I got my new PowerMac G5 December 10 with iLife 04 now 35 days later iLife 05..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TheBunnellFarm, Jan 16, 2005.

1. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

Will Apple do anything for me except sell me the 05 upgrade..do they have anything in place for this occurance..thanks

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Flippin' call them and ask!

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Most of the Up-to-Date programs usually cover you from the day the new program is announced.

So basically once you've opened the computer box that you bought before the announcement, your SOL.

4. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

You are stuck paying the 19.99 upgrade I imagine that a lot of people are mad who got it for Christmas. I got my iMac on December 6 but I'm ok. :)

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....not quite right....there is no "19.95 upgrade" per se...that is only available for purchases of iLife or computers with iLife installed *after Jan 11, 2005" - this is all spelled out at Apple's iLife 05 up-to-date page. So to the original poster - if you want iLife 05 you'll have to buy it at full price.....oh yeah!

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Get over it!

I don't understand people who think they should automatically qualify for an upgrade...WHEN you bought your computer, you received the latest software with it. Regardless of whether new software was released two days or two months afterwards, why should you qualify for a free newer version? You got exactly what you paid for.
    Now...is iLife '04 broken? Does it not work as advertised? Do you even know the difference between it and iLife '05? Be happy with what you purchased.

7. unfaded macrumors 6502

There is one very easy solution to this.

Don't buy right before a Macworld :)

8. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

You're right, Duff-Man :)

9. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

Hi, how are you?

Looks like it's an ugly crowd tonight! :rolleyes: I haven't actually seen iLife 05 yet other than what was shown on the Keynote. But what I saw completely blew me away. Actually, truth be told, I ordered it even before I watched the Keynote ... I was reading the sites that had people at the keynote and were posting updates as they happened. iLife 05 sounds incredible! iPhoto 05 now handles RAW images from digital cameras, plus the movies that some digital cameras take. Not only that, but it looks like they've added part of Photoshop, as the editing tools are much more robust. Oh yeah, and they've also added a calendar view, so you can now find images by date. Plus they've put a search field in the lower right hand corner, so searching by keywords is very simple. And that's just what they did to iPhoto! iMovie now edits HD video, iDVD has 12 new themes, and Garage Band can now record up to 8 tracks simultaneously. At $79 I think what you get is well worth the price of admission. I ordered the Family pack, as I've got 4 Macs. For $20 more you can (legally) load it on up to 5 computers in your household. I know that the timing is unfortunate, but if you did decide to go for it I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed. It might be worth a trip to an Apple store to take a look at it. It won't be available to purchased until the 22nd, but they might have it installed on some of their Macs. And if you decide not to upgrade, and instead stick with iLife 04, it's still great code.

Regards,
    Marc

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...and that is perhaps where part of the problem is. MWSF is just 2 weeks after the busiest shopping season of the year, and apple virtually always has some new goods to announce at the show and some of these things are always going to annoy people that bought for the Christmas season...so....should perhaps MWSF be held later, like mid-February or even first week of March? And hey, if they did move it back, maybe some of those things that get announced and are always "ships in 6 weeks" will be available immediately....heheheh.....oh yeah!