurs later in the afternoon. It might not be right, but as long as everyone is going fast I think higher speeds are fine, and almost as safe lower speeds. The difference in safety between 80 and 90 if everyone is going around that speed is slim in my mind.

Back to the original question... I'd just plead guilty and get through it. If you were that much over the limit even if the radar gun was off by a ton it wouldn't matter... you'd still be speeding.

I got caught going 78 in a 55 zone a while ago. This was on a country road by my house. (benthewraith and others... I admit this was dangerous and stupid) It was during exam week and I was coming home from school and anxious to get home and start studying for the next one. I honestly had no idea how fast I was going (my car feels the same at 55 as it does at 65 as it does at 105... I love stability). A cop came by the turn in the opposite direction and clocked me. I got off with a warning. I think he felt bad for me. He made me call my parents (who's name the car is in) and explain what I had done. In my state I would have lost my license for that.

Needless to say, I don't speed any more. Getting caught took away some of my feeling of invincibility and made me realize just how stupid I was. Its also really expensive to speed. My car eats gas above 70.