I got to use Long Horn!

Discussion in 'Community' started by musicpyrite, May 27, 2004.

1. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

wow. all i gotta say is wow.

I got invided over to my firends (his name is Rafael) house today, and he said he had a surprize for me. guess what it was? LongHorn. I got to try it out, and I can deffinatly say (if it was releced tommrow) it will give 10.3 a VERY good run for its money. There isn't as much bloating as you would think. He sent me some pictures over AIM.

To prove these pics are legit: look at the date in all the long horn pics. and compair it to the time and date at which this post was made.
    Look at the menu bar. It has AIM on it with the AIM address of ************. if you look at my profile, my AIM address is THAT!

looks like micro$oft did something sorta-right this time

If you have any questions feel free to ask me, but unfortunatly i cant stay up all night answering posts, i have exams tommrow, but i should be back on the forums at 3 PM Eastern time (usa)

(dont flame me)

Attached Files:

2. musicpyrite thread starter macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Attached Files:

3. pinto32 macrumors 6502

hmmm.....while it does have a much more pleasing look than XP, this is most likey the "low end" interface (out of the three that are being developed and ultimatley released, in order to accomidate varying hardware levels). It is almost identical to XP, and does not appear to be much of an advancement. The time of truth will be when the two new interfaces are shown....those will surley tax our CPUs and infringe on plenty of Apple patents :rolleyes:

One question though, did you play with the file system at all?

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

god i wish Microsoft would hurry up and release Longhorn soon...Gawd I can't wait until 2006-7....BAHHH
    Yeah, Longhorn is pretty nice...but it seems like an OS X sort of thing, copied yet again by Microsoft.
    Bah, imitation is the highest form of flattery.../me sighs

5. pinto32 macrumors 6502

...speaking of patent infringments.....if that last pic is of Longhorn, than I think Apple Legal might have some very good grounds for a lawsuit :D

(for the record, I do realize that it is OS X)

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

What is there to play with? Longhorn is still using NTFS iirc, because WinFS isnt ready yet, and Microsoft, unbelievably, still wont be able to include what they originally wanted in WinFS with the final release of Windows, even with a little bit of luck.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[​IMG]

Say, that Recycle Bin looks *ahem*... *ahem!!!*...familiar.

8. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

ya just a little huh? total rip off

9. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Glass bottles don't do well in wire baskets...

Kinda lost the idea of a "recycle bin," didn't they?

10. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Yes, I was going to mention that recycle bin myself. Complete rip off. As well as the gel pill-like minimized buttons at the bottom.

And what's up with that awful clock thing on the right? I feel like I'm working on a computer at a Black Angus. :rolleyes:

11. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

You mean MS might actually release an OS in 2 years that's as good as OS X is today? All I can say is... wow.

12. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

All I see is more eye-candy thrown onto the same dysfunctional windows interface, with a sidebar that mostly just takes up a lot of space.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The candy coating certainly stopped short of the disk info window. That disk space pie chart is horrible.

14. IIvan macrumors regular

Thats pretty interesting- Id really like to see what the more advanced interfaces they are working on are- if they'll actually come up with anything really cool.

Is there any way to get rid of that ugly-ass clock?

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Well first of all this is not the latest alpha release of longhorn, this is an earlier build that your friend probally got off of a P2P network, unless he is a legit MSDN member.

We have the latest Longhorn in our labs for testing, and the cheap aqua interface is no longer present--it has been replaced by a darker blue theme and a slate theme. You can see both *current* themes at www.winsupersite.com.

As of now, Longhorn is not feature complete and Microsoft keeps taking promoted/promised *features* out of Longhorn due to "time constraint". These early Alpha builds of Longhorn much like the early builds of Whistler (aka XP) will not be anything like the shipping version.

16. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

17. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Wow, that's even uglier than the earlier builds. I actually REALLY liked the earlier ones (all dark blue, with very subtle defining lines)... but the pseudo Mac OS X 10.0.0 Aqua-style buttons are just ugly.

Ah well.

18. eyeon macrumors regular

hmmm... well... more power to 'em. I for one still think it's ugly as all hell, but that's just one man's opinion.

Thanks for the post nonetheless.

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

FAKE!

That is Windows XP with a Longhorn theme and sidebar app. There are even Longhorn conversion kits out there for XP now.

I have the latest Alpha of Longhorn, it sucks! Not to say it won't be good when it's complete, but they are currently in the very early stages, and it's still sh*t (as you'd expect from anything in alpha release).

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

And the reason for this? it's an icon set for WinXP, which goes with my conclusion in my last post :rolleyes:

21. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Thats so right on so many levels all I can say is...wow.

Its also the highest form of copyright infringment ;) :p

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Anyone wanna guess why the OS version is painted out???

23. bastardx macrumors member

Well, I usually don't take people who spell Microsoft with a '$' very seriously, but I will bite this time. It looks similar to the longhorn beta, but that wouldn't be hard to do using Windows XP and 3rd party applications. I would like to see that person, open the command prompt, and not photoshop out the version output, so that I can see what version of NT the system is running. Because I have my doubts that something that doesn't act bloated, unstable, etc.. is truly a beta release, which is what longhorn's current state is.

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah that might be fake. i have one of the latest versions of longhorn and it has a brown/gray slate look to it. that looks like xp with a new color.

iJon