I got my new 1Gig SD Powerbook!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mcrain, Dec 9, 2002.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I mentioned this in the private forums, but I thought I ought to let the rest of you know. I got my 1Gig Superdrive powerbook a couple of days ago. I'm just now starting to figure some of it out, and don't have half a clue how to use a lot of it, but I can tell you this much, it is really, really nice. Way, way more computer than I could ever need.

A few observations.

It was fast before, but is really quick now. (One of the 512Mb chips wasn't being seen)

The screen is beautiful! Much brighter and sharper than I remember my friends Rev B being.

People here oooooh and ahhhh over its looks.

I haven't used a mac in ages, and everything I've tried to do has been simple so far.

I need a good internet connection with this type of computer, so much of what it does and can do is integrated with the internet.

I'll post more about it later when I have used it more.

2. iGav macrumors G3

Re: I got my new 1Gig SD Powerbook!

Cool....... so what are you going to use all that computer for now???

I just received shipment notification today on my one (exact same spec as yours!!) so I'm very patiently waiting to join the 1GHz club!!! :D

3. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: Re: I got my new 1Gig SD Powerbook!

I have no idea. I'm obviously using it for common tasks like creating documents and internet access. I've also been using it for iTunes with an iPod. The most demanding thing I'll do is create dvd's of my family and vacations. Like I said, it is far more computer than I need, but that's ok.

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: I got my new 1Gig SD Powerbook!

for a laptop, two years is the longest a machine can last these days for most users

you probably saved money in the long run, because if your needs are modest and the machine is too much for you now, you may actually get four years from the thing

and let's say you paid about $3,500 for it with tax... that comes out to $875 dollars a year operational cost...or the approx. equivalent of having two 800 mhz 14" inch ibooks back to back for two years each

you did well, and if i ever got around to having the discipline to save up enough for the high end powerbook, i would do the same

5. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: I got my new 1Gig SD Powerbook!

You'll probably find you end up becomming more creative... the more you get to grips with the machine!!

It's quite amazing that a newcomer to the Mac world is already talking about making DVD's.... The technology is becomming so accessible and so easy to use that doing these things are easily possible now, even for quite inexperienced users!!

Wicked!!

6. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: Re: I got my new 1Gig SD Powerbook!

Get that guitar out, and get busking boy!! :D :p

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I got my new 1Gig SD Powerbook!

i got busted twice at victoria station:D

8. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I got my new 1Gig SD Powerbook!

I got busted twice in the changing rooms at victoria's secret.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I got my new 1Gig SD Powerbook!

I new people had to be messed up in the head to make taxes their living, but...:eek: :D