Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FX120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Mackie is coming out with a revised version of their Onyx series boards, called the Onyx-i series, this time with built in firewire multitracking across all the input channels standard, with switchable pre-post EQ/fader switches (unlike the older which were only pre out), AND up to 16 channels back out, for using as digital inserts.

I can't tell anyone the pricing, but let's just say it's going to be really affordable. The formal announcement is going to be made in early september.

So if anyone is looking for an affordable multi-tracking solution that also is a great small format mixer, you might want to hold off on purchasing something until then. These new boards are a big winner in my book so far.

Oh, and they're going to work with Pro Tools.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
mackie and digi have indeed worked out some kind of arrangement, and these mixers will ship w/ copies of PT8 and a mackie driver that make the mixer look like an m-audio interface.

salientstimulus

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
Mackie is coming out with a revised version of their Onyx series boards, called the Onyx-i series, this time with built in firewire multitracking across all the input channels standard, with switchable pre-post EQ/fader switches (unlike the older which were only pre out), AND up to 16 channels back out, for using as digital inserts.

I can't tell anyone the pricing, but let's just say it's going to be really affordable. The formal announcement is going to be made in early september.

So if anyone is looking for an affordable multi-tracking solution that also is a great small format mixer, you might want to hold off on purchasing something until then. These new boards are a big winner in my book so far.

Oh, and they're going to work with Pro Tools.

This sounds like a good all-in-one deal. Since it's Mackie, I'm assuming the automation is pretty sweet (motorized touch-sensitive faders etc)?

FX120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2007
afaict, this is only for the onyx mixers, not any of the control surfaces. i.e. no motorized fader automation.

Yeah, these are only for live mixing, recording, and playback, not for use as a control surface while editing.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I really miss my 1604 from back in the day. I miss direct outs across all channels. I would be rather unwilling though to use any interface other then my MOTUs. I'll have to check it out. I liked the original ONYX series. Sept. though is bad timing. I am going to have to get OS 10.6, Logic 9 upgrade, and a new 2TB back up drive, plus some other odds and ends. I would not be able to do a total studio make over at this point.

Thanks for sharing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.