Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
I got it too. I put up a website (albeit with 2 pages) with iWeb, which is an amazing application btw. Steve Jobs did not do it justice, although he arguably didn't have time to :p .

I'll post the link to my website here:
http://web.mac.com/c.peters06/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html
...in a minute

Thanks! It looks really good!

Can you have subpages as in go to a page and then have links to page within that section.

For example have a video's page, and then within the video's page link to different types of videos?

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Chip NoVaMac said:
I did a quickly just using the templates, adding nothing but a photo to one page and couple of text and link changes. (http://web.mac.com/jlenkiewicz/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html).

So far I am impressed. Bit disappointed that you can not edit dates for blog entries. For I was thinking of doing a "blog" of my travels next month, but did not want to take away from my limited travel time and weight to carry my PB with me. I was going to handwriting my entries and transcribing them when I got back.

I can see that iWeb may be a good program for one of those "Missing Manual" books. I wonder if it can be extended by third parties like iMovie has been.

EDIT: Too bad it does not see possible to change the choice of theme for your blog once you have started...

That's pretty cool. Your link is a bit messed up though...it includes the ). at the end as part of the link so it won't load the page. I may have to get iLife after all. Are there any templates that aren't so narrow?

Here is is posted correctly

http://web.mac.com/jlenkiewicz/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
I received the Apple Australia "shipped" email a couple of hours ago, so may receive it tomorrow.
I'm particularly interested in a comparison of iWeb with Rapidweaver (which I find very easy to use for simple websites such as this).

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Is there an option in iWeb to turn off the cheesy "Made on a Mac" badge, or would you have to go in and edit those out by hand?

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Me too! :D Just came back from the Palo Alto apple store (no date for new hardware sadly... but tons of Stanford girls asking questions about different software at the genius bar) and its installing as we spe- I type. :p Oh sweet SJ RDF... how I love thee. :cool:

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I'm wondering how the new iMovie themes perform on older machines like a 1Ghz G4 iMac? Anyone have a similar machine and willing to test this out?

Thanks.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Chip NoVaMac said:
I did a quickly just using the templates, adding nothing but a photo to one page and couple of text and link changes. (http://web.mac.com/jlenkiewicz/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html).

So far I am impressed. Bit disappointed that you can not edit dates for blog entries. For I was thinking of doing a "blog" of my travels next month, but did not want to take away from my limited travel time and weight to carry my PB with me. I was going to handwriting my entries and transcribing them when I got back.

I can see that iWeb may be a good program for one of those "Missing Manual" books. I wonder if it can be extended by third parties like iMovie has been.

EDIT: Too bad it does not see possible to change the choice of theme for your blog once you have started...

Warning: my post is all web stuff. If I don't make any sense to you, sorry!

The amazing thing is that it all validates as XHTML 1.0 Transitional, and tentatively as XHTML 1.0 Strict!. I knew that the team (I presume Dunstan is on it) would do their very best to make the code standards compliant. Too bad CSS couldn't be put in an outside file for everything, but you can't complain too much! I know they say that every browser is supported, but I wonder what their browser profile (what browsers get full styling) is.
-Chasen

bridonohue

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
not sure if this is a bug...

or i just haven't figured it out yet.

I created a 15 page website with iweb. after i made the pages i changed the order, but i web still has them titled in hyperlinks by the order they were put in. i don't think you can change the text. so the hyperlinks on my pages looks something like this:

Welcome Movie Movie 10 Movie 8 Movie 9 Movie 2 Photos 3

Over all a great program and makes the old .mac homepage look a decade out of date.

Iphoto is faster on my machine(IMAC G5 3rd G) and I have 19,000 photos. The new themes and menus in Imovie and Idvd alone make the cost worthwild to me. I am also impressed with the new books and the ease in creating them in iphoto.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
rendezvouscp said:
Warning: my post is all web stuff. If I don't make any sense to you, sorry!

The amazing thing is that it all validates as XHTML 1.0 Transitional, and tentatively as XHTML 1.0 Strict!. I knew that the team (I presume Dunstan is on it) would do their very best to make the code standards compliant. Too bad CSS couldn't be put in an outside file for everything, but you can't complain too much! I know they say that every browser is supported, but I wonder what their browser profile (what browsers get full styling) is.
-Chasen
Yea, it might all validate, but that code is a huge mess. I guess it can't really be helped with the type of software being used to create it.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
rendezvouscp said:
The amazing thing is that it all validates as XHTML 1.0 Transitional, and tentatively as XHTML 1.0 Strict!

Wow, that's good to hear. Usually these simple website apps where you "don't need to know any code" create an awful mess of code that doesn't validate as anything. I look forward to tinkering with it.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jholzner said:
That's pretty cool. Your link is a bit messed up though...it includes the ). at the end as part of the link so it won't load the page. I may have to get iLife after all. Are there any templates that aren't so narrow?

Here is is posted correctly

http://web.mac.com/jlenkiewicz/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

Thanks. I corrected my original post.

