I got my new PowerBook...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hob, Mar 5, 2004.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Hey everyone, you'll be ever so glad to hear I finally got my new 12" PB... but of course, there's always a problem...!

I'm using a Linksys Wireless B router, and my Airport Extreme card has trouble connecting to it...

I'm currently sitting no less than 2 meters from it and it has less than 40% signal... When I'm transferring bits from my old iBook, I'm using a peer-to-peer wireless network, which connects fine... I had heard some rumblings about AE and Linksys, but couldn't really find much....

And is that a white spot I see...?

2. OziMac macrumors 6502

Hey Hob,

I know this hardly helps you, but I have Airport Extreme and was able to hook up to a Linksys WRT54G network without any problems at all, in several different networks. At one network, with DHCP, all I needed to do was switch it on and I was straight on, with great reception in the surrounding area. With another I needed a manually assigned IP, but once that was in, again it was fine within a radius of about 50 metres. I can't imagine why you seem to be having problems - everything is fine with the wireless router, right? Anyway, hope you can sort it out - Airport Extreme on the little 12" Powerbook is unreal when fully functional.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

take out your battery and check the cable going into the airport ext. card. when i first hooked mine up, the cable was connected but it wasn't snug. that gave me about a few feet in wireless range. once i plugged in the cable all the way, it was working as expected...

just a thought. (but because your p2p works, this might not be the case...)

good luck.

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

maybe i have missed something. the airport extreme on my 12" PB sucks. . . it gets about 2-3meters smaller radius from the base station than my iBook did. does airport extreme only work well with the apple airport extreme base station?

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I have a Netgear Wirless Router that I use at home and initially had some problems with dropped signal. When I was at the Apple Store one day my PB had some problems connnecting to their network as well. One the the "genius" guys showed me some settings in "Internet Connect" that helped.

He said to either turn off ethernet connection or move it to the bottom of the list. When Airport is at the top of the list the PB sees that setting first and uses that instead of having to try Ethernet ffirst and then work it's way down to Airport.

Sure nuff it worked like a charm. I have great range on the wireless now and it only drops out once in awhile. When it does drop out I just log off and log back in - usually works - every so often I hva e to do a full restart befor it can connect to the wireless network.

Hope this helps.

6. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

My 12inch gets great reception. I have a D-link router and they had some stupid propietary (spelling) thing that would take 802.11b and run it at 22mb/sec. AE obviously hated this, but once i turned it off and got to normal 802.11b, it worked great. Maybe your linksys has something like this.

7. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

That was it man! I opened it up, and it looked pretty fine, so i pulled it out a little, and then in again - and now it's perfect :) I have full signal, and I don't think i'm suffering the dropped packet thing a few people have mentioned....

Thanks for your help everyone :)

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

excellent! i remember being a bit panicky because i expected a bit more than a few feet as my "wireless" range. :D

9. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Exactly!! Why is it that with the PowerBook we have to install our own card whereas with the iBook it's pre-installed - when people like me are obviously not qualified :p