I got to use a G5 today!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by G5orbust, Aug 27, 2003.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

My city's Apple store finally got 1 G5 display model in and i used it for about 2 hours.

It was a 1.6GHz model with 256MB of RAM. I helped a few customers (note: I do not work at the Apple Store, but people seem to ask me for my opinion/help anyways) do some various benchmarks and performence comparisons (Xbench, Photoshop tests, etc.) and answered their questions.

But, on my own, it was incredible. The thing is so much faster than every other mac Ive ever used. Even the dual 1.42 doesnt really compare, because there is no dual processor integration matters that hinder a bit of the performence. This is super smooth, even with 256MB (the base minimum anyone should really have on their computer, in my opinion). Of course, when a ton of apps are open and active, then performence takes a hit, but it would be incredible to see that machine with over a gigabyte of RAM.

So, incase you were wondering, the G5's were definitely worth every second we waited. If the lowest end model can be that fast, imagine what the dual 2GHz can do?!

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

sounds good, we got our 1.8 in today, but i was to lazy to go to work and check it out. ill stop by tomorrow and play with it.

iJon

3. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

:::blink::: Too lazy? Are you nuts? You are either hung over or playing with the wife/girl friend. :D

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

nah, i dont get to excited anymore when the new computers get here, apple takes to long to get them here and then all the excitment is over. same with the 17 powerbook and flat panel imac. i have been looking at spec sheets and cool holographic posters for about 2 week now, ill see it next time i go into work. im more excited about my custom model coming in, and im still not that excited. i guess you can say im spoiled by having the latest and greatest.

iJon

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, you're spoiled!:p

6. bosskxx1 macrumors newbie

Just by curiosity when did you ordered it. I ordered my 1.8 GHz on July 11th and still hasn't even shipped yet.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

this is a demo unit that was ordered for show. it wasnt a normal customer order.

iJon

8. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

9. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

he works at a reseller

10. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

ah, I see. But not to send this thread more astray, but what exactly does he resell?

11. stylum macrumors member

12. couch potato macrumors regular

interesting...

i ordered a dual G5, but i guess its not coming for a while :(

good to hear that the 1.6 is fast:)

13. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

ah he is an apple reseller. So, do you get some sort of discount on new hardware?

By the way, do you [iJon] have a store or a website? Always nice to see what some mac resellers have to offer.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i went to my local microcenter today to check out their g5. it was a 1.6 w/ only 256 meg RAM.

observations:

1. very quiet. the HD is louder than the fans.
    2. it's beautiful in person. then again, i liked it when it came out.
    3. was running 10.2.7
    4. iCal launched much faster than on my 2x500 g4
    5. iSync version was 1.2
    6. MS Word took 14 bounces to launch (pig)
    7. new control panel item combines Mouse, Keyboard
    8. the icon for it is grey
    9. in there is a bluetooth pane that shows battery levels for wireless mouse, keyboard
    10. the CD cover moves straight down before the CD tray comes out
    11. airport and BT antennas are external (demo had only airport antenna installed)

sadly, the box was locked closed and i couldn't open it up.

15. KCK macrumors regular

I got to play with a 1.6 G5 today at the Walnut Creek Apple store. I also noticed that I could hear the harddrive when it was working but had to listen hard for the fans.

The one I played with had extra memory installed

16. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

The Apple Store on Towson, MD had a 1.6 out yesterday and were getting ready to bring out a 1.8 "from the back." I was surprised by how big, quiet, and good-looking the G5 is in person. The CD eject mechanism is pretty cool too. I couldn't really hear the fan, but I could see it through the holes. I didn't get to test drive it much though...

17. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I got to mess around with a 1.6 this afternoon. I think it had 256 MB of RAM (might have been 512, can't remember). I decided to run a 'test' on it's ability to handle a load, so I opened 29 apps at once. The dock was having a hard time bouncing all the icons during startup. It took only a minute for everything to stop bouncing, but it was two minutes before it had completely recovered. I think Adobe Acrobat slowed it down alot, beachballing and then crashing both times I tried it. The apps opened included SoundTrack, Final Cut Pro, several other large programs and your basic complement of Chess, Clock, etc. I thought it was pretty reasonable considering the stress of such a simultaneous load.

18. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

19. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

As well as HD access. The hard drive has locate each app, and then possibly be used again for virtual memory as the system is put into shape again. So alot of that doesn't even depend on the processor. Just a fun stunt to pull.:D