I think the narrow templates is a long term solution. I think this plays well for a future MacTV that was rumored for this past show.

I used to sell computer hardware, and there was no profit there. It was in services. For Apple services in the the past meant AppleCare. To a lesser degree it meant .Mac, until this week. With the greater storage, and greater bandwidth - .Mac has come to be something worth while.

But with iWeb, I can see a very near future of .Mac members (myself included), that can find themselves maxing the 1gb transfer rate with the new capabilities (all depending on their popularity). Apple is allowing .Mac members 1gb transfer a month. The next jump is 25gb a month for about $50US a year.

I hate to say it, but vanity does have its price. For if my future iWeb blog was a hit, I might be willing to pay the piper in order to keep it going.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
iMeowbot said:
Is there an option in iWeb to turn off the cheesy "Made on a Mac" badge, or would you have to go in and edit those out by hand?

I did delete that "by accident" in the template view.

I will have to check it out when "published".

This page shows that I was able to delete "Made on a Mac"

http://web.mac.com/jlenkiewicz/iWeb/Site/Blog/25212EDA-1D08-4EB0-A392-BA06C6D2E616.html

To be honest I am open on this issue.

I do prefer a cleaner look, at the same time I welcome the opportunity to show others what the Mac can do that they can't...

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
i bought my copy today in the apple store at victoria gardens in socal. iPhoto feels fast beyond belief ! I opened all the other apps and they seem a bit slow ot open for the first time but on subsequent openings things went much smoother. And im not sure its been mentioned but all the apps feature that plastic look that itunes has. All in all i say it was worth the money spent.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
bridonohue said:
or i just haven't figured it out yet.

I created a 15 page website with iweb. after i made the pages i changed the order, but i web still has them titled in hyperlinks by the order they were put in. i don't think you can change the text. so the hyperlinks on my pages looks something like this:

Welcome Movie Movie 10 Movie 8 Movie 9 Movie 2 Photos 3

Over all a great program and makes the old .mac homepage look a decade out of date.

Iphoto is faster on my machine(IMAC G5 3rd G) and I have 19,000 photos. The new themes and menus in Imovie and Idvd alone make the cost worthwild to me. I am also impressed with the new books and the ease in creating them in iphoto.

I was able to reorder things with no problem....

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Chip NoVaMac said:
I did a quickly just using the templates, adding nothing but a photo to one page and couple of text and link changes. http://web.mac.com/jlenkiewicz/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html .

So far I am impressed. Bit disappointed that you can not edit dates for blog entries. For I was thinking of doing a "blog" of my travels next month, ... I was going to handwriting my entries and transcribing them when I got back.
I checked out your site, it looks amazing, especially the slideshow.

BTW, it seems like you have found a way to edit the dates for blog entries. Is that true?

I kinda like the "Made on a Mac" stamp. No harm in advertising Apple to the world, a few more switchers could be nice.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
theBB said:
I checked out your site, it looks amazing, especially the slideshow.

Never checked that feature out, yes it is cool.

BTW, it seems like you have found a way to edit the dates for blog entries. Is that true?

You see the proof in the site that I published.

I should note that an entry or two do reflect being able to take your computer with you and do entries and "publish" when you have internet access.

I kinda like the "Made on a Mac" stamp. No harm in advertising Apple to the world, a few more switchers could be nice.

Sort of the way I feel.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
I think so

EDIT - in iWEB you just delete it like any other object

:)

iMeowbot said:

go into file with a editor like Go Live and delete it.

I've been doing that with the script that sowes ALL the sited at the top of the page (other albums)

Might work

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
iriejedi said:
go into file with a editor like Go Live and delete it.

I've been doing that with the script that sowes ALL the sited at the top of the page (other albums)

Might work

LOL oh man, you are the first person I've ever come across who when making a quick reference to an editor, used Go Live. That is the first time I've heard Go Live referenced in at least a year. You rock. :cool: Time for me to sleep.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
iriejedi said:
http://web.mac.com/iriejedi/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

LAME but for 5 minutes - i like iWeb... I think

Good. You showed the power of iWeb. I even redid my welcome page with a song and graphic based on what you did. http://web.mac.com/jlenkiewicz/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

It does open up what is fair use though. Can we post a like you and I did a song that means something? That adds to the value of what we are trying to say? Can we post a favorite cartoon strip like the one floated this week the day before the keynote? Just what is allowed?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i was at my store (walt witman) and it was sold out :eek: only got a few copies, they did have some iwork in stock....
They didn't have ilife 06 or iwork on any of the computers :(

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Did you know you can also add Flash to iWeb sites? This is so cool I feel like maybe I shouldn't share it... but here goes: Make a couple of slides in Keynote. Export them to Flash. Drag the Flash file into an iWeb page. Done!

Also (and I'm not totally sure exactly how iWeb is doing this), if you use a fancy font for a title or some such, iWeb converts it to a PNG graphic for use on the site, but you can still edit it as text in iWeb! Very cool.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time with this application over the next few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.