I got iLife 06!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Roy Hobbs, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Post any questions you have and I will try to answer. Install will be done in 5 minutes

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

How much faster is iPhoto?

My copy of iPhoto 5 seems to scroll much faster than before since 10.4.4 but I'd pay the $90 bucks just for faster iPhoto opening/closing and the new editing features.

A quick review would be nice if you were willing to take the time.

4. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I've ordered iLife 06 as well and I'm looking forward to exploring the new improvements. With an iPhoto library close to 9000 pictures, I'm really hoping the speed improvements are significant.

It looks great. :)

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

How long does iPhoto take to actually start on your machine?
    On my 1.5GHz PB g4, it can take up to 15 seconds (mm.. stopwatch on my cell phone!)
    if it starts up faster, I may have to get me a copy of iLife 06

is iWeb of any use if you don't use .Mac; IE can you export to HTML? PDF? uh.. and other?

6. belvdr macrumors 601

7. Annon macrumors member

If you've got .Mac, can you upload an iWeb site so I can take a look at it?

8. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

How'd you get it so fast? iMovie speeds in real time? What computer you got! ANSWERS! WE NEED THEM!

9. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I was just about to start a thread about when people would start getting it, thats awsome you got it so soon. Do you think its worth the money? Im with Katie in seeing if have to use iWeb with .mac

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

How did you get it so soon? Do they have them for sale at MWSF?

If so, I really really gotta get there, pronto. I'm getting awfully interested in iWeb and .Mac since I'm utterly clueless when it comes to um... technology overall. :eek:

11. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Since they started shipping yesterday, its very possible the Apple retail stores have some copies already. Kinda like what happened with the shuffles last year.

12. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

They have them at the San Antonio Apple store. I went in during lunch, but I was not aware that I could not get the student discount on software at the Apple Store. I was going to buy it, but I decided to order it online with the discount instead. Now I wish I would have purchased it so I could play...:p

13. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

UGH

Can't wait to try it...I'm excited to see what changes will be in iPhoto, iMovie...well all of them :)

Maybe UPS will surprise me and deliver it a day early tomorrow :rolleyes:

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Down here the "estimated shipping time" went from 2-3 weeks to 1-2 days overnight.

Should be in my local Apple Centre by next week. I think they can do student discounts on the Apple software there so it'll only be $90. Tossing up whether to get it or not...

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

16. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

With 1.25Ghz, 1 gig of RAM and a 5,400rpm hard drive, 12 seconds. Very reasonable but the faster the better! I've stopped syncing my library with the iPod which was just ridiculous because I never used this feature and the iPod cache took up a lot of space. The usual speed improvements also help. Dark background, no shadows etc.

To be honest I've always been a little disappointed with iPhoto. I'm hoping version 6 will be better. I'll let you know how it is. :)

17. bridonohue macrumors newbie

got mine tonight also

arrived in less than 24 hours by ups. i went with standard free shipping also. don't trust the order status page, mine says it hasn't shipped yet. I will try to answer any questions also. i will play around with it for the next few hours and change all my .mac pages to iweb. btw, the package also comes with a trial of iwork.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

With my Spring 2005 iMac G5 (before the iSight update) 20" with the 250gb HDD I get 12 seconds too.

I like the scrolling through the "library" feature showing the dates and roll names. It does show me that I need to change the way I import photos in, in order to have that feature mean something in the long term.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does Safari seem snappier™ after the upgrade?

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Hard to say. I also did the 10.4.4 update yesterday that seems to have helped big time so far....

21. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I'd like to know how iWeb is because I'm very interested in getting a .Mac and the new iLife to make a website for all my video stuff.

Have you played with iWeb yet?

22. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I got it too. I put up a website (albeit with 2 pages) with iWeb, which is an amazing application btw. Steve Jobs did not do it justice, although he arguably didn't have time to :p .

I'll post the link to my website here:
    http://web.mac.com/c.peters06/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html
    ...in a minute

23. turtlebud macrumors 6502

what are your options for importing from a memory card/camera? Can you select pictures to download or do you have to download the entire memory card?

24. johnmcboston macrumors 6502

johnmcboston

Is it soup yet

Suppose the big question would be - any bugs? New versions out of th ebox are notorious to have some hiccup you have to live with while waiting for the first fix. Would love to get '06 now rather than in 3 months, hoping it fixes some '05 bug for me.

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I did a quickly just using the templates, adding nothing but a photo to one page and couple of text and link changes. http://web.mac.com/jlenkiewicz/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html .

So far I am impressed. Bit disappointed that you can not edit dates for blog entries. For I was thinking of doing a "blog" of my travels next month, but did not want to take away from my limited travel time and weight to carry my PB with me. I was going to handwriting my entries and transcribing them when I got back.

I can see that iWeb may be a good program for one of those "Missing Manual" books. I wonder if it can be extended by third parties like iMovie has been.

EDIT: Too bad it does not see possible to change the choice of theme for your blog once you have started...