I got Mine. CLONE yours!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rantingrich, Aug 15, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

AM working on my NEW 12 core Mac Pro! WOO HOO! Not one bust bunny inside. I ordered a 240 gb SSD from OWC last week and it came BUT did NOT include a Adapter bracket for the 3.5 HD Bay. I was thinking i could just plug in the wire harnesses into it and leave it hanging.. NOPE! SO OWC sent me a bracket that UPS say is out for delivery! So here I sit.....

I thought most of not all SSDx came with a adapter bracket! Had to pay another 40 bucks for it. BUT when it gets here I will need to clone the 7200 HD to the SSD... Does anyone know of any good CLONING SW preferably FREE!:confused:

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Carbon Copy Cloner isn't free, but it's highly recommended. There is a free trial.

3. macrumors 601

SuperDuper! is what I have always used and trust; it is free for the basics. You pay to get extras like "smart" backups which is worth it to me for a continual bootable clone in case anything goes wrong. I have tried CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) in the past but never had good luck with it.

4. macrumors 68040

Most of use use the ICY Dock plastic case to convert our 2.5" SSD to 3.5" drives. Cost me about $15 from Amazon (but I have read some reliability issues with them so hard to say). Further, yes many SSD's come with converters, but none of the 3-4 I had sitting in my drawer of "computer crap" worked with the Mac Pro Sleds since the converters were designed to be held in place by side screws and not the bottom screws (if that makes sense?). I actually plugged my SSD into the 1st slot, and held it "upright" by putting a small box between the top of the front fan shroud and the bottom of the SSD until my ICY Dock arrived (when I realized none of the SSD converters would work).

5. macrumors regular

Garen

Big congrats on your new MACPRO, I use CCC but you could use Disk Utility to clone it and it is free and included with all OSX versions that I'm aware of.

Garen

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Du

I am looking at Apples DU and dont see any CLONE options

7. macrumors 603

philipma1957

I have never been able to make a working clone with apples disc utility. superduper works it is free. the basic program is good enough.

8. macrumors 601

It's not obvious:

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/147

SuperDuper! is my preferred method by far, and it's free too for basic use. Much more straightforward than DU and much better IMHO.

9. macrumors 601

derbothaus

If you clone with DU you have to be booted from an external source. SuperDuper and CCC can clone while booted in the environment I believe.
    But yes, CCC and Disk Utility are free! Unless you want to throw down something to bombich as it is technically shareware.

10. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not anymore. With version 3.5, CCC is no longer free.

11. Loa
    macrumors 65816

Loa

Not anymore for CCC. But if you ever donated to them, you get a free activation code.

Loa

12. macrumors 601

derbothaus

That must be why every backup cycle no matter what nag option I choose it wants me to "upgrade";)
    OK. Totally worth it and he deserves it. Saved many rear ends.

13. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can disable that:

14. hfg
    macrumors 68030

hfg

15. macrumors 601

derbothaus

Thanks I didn't see it in usual Prefs.