I Got My Shiney New Apple

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by RobHague, Sep 7, 2005.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

Jul 8, 2005
    Sooo this might not be that important to most people, but I was umming and arring over a Mac config for a while. Then came to time I could afford to buy (urrm well pay for it anyway) and i was unsure of the spec to go for. I finally choose though and it arrived recentley.

Well got it setup now and im impressed. I was expecting OSX to be different but it makes Windows XP look antiquated. It feels totally different to XP, everything seems to flow. I love the one button mouse! I was dreading that but i got used to it instantley which was strange (my PC mouse had like 5 buttons lol).

The system is top quality, it really does look like £3000's worth of Computer. The Apple Cinema Display is a work of art too - no plastic in sight. Infact id be willing to pay for it just to have it on display so i could look at it and go "Oooooooooooo". I got this system mainly for play, i dont have some job in media/video editing or anything like that but id like to get Photoshop for it - on XP photoshop seemed to act like a dog dispite the RAM/CPU speed :rolleyes: - and hopefully the end of crashs. Maybe it was the latest version of Photoshop? But under XP it was AWFUL! I kept getting program errors when trying to save work - cost me a lot of time and effort that did :mad: .

Can't wait to download the Halo demo and see how kick ass that will look on the 20" Cinema Display! I have never been more impressed with a Computer, including all my PC updates in the past - feels like a real upgrade.

Anyways, I have no internet access with it at the moment :( i bought a Netgear DG632 which should hopefully be easy to install. Looks the part too! =)

I do have one question though, about OSX actually, im used to the Windows Folder structures - when i open up the Mac HDD it seems... odd. Anywhere i can find out a bit more so i can understand it a bit better - Although i guess i could go through the manual again (this time not just flicking through it) :D

Anyway, just to say glad i made the switch. Shame ive been missing out all this time without realising it.

Btw system spec incase you wondered what i ended up buying :-

PowerMac G5 2.3Ghz DP
    1.5GB of RAM
    GeForce 6800 GT DDL
    250Gb HDD
    20" Apple Cinema Display
    Harmon Kardon SounSticks II

Those are the high lights :) regards.

I have a glass desk, the weight of the PowerMac worries me a little. It was HEAVY. And glass desks (at least from what ive seen of the others anyway) seem to be very minimal in design and look rather flimsy... maybe i should have gone for something in wood to be safer :confused:
  2. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Congrats on your new machine!

With respect to your glass desktop... you can get a thicker glass desktop to replace your existing one. I've replaced a few glass tabletops that are supporting heavy objects... as long as you get something fairly thick (3/4" should suffice), you shouldn't have any problems with the glass succumbing to the weight of your computer.
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
  4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I've heard from other switchers that the default file organization in OS X is more confusing to Windows. To me it's definitely the exact opposite. In OS X, applications go in /Applications, pictures go in ~/Pictures, Music in ~/Music, etc. What is it about it that's confusing to you? One thing that you should get used to is using your home folder, instead of the root drive to store things. Generally you put all of your documents (music, pictures, video, etc) in your home folder, and the root directory is for system stuff, and generally isn't where you should put your own stuff. Your home folder is /Users/<youusername>

The only thing that was confusing to me at first is where in the file system other hard drives, CDs/DVDs, usb drives etc are. They're in /Volumes/<name ofdrive>, but you don't really need to know that unless you're using the Terminal, because they'll always show up in the Finder sidebar, and on the Desktop.
  5. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 8, 2005
    Yeah thats it mostley. In windows im used to seeing 'Program Files' and the Windows Folder and a host of other system type files.

When i look at the HDD in OSX its like 6 neat folders lol and im like... urrrm what exactley is what.

Originally when i posted this btw, i was defaulting to looking at my 'Home' folder and thats why i was confused - I wanted to see the actual Hard Drive - I was assuming Home is like My Documents...

Im sure ill get used to it, its just a bit wierd not knowing where all those vital system files and such might be lurking.. in the "System" folder im guessing :eek: but knowing whats important and what isnt is always a help lol.
  6. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    Best thing is to forget everything you knew about Windows and don't try to compare OS X to it.... whatever you thought you knew about computing before was WRONG ;) Now just sit back and enjoy!
  7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    Although I still haven't updated it as I wanted, you might find it interesting.

Mac Starter Guide

Oh, and congrats. :)
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Congrats on the awesome new Power Mac G5 RobHague!
    Enjoy!!! :D