Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I gotta chime in here.

It reads like you bought a gremlin (as in automobile) to see what driving a car is like, kind of knowing inside that you do get what you pay for and then are surprised that it doesn't drive like a Ferrari.

I fail to see how people can be surprised when they buy garbage and then are completely surprised that its garbage. Then on top of that come into a forum which has been dedicated to "other" platforms and go on to tell us what a pos it is when we already all knew that. :rolleyes:

Would it not have been better to come into the forum and ask opinions as to the device, or do some research on the product of which there are lots to find on the internet, prior to buying it?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Indeed let's buy a discontinued android device with no support (or play store officially) and extrapolate generalizations for android as a whole, wohoo!

mikemike690

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
New Zealand
Why would you buy a Fire Phone and expect it to be like Android? The Fire Phone runs Amazon's skin on top and they have removed all of Google Play Services so there basically is no point at all to even think about buying this crap. If you wanted to try Android the Nexus or the Google Play Edition devices are best in showing off how Android works.

peter.anderson

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2015
i wanted to see how android people lived.

i purchased a used amazon fire phone for $30

it is a piece of crap and here is my review of it

1. i can't activate it on AT&T. amazon says the phone is ok. and they can't unlock it, imei websites say the phone is good. AT&T says this is a test or a not for retail or a prototype phone and it was not meant for resale and therefor i cannot get a sim card, to ever make it eligible for an unlock. i did not try going to the store , i went to the AT&T website, and told it i was bringing a device, i was entering the imei to get the sim card and it said their was a problem with the imei and to call customer service

2. the voice assistant is useless. it won't even tell you the day or the time. here is my stupid little youtube video testing asking the amazon flop phone the amazon echo questions

3. speed test tells me i have 15 mbps even though i only have 3

4. plex crashes. amazon charges $5 for plex, and all the app does is open for a split second find my plex server and then crash

5. i gave it 15 gigs of videos. only the AVI files played and none of the M4V files showed up on the phone. so there is like 8 gigs of video files on my amazon fire phone that won't even show up anywhere on the phone

6. i couldn't copy any files to it on my mac unless i ran android file transfer. how dare those people nitpick about us having to use iTunes to sync the iPhone, and i have to use "android file transfer" to copy content to my Amazon Fire Phone, and then find out it is hit or miss on video formats

7. i think the proximity sensor is broken, so pressing the home button doesn't show the amazon fire phones lock screen, it just blinks. but the rest of the phone works , i suspect the proximity sensor isn't working

8. i asked amazon how much it costs to replace the broken screen. the quote was $269 which costs $160 more or so then it would cost for an iphone screen changeout

did you get any solution for it . i just got Amazon Fire AT&T locked phone as a gift from my cousin. i m not eligible to get unlock code from At&t. do you know any reliable source to unlock it or anyone use this source : www.attunlockcode.com to unlock phone ?

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I also got one recently on firesale to test Android compatibility.

The 3D effect is cool but creepy, basically scanning your face. So I switched it off. And of course I don't use the voice or object recognition. Nor the web acceleration. What's the point of this phone then?

The earpiece is not working (typical), even with the latest system version available for this device.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I also got one recently on firesale to test Android compatibility.

The 3D effect is cool but creepy, basically scanning your face. So I switched it off. And of course I don't use the voice or object recognition. Nor the web acceleration. What's the point of this phone then?

The earpiece is not working (typical), even with the latest system version available for this device.

The same point as a Facebook phone. Both were epic failures since they were meant to milk a brand name. One thing Amazon has going is a nicely priced entry level tablet. But I am not too keen on tablets these days because after owning a Surface, a lot of the other tablets seem primitive since they just do basic apps and that's it.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The same point as a Facebook phone. Both were epic failures since they were meant to milk a brand name. One thing Amazon has going is a nicely priced entry level tablet. But I am not too keen on tablets these days because after owning a Surface, a lot of the other tablets seem primitive since they just do basic apps and that's it.
I don't think the Fire Phone is milking a brand. It is one of the few truly innovative models out there, but too aggressive and poorly executed.

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
so the OP bought an Amazon phone with a cracked screen for $30 to see "how the android people live" - that's similar to saying I bought a cheap Chinese iPhone knock off to see "how Apple people live" .. Lol

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I actually like buying products from Amazon like memory cards and other accessory gadgets. But I don't like Amazon-branded products since I was never into the Kindle or Fire.

I wished Amazon can try again. I feel this Fire Phone is like the Nintendo Virtual Boy of smartphones. What Amazon needs to do is emulate what Xiaomi is doing with flash sales and don't cripple Android. If they can emulate Xiaomi's way of selling phones at such a low cost eliminating the middlemen (carriers, retailers), maybe the next Fire Phone can succeed. Amazon has so much potential to do better. Just copy Xiaomi and don't cripple Android. Profit! Amazon can be the Xiaomi of the Western Hemisphere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.