I got my mission call!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by P-Worm, May 12, 2004.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I got my mission call for my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I'm going to be spending 2 years of my life at my own expense serving God and my fellow man in London. I got called to the London England South mission and I am very excited!

It's going to be hard on me (I won't be allowed to touch a computer for the 2 years that I am serving) and I will have no idea what Apple will be up to during that time. :eek:

I think this will be a really good experience for me, serving 24 people 24 hours a day for 2 years is guaranteed to humble you in ways you can't imagine, and if there is anything I could use, it would be humility.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of people here that live in London (iGav?) so is there anything I should no before I make a fool of myself?

I love you guys and I will miss you all a lot. Luckily I leave August 11 so that gives me time to prepare and hopefully see those fabled Powerbook G5's. :D

P-Worm

2. Freakk123 macrumors regular

Oh my gosh, congrats! What you are doing is extremely admirable. You will be greatly missed on these forums!

3. Awimoway macrumors 65816

London is a fun town. I wish you well. My biggest fear when I was waiting for my call was that I'd have to go to Japan (not to mention several other seafood-predominant countries). I love and respect Japanese culture, but I have serious issues with eating anything that lives in the water, and I knew I would starve to death in Japan. I was very happy to serve my 2 years in Colorado and Wyoming. :)

4. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Fantastic, my best friends older brother served his mission in London as well. I admire the dedication of my LDS friends who have chosen to do missions.

5. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Haha. I had the same fear but with squash instead of fish (in fact I love fish). Squash on the other hand makes me puke. Here's to not going to the south!

P-Worm

6. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Im with you on your phobia of seafood. Just the smell of seafood makes me nauses... ecspecially any kind of fish. The only seafood I ever ate was fishsticks, and since then, I have had a serious fear of seafood.

7. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

8. CartoonHeroII macrumors member

CartoonHeroII

Congratulations!

Hey, thats great! :) One of my best friends is in the Manchester, England mission and he is loving it over there. I can't wait until July 14th, because that's when I leave for my mission in Virginia. I have most of my friends in South American countries on their missions, and I wanted to go to either Japan or Africa. But with all the historical sites in Virginia I'm excited to be going, plus my grandfather went there on his mission, so it'll be cool. Anyway, I hope you like England, and come back with a cool accent to impress all the ladies with ;)

Again, Congratulations!!!!

9. Awimoway macrumors 65816

That must be tough, living in Providence. I imagine they eat a lot of seafood there, being that close to the coast.

My grandparents grew up right on the beach (in Puget Sound, Washington) and fished and clam-digged all their lives. They both served in the Navy. They were thoroughgoing sea people and they wanted to disown me 'cause I wouldn't eat fish. It just tastes so… fishy. My mom said I liked fish when I was a baby but I got sick on it once when I was really young. Perhaps that's what did it. Anyway, I've tried fish again now that I'm a lot older. I think I probably could like it if it didn't conjure up such strong flashbacks of the times when I was a kid and was forced to eat fish (I say "forced" but I should clarify — I couldn't leave the table until I had eaten at least several bites, but there were some long evenings spent sitting in the dining room :rolleyes: ).

I would love to travel to Japan, but I just can't imagine how I would deal with the smells, let alone the food offerings.

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

So what are you going to do while you are there?

11. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

You're not allowed to walk by the London Apple Store and look at the window displays??

12. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Nope, just a Mac site with a few mormons (apparently, I had no idea).

Serve those in need and if they are willing, teach them about our church's gospel and how it can help them.

Well, I'm not supposed to go shopping for a computer while I'm there (I'll have no need for one), but if I happen to pass buy, I might "accidentaly" see what new stuff Apple has brought to the table. ;)

Anyway, thanks you guys. I still have a few months here, so I'll be around. The community here is great and if the people that I converse with on my mission are half as nice as the people here, I will be truly blessed.

P-Worm

13. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I hate to spoil the party, but "if they are willing" is anything like what I saw when in Utah for 6 months then if feel sorry for those poor souls.

As someone who kept to myself about religion (or my lack of beliefs in it) I was harassed and almost literally assaulted by mormon's on many occasions as they tried to convince me to switch to mormonism.

This type of behaviour is completely inexcusable.

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i don't know but some years ago members of a american church (don't know which) were on 'a mission' here too.. trying to 'switch' young people in front of shopping malls etc. ... all wearing suits ...and in their 20ties

i haven't talked to them.. but i felt sorry for them... standing there with people at yor age laughing about you...

is that what your 'mission' is ? i don't know about that stuff...

15. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Like much of New England, they love seafood here, ecspecially New England Clam Chowder (which is equally disgusting as fish). I once met someone who "didn't like seafood" because they only ate shrimp and lobster. I somehow manage to get by though. :p

16. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

Don't be suprised if you encounter a distinct lack of faith in the UK. Church attendence levels, and people who believe in god have taken a sharp drop over the last twenty years in the UK. A recent study showed that under 40% of people in the UK stated that they believed in a god and less than 48% of people who do believe attend regular worship.

Personally I'm not a believer, but it sounds like you are really stoked about this mission, good luck and enjoy :)

17. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

Hang on..... do you mean:

London, New England, USA?

or

London, England, UK?

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Those are the people who tend to be easiest to convert. There are a lot of people who feel that they are missing something spiritually and try to fill the void with other things (sex, drugs, country music *shudder*)

Personally, when LDS'ers come around I try to convert them. :)

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

If he's like most Mormon missionaries you see in the U.S., he'll be learning to ride a bike while wearing a suit. ;)

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Sorry to hear that. I've never been to Utah, but I am a little skeptical about your "almost literally" being assaulted by Mormons. I'm a Christian, and while my beliefs are quite different from those of the LDS church, I've always been able to have very civil discussions with the Mormons I've known.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Some folks consider fish as seafood where as shellfish is something else.

Go figure.

But it happens.

So what you are saying makes perfect sense to me! :eek:

BTW, you haven't lived until you've had good sushi. I mean really good sushi that melts in your mouth like a good steak. It is a wonderful and enjoyable experience. Unfortunately, most never get this opportunity -- especially outside Japan.

One of the best places that I had sushi was in Hokkaido. Nothing was on display. No menus. No prices. Wonderful place.

I never ate much fish until I came to Japan. The Japanese definitely know how to prepare cooked fish as well. There are many kinds of grilled fish that are out of this world.

...dang, I am getting hungry! :D

Sushi

22. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

mmmm, tell me about it...I'm going on a term abroad in osaka in the fall it's gonna be awesome

But, on a more relevant note, I personally take some issue with those who try to aggresively proselytize others to their faiths. Believing in something because someone tells you its a good idea isn't what religion is about. If you want to share what you believe and possibly explain it, thats one thing, but trying to convince me that what you believe is the end-all, be-all is another.

23. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Congrats P-Worm!

My mission to Sao Paulo, Brazil was one of the best things I ever did in my life. Hope you have a good experience and I'm sure you will do good work over there.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good for you.

Bring money. Unfortunately, eating out at the upscale places can be expensive. And sashimi/sushi is always expensive.

I had one of my favorite sashimi's last week. Live lobster. Very good. Not cheap. Oh, and after you have sashimi, they take what is left over and make a soup out of it. Very nice.

Yeah, before I came to Japan, I could not imagine eating the things that I do today. Let's just say that the Japanese are very creative with their dishes.

Oh, and you can get all kinds of international food in Japan.

Sushi

25. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Be safe, be brave, make Jesus known, and make sure your living matches your talking as much as possible.

I wish more of Christianity had this practice/tradition for its young people.