I got rid of IE on Windoze

Discussion in 'Community' started by slooksterPSV, Oct 30, 2004.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I got rid of IE on Windoze. You can't start it up anymore :D. I disabled it permanently. I'm so happy :D. I still don't have security fixed :(, but hey I am now using FireFox permanently.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I hope that you didn't disable it so completely that Windows Update won't run any more...

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

doesn't the system use ie for browsing?
    ex: trash :confused:

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I disabled IE using the Set App Access control panel, and it still kept making itself the default again. So I deleted iexplore.exe :D

All was fine until I tried to run Visual Basic, whenever I'd try to run a web app it'd give me an 'unknown error,' turned out it was trying to launch iexplore.exe :eek:

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Isn't this why M$ was sued in the beginning? Because IE was made such an integral part of the system that it precluded the use of other browsers? I know you can use other browsers, they just make it so much trouble, and you can never completely get rid of using IE without losing functionality.

I would think that eliminating it altogether will cause some unexpected consequences down the road.

6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

MS may cancel the support for you if you deleted IE because you modified the system and it doesn't equal the characteristics they licensed to you. you are in problems if you want to sue. an endless loop.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Deleting IE from Windows is a very bad idea, genius :rolleyes:

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It's a honest mistake thinking IE is just another app in Windows. Win95 doesn't have IE except if you install Win95 Plus! and IE 1.0 isn't integrated and can be removed. Win95 doesn't support all the new hardware and software developed in the last few years. It's also very stable if you don't install any software and keep the memory at 32 Mb or less.

One more thing, you won't have spyware and viruses if you unplug it from the network and modem and remove the floppy and CDrom. Have yesterday's Windows today.

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

And with the new framework of Longhorn, it seems that MS will go one step further to try and bend the entire internet to their own means. Were they not content to take over the OS market that they want to dominate the internet as well? Why oh why would the company that takes over have to be so insistent on passing off **** as the gold standard?

I still have an unanswered challenge I believe. In some thread a while back I think I challenged anyone to name any truly innovative thing done by Microsoft in the computing world. So far it's been quieter than Mike Tyson at a spelling bee.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Why do windoze computers have more malware? It is because of that shoddily written, piece-o-junk, Internet Exploder.

How else do they get on? I'm trying to help my friends stay away from IE but whenever they use IE for just a little bit...presto mundo! Spy, ad, and other malware!