I gotta gripe about this...

Discussion in 'Community' started by eyelikeart, Sep 18, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It annoys me enough when people forward useless b.s. to me, but I thought this was pretty funny the first time I received it this week. I've now gotten it from 5 different people!!

Where did this come from? Why do I keep getting it? :rolleyes:

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: I gotta gripe about this...

hey eye,

that looks like the spelling of ambitiouslemon's macrumors posts:p

where is he these days? he was a mod here

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: I gotta gripe about this...

WOW! someone sent that to me over AIM today. i didn't even laugh. that's the most unoriginal piece of humor.... sheesh. what a shame that it's making the rounds...

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I got that one too, yesterday, from one of the "friends" who delights in sending me anything that circulates - ethnic jokes, political humor, dubious medical news, heartwarming stories, etc. At least she doesn't pass on all the hoax warnings (i.e., fake warnings about nonexistent computer threats) because I've got other "friends" who do that.

I put up with it to a point. That point is when they put my e-mail address in a huge To: or Cc: list, thereby sending my address to everyone else they know. And some of those people forward it, with the To: or Cc: list intact, to another big list, multiplying the effect geometrically. I've taught everyone who sends to me to use Bcc if they must broadcast something. If they don't, I respectfully insist that they take me out of their address book.

5. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

yeah, I got that too...

first I thought it was about someone being drunk who tried to say/type something (and I laught), but then I read the first line and I did not find it funny.

:(

vSpacken

6. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Uh, guys

I don't think it's a joke. It was an actual study, and these are the actual results. I thought it was pretty amazing.

7. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Gosh I hate those chain mails about fake e-mail viruses...my friends always just assume they're real...oh well, I guess I should just accept the fact that they aren't as geeky as me :)

And yeah I thought that rearranged letters thing is pretty cool.

8. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, it's pretty amazing that reasonably intelligent people can understand stupid people....

j/k. but quite honestly, this is nothing new, i don't think. have you ever unscrambled words? we've always known that this is a very easy task for people with good vocabulary.

teh qoutsien si, twah sue si ti? ti wolss oyur raednig wodn kile a omhtre *cf*er, rof on raenos ta lal.

unscrambling in sequence. people can do it. ahhh. i needed a cambridge researcher to tell me that.

9. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

jef-
    lemon's still around, but someone in some dark cavern or cave on an island in Hawaii doing field research.

e-coli-
    I don't don't this thing was real, but my complaint is in the fact that I have to get it 5 times in 4 days. I mean, is there an "email forwarder's commission" where they release these things for the bored people at work to start forwarding these things out to everyone they know all at once? :eek:

shadow-
    hahaha... :D

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'm glad I hit home to all of my friends not to send me useless junk fwds. What I did was just go to AOL filter and block any subject that had "fwd:" at the beginning so whenever someone with my address in their group to forward to tried to, they got an annoying box saying my address does not accept said email until I got removed from their group fwd mailings. Now, the only forwards I get are from my uncle, grandfather, and once in a while my mother asking me if the recent virus warning email they got is real or not. My uncle got one last week where the person in the email said to remove all of these critical files in Windows saying they were infact virus files and it was passed at least a good 100 times from the look of the forwarding paths.

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

12. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

13. Edot macrumors 6502

The weird thing is that it really only works when the first and last letter are the correct letters in the word. These sentences do not follow that pattern and you stumble over most of the words.

14. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...the irony in my post has failed to be effective... :rolleyes:

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Well.

The Sutdy sohewd taht poelpe can raed suftf sepleld bdlaly.

This was posted on Slashdot (What the hell, no one reads /. ?) and it was a real study with real results.

This isn't a chain letter, like other chain letters. Just being fowarded.

Ha, I got pissed off some much about chain letters last week I made my own for people to Shut the hell up...

Right here

Yaeh All Wrdos can't be switched.

All words which have 3 or less letters cannot be changed...

16. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

os uyo smutble oevr wrdos lkie teh?

i ond't thikn yoru analgyo ohlds.

i would posit that the complexity of the scramble has a great deal to do with the relative order of the word. for instance,

multicausality is easy to get if you spell it "mutlicasuality" or even "mitlucuasliaty," especially in the context of a real usage, like "fi oyu race ot emaxien teh mitlucuasliaty fo teh vente, ti cebomse lcaer..."

but it's almost impossible to get "camsuuallttiiy," even in the context of a sensible phrase.

the complexity of the "coding" shouldn't depend on just the first and last words, and this is especially true in larger words.

the Cmabrdige example is easy for you, and most literate people, because it mixes comparatively small numbers of letters in the words. but for more apt puzzle-solvers (and i don't include myself in this group), much higher levels of complexity can be overcome without "stumbling." but the general principle of this is that any interposing of letters causes you to stumble, at least until you get used to it.

the reason this works for people is that reading the screwed up version is the same basic activity as reading. when you read normal text, your mind sees the letters and puts them together in a way that makes sense to you within the context of what you are reading; when the letters are scrambled, but still there, your mind panics at first but can, at least in most cases, quickly realize, oh, that dumbass, he meant "word," not "wrod." reading in itself is an activity of decoding. your eye sees patterns of words and your makes them into concepts and ideas, in effect translating them. in the case of the screwed up text, this decoding activity has the added layer of accounting for discrepancies in the order of words. it's not that the word order doesn't matter, it's that many people are intelligent enough to figure out what is wrong and acount for it very quickly. i hope this doesn't seriously impress anyone...

17. Zaid macrumors 6502

Guys it is a real study, looking into why all natural languages have a certain level of redundency built in.

Also with regards to the scrambling you have to leave the first and last letters in place (Because this helps preserve the 'word shape' allowing our mind to quickly determine what the word should have been), and you are not allowed to break complex phonemes in mono or bi-sylabic words. (eg ough in through)

Other examples of stuff like this include
    Y cn rd nglsh wtht ny vwls

The idea being that the redundency allows the message to be understood even if it is partly distorted.

For those interested, somebody on slashdot posted a pearl script that will randomly scramble letters within words leaving the first and last letters untouched.

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

considered from this perspective, it is somewhat interesting, but still doesn't seem very important, even in linguistics.

i can understand vcm clnr, but it's much less clear than vacuum cleaner. so in that sense, the vowels aren't redundant. they add a vast amount of clarity, especially when it comes to pronunciation. but of course languages don't have to have vowels. even phonetic ones like ours. look at Hebrew...

as for preserving the first and last letters, i think it's irrelevant in short words (teh wodrs, etc), and useless in massive words.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I was able to read the paragraph, but it gave me a headache.

If it is true, just another example of our tax dollars at work. Someone probably just got another PhD! :p

20. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ok...some of u seem to have failed to see my reason for posting this...

I realize it's a real study, and I find it's valid in many ways & quite interesting.

What I'm complaining about is the fact that I got it 5 times. One of my petpeeves is getting these forward emails from people, and this thing is making the rounds right now. I guess I feel these people I know all have no lives, when I find they are all sending the same thing.

like I'm one to point any fingers...with the time I spend here... ;)

21. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

The thing is, stuff like this, while seemingly base at first, tend to lead to bigger and bigger developments.

All you geeks like Esperanto and such... and Star Trek speak... so this should be up your alley. :D

It's interesting from a point of view of lingusitics, and if someone got a PhD to figure this out, i'm sure there's about 20 other studies that have octopussed off of this one.

That said, there's lots of predictions that have been horribly wrong. And if we discount ANY creative thought (which this is) we're doomed to becoming a stagnant culture. Even if this by itself might not be useful, there's a lot of potential ideas that it could spawn.

Who knows? The bright minds can see the nugget of gold buried in this thing. The mediocre minds let it bug them. ;)

There was a prediction made that "Americans have no time. This TV thing will never catch on"

It's the people who lack foresight and creative thought who make these brash statements and really fail to read between the line.

This study is intriguing, and I really wanna see where they take it. ;) who knows??

22. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Shadowfax, I dont think you are paying attention

Edot was clarifying (for you) that the study makes it clear that the first and last LETTERS have to remain as the original, otherwise it takes significantly longer to descramble.

So, don't cant be "ond't," it must me dnot. And think cant be "thikn," it must be "tinhk" or "tnihk" or "tihnk." Get it? Half of your scrambled word examples do not follow the original study, so it isnt HIS analogy--its Cambridges.

23. Edot macrumors 6502

Re: Shadowfax, I dont think you are paying attention

Thanks agreenster! Also, I think this study shows us more about the human mind's approach to written words and language than it does about the language itself. Maybe this can be used to simplify our language since it's foundation is far from consistent. I can't see this concept working with a language with no alphabet, but who knows.

24. Dros macrumors 6502

I think the study may lead to some important insights. (I know... the thread is about getting 5 messages a day, I'm just responding to the sub-thread). For example, dyslexics read letters as swapped, so something in their brains is not good at taking in a word at a glance and remembering the order of the letters. It would be interesting to see if they fail (or are faster!) at reading words scrambled like this. Now they could do MRI brain scans of people reading normal words and scrambled words and ultra-scrambled (also first and last) words to track what parts of the brain are used for these tasks, then see if dyslexics use their brains the same way, then perhaps therapies will be more apparent.

Same for stroke patients who are re-learning to read.

So waste of tax dollars, as someone above said? I don't think so.

25. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Re: Shadowfax, I dont think you are paying attention

See, this is the kind of thinking i'm talkin' about.

Nicely thought.

I like the idea of a language with no alphabet. Would the foundation be graphical? Symbolic?