I gotta learn how to type!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by M. Malone, Apr 3, 2006.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I have gotten away with out being able to type well for years, I can type, faster than average, but I don't place my fingers on the ASDF JKL; keys, in high-school I used this typing program, is there a type writing program to teach me how to type the right way? and without occasionally looking at my keyboard?

this is a concern now because for the past 2+ years I have only typed on my PowerBook, I love the keyboard, it's so compact and your fingers don't have to travel accross it. But I just recently got an intel iMac, and typing is such a chore, I can't get my eyes off the keyboard.

so any recommendations for a typing app?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

In all honesty, I think you can just learn yourself easier.

Type a sentence in text edit, put your fingers on the home row and then try to reach each key with each finger...yes, I know there's a "right" finger that's supposed to reach the right key, but you don't do that 2 weeks after learning it anyway, you adapt. So you might as well start off adapting. :p

Good luck.

3. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

ok I have made a resolution, for the next 2 weeks, I will type the right way, even if I am slower...:D thank you, I will give it a shot

4. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

oh man, this is something ive been wanting do for years. I can type much much faster then the avg. person but I dont use the right places either and I type with mainly 3 fingers on each hand. I cant seem to get past my own style though lol

5. Toreador93 macrumors regular

Here is a simple typing website: http://www.typeonline.co.uk/

You can take this typing test to see how you improve: http://www.typingtest.com/

(edit: On second thought, the first website tells you your wpm. But I think it would still be useful to try testing yourself every few days or so.)

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have to say Chat rooms are the best teacher. AOL is pretty much where I learned. Of course chat rooms are kinda gone now, so I suppose iChat might encourage the correct way of typing?

7. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I did learn how to type and it's mostly repetition. The way I was taught was to put one's fingers on the home keys (asdf ;lkj) and type asdfg, asdfg, etc. ;lkjh, ;lkjh, etc reaching one's forefingers to the g and h keys. The right thumb is used for the spacebar - the reason for this is that if you use either thumb there will be a split-second delay as you choose which thumb to use every time you use it.

When you can type words that use a combination of those letters easily, reach up to the next row, small left finger for q etc. while keeping as many of the rest as is comfortable on the home keys. qwert, poiuy, qwert, poiuy,etc. Same goes with the bottom row.

The repetition is a bit boring at the time but worth it. I never think about the where the letters are; I look at what I want to copy or think about what I want to say and the words just come out of my fingers. On the odd occasion where I don't have my fingers on the keys and just need to type a single character, I have to think about where it is!

Good luck. Let us know how you get on! :)

8. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Just want to say good for you and good luck. I took a semester of typing in high school (back in the early 80's - IBM selectric :eek: ), and it has been incredibly useful.

I didn't need to type anything for years, but when I got a computer in the mid 90's, I tried to remember how - and a week later, I was back up to speed.

It's easy, you'll learn fast, and you'll never look back!!

9. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

You know I never realized that I was that way too! I basically type with my index fingers and when I start typing much faster my other fingers start subconsciously helping! I just think if there is no test at the end of this life, I might as well not worry about studying ;) I stay the way I am

10. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I have to agree...I learnt it simply by using computers....just kept typing the way that felt the most comfortable ;)

11. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I know a lot of people think that, but I've talked to people who've learned the traditional way, and people who've just done what feels right, and it seems pretty clear that those who learned the traditional way type faster, more accurately and - most importantly - have a been positioning of the hands (important for preventing carpal tunnel etc).

It's worth a try, now that there are free online tutors. It really doesn't take long to learn.

Just a thought.

12. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I learned typing in school, but it really came down to just using computers all the time. There is this one app (not sure if its for OSX, might just be for OS9 and below...you'd be out of luck because Intel Macs don't support classic) called Mavis Beacon (God I'm not sure if that's the name, eh it might be).

13. osxnewbe macrumors regular

I initially learned how to type in a 9th grade business class. The class was taught on IBM selectric typewriters and I could never get much above 40 wpm. That is about the time my family got their first computer and i've been typing ever since.

I would say practice is the best thing to improve your typing skills. Maybe typing newspaper or online news articles to give you something to practice with...

I think chat programs would help you learn the keyboard layout but I know it doesn't help my spelling one bit....

14. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

The real test is when you start programming without looking at the keyboard. Try typing this:

- (NSPoint) pointAtProgress:(float)t {
    return NSMakePoint(ax*t*t+bx*t+cx, ay*t*t+by*t+cy);
    }

:p

15. Green cat macrumors newbie

Green cat

Yeah, its Mavis Beacon, and there is Mac OS X version, works perfectly even on Leopard. Check the full story at wikipedia

BTW, its really hard to keep your eyes away from keyboard, it would be good if they had an option to completely hide it while practicing.

From my experience the real touch typing comes to you after AIMing in a dark room (without keyboard highlighted), but only after playing with something like Mavis Beacon for a while of course :D

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ugh, dude this thread is over 3 years old. Zombie Thread LIVES!

17. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I don't think touch typing as a topic is going to be obsolete anytime soon, especially not on a computer forum, so no harm done by picking it up again. :p

18. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

show off! :D

19. highertechnology macrumors 6502

As a kid through gradeschool and high school, we all used Mavis Beacon. There are multiple online options now though.

20. nadyne macrumors 6502a

My mom made me learn how to touch-type one summer. She said that it would help me get a good job. She was right, but definitely not in the way that she thought she'd be. She thought I could be a secretary or something, she never imagined that I'd end up a software engineer. :)

Her method for making me learn to touch-type was to drape a dishtowel over my hands and keyboard so that I couldn't cheat. It worked. I now type 120+ wpm, and can easily have a conversation with someone standing in my office while I'm typing something else. It's definitely a useful skill to have.

21. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I took a typing class in high school (around '91) on PC keyboards in our computer lab...talk about DULL. I thought it would be great to learn how to touch type, but everytime we did a speed drill, I instinctively went back to my "incredibly fast hunt and peck" method :D

I really got up to speed without having to look at the keys when I was on IRC from '92 till at least 2006 or so. I'm not even looking at the keys as I type this, because I just instinctively know where the letters are. Sure I make the occasional error, but repetition is the key whether you use "hunt and peck" or the "home row" way.

22. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I seem to do a combination on how I type. I sometimes do not look at the keyboard but I am not that accurate at it. I was able to type that last sentence till the y in keyboard but messed up after it. I only use 1 finger per hand but can go really fast on my normal keyboards (PB and hackbook and most other laptops. I almost never use desktops anymore.)

23. Shu15 macrumors regular

LOL I mostly learned by playing online games. That helped cause you needed to type fast or pretty much died :rolleyes:. We also a typing program in school.

24. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I took a typing class to learn to type without looking. I just wasn't motivated enough to learn by myself as I could go a pretty