I got onto TV! I think!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

See I don't know. Does this make any sense, probably only applies to Americans as I've never heard of G4?

http://satansam.co.uk/blog/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=43
    or just read
    If anyone out there has an EyeTV or whatever and can record this show for me when it repeats then I will be VERY grateful!

Or is this not TV? Maybe its some kind of streaming internet thing? I honestly have no idea what any of this means :eek:

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

3. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I think it's G4Tech, which is either a broadcasting company or a tv channel or something, which do computer/technology shows. I'm in Australia and we used to have a channel on 'Austar' called TechTv which was made by G4Tech. Either that answers you question or I got it completely wrong and confused everyone! :p
    EDIT: I think this is it G4Tv

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Yeah, no, Cinematech is big news. It's shown on (I think) all satellite providers, and is a regular show for G4tv. I've seen it multiple times, and it's going to be GREAT exposure. Congrats.

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It's the bestest TV channel in the US! Imagine an entire channel devoted to geeks :D They even have a Myspace Girl Of The Week :p
    They have various podcasts of clips from shows (such as Attack Of The Show and XPlay)

I thought it was that TechTV got bought up by whoever makes G4, then accidently dissolved most of it's programming :p

6. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Um, why would they show his game on 'Cinematech'? That show is reserved for sucking only. All they do is show game intros, they don't actually tell you anything.

If they talked about anything, it was probably on 'Attack of the Show' (the new, crappy version of 'The Screen Savers').

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Please! you PVR/EyeTV owners!

Thanks for the heads up guys. I had no idea what G4 was, I kept thinking "doesn't he mean GT" as in Game Trailers. :)

8. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

raggedjimmi is there still plans to release a Mac version? I've been interested for some time, and now even more so :D

Congrats that's great news for you :)

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'll tape it and send you a copy only if you port it to OS X. :p Finally something to hold over your head! Actually, the only way for me to record something is with my TiVo, and I am too cheap/lazy to put a network card in it, so I can't send it to you. :(

Congrats, though that's a big deal! On the other hand, I'd be a little annoyed they didn't contact you and ask or at least notify you that they were going to using your game on the show.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Good for you man....doesn't cinematech run game intros and that sorts....that show sucks along with G4tech TV(IMO well thats what they use to name) but congrats none the less...damn i miss techTV.

Bless

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

The challenge lies in getting into British TV. We're not so much gamers and we only have 1 Sky (or used to) channel devoted to games. Which I think now turned into another advert channel, plus it filmed in Italy with English presenters and made very little sense. GameNetwork was it?

Pity Games Master went and died :(
    Cybernet maybe? If that's still going!

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

Awesome news. Congrats, jimmi.

I miss TechTV. Leo Laporte was and still is the man. Stupid G4.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

G4 is the worst channel ever created.

TechTV was the best channel ever created.

G4 bought TechTV, cancelled every TechTV show except XPlay, fired everyone except the cast of XPlay and two or three people from The Screen Savers, and basicly runs a bunch of shows with annoying cast members that are stereotype gamers obsessed with blood, gore, and anything that's popular. I can't stand the channel. The only shows worth watching are XPlay (retains the original TechTV cast) and Cinematech (shows footage from games all day long, has no cast members).

I'll give you an example of why I hate the channel.

http://www.elecplay.com/reviews_article.php?article=411

Read it and weep.

And yes, Leo Laporte was and still is the man.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The beauty of TechTV is that they also talked about everything tech not just games...it was wonderful and the screensavers/xplay was excellent...glad they got rid of the martin(whatever his name is) show. Now G4 only do games which isn't bad but the cast suck and it gets boring. The techTv cast was fun and geeky at the same time.

Sorry didn't mean to jack the thread....kinda

Bless

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I agree fully. I would watch Tech Live, The Screen Savers, Call for Help, and XPlay every day, and record The Screen Savers when I couldn't watch it.

The Screen Savers and Call for Help had Mac tips and Linux tips even. Awesome shows. I remember Tech Live usually covered Apple and Nintendo products (things a lot of G4 shows either discount or make fun of- the only guy on G4 that likes Macs is constantly made fun of, and they've smashed PowerMacs with sledgehammers on screen and make fun of Macs constantly)- they had a sub-$1000 laptop shootout with a Dell, Gateway, and iBook.

G4? It's all games. Games are fine, except that you basicly have twenty shows reviewing THE SAME GAMES and saying the same things (and quite a few are extremely biased against Macs, Nintendo, or sometimes both).

Then you have some extremely retarded shows that simply try to be as rude as possible and are supposed to be humorous because of it.

I absolutely revile G4 for ruining my beloved TechTV. And do you know WHY G4 bought TechTV? I read an interview. More people watched TechTV. Thus, G4 bought TechTV and replaced it with all their shows to get more viewers, and to get XPlay. And to this day, XPlay (the only surviving TechTV show) gets more viewers than anything else on G4.

16. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Didn't G4 used to have Call For Help? However, it's no suprise that they binned it

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, they kept Call for Help, The Screen Savers, and XPlay.

Shortly thereafter, they stopped airing Call for Help (except in Canada).

Then they fired Leo Laporte (host of Screen Savers and Call for Help, the guy who does the Mac and Linux tips) from The Screen Savers and replaced him with Kevin Perera (sp?), who hates Macs, which was the end of the Mac tips and Mac support. I really hate that guy.

For a short time they started airing Call for Help in the United States again but I haven't seen it in so long I think it's back to being Canada only.

Hmmm...I just remembered a cool old TechTV show where they'd put two teams in a junkyard and the teams would have to assemble something within 24 hours. I remember they built rockets, catapults, cars, and jet powered fire boats on different occasions, then had to perform tasks with them to see which team won.

18. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Do you mean Scrapheap Challenge? Cuz it's awsome :D Iirc, it moved from C4 to 5Five a while ago, but I'm not sure (UK people help me out here)

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I know that was why they bought TechTV!...you could see everyone on the channel was dissapointed but what could they do. Most all of the shows on TechTv was great....but now xplay is changing and feeling more like a pure G4 show now.

I wish they would start another tech channel and bring the screen savers back. The call for help in which you speak of was taped in Canada and they brought it back on air because people got annoyed with them...they talked about apple alot on techtv...matter of fact they talked about anything tech....even solaris.

Bless

20. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Is Gamezville (on Sky One) still going? They had a section where fans emailed or txted in free games, gave them quite a bit of coverage?

Cybernet is quite good, but I've only ever seen them reviewing commercial 'blockbusters'.

21. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Discovery Channel aired that show as Junk Yard Wars in the States. Great show, but started to get a bit tired after a few years.

22. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Why did they fire him?

I'm with most in here that TechTV took a huge nose dive once G4 bought them. :mad:

I used to be addicted to TechTV, but now I only watch XPlay on G4. And I don't watch it for the reviews; I watch XPlay because it's become more of a variety/humor show. Their reviews are, for the most part, crap.

[Edit] Oh, and congrats to the OP! :D

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nobody knows, there was a lot of outcry when he was taken off the show (including from me).

XPlay is the only show I still watch, but the humor is starting to go downhill IMHO.

24. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I agree that AOTS is the screensavers jumped off a cliff. No Kevin Rose, no Patrick Norton. Some other guy named Kevin and the classic Sarah who seems to be drunk all the time :confused: :eek: Can't blame her though, she's now in a pretty crappy show. :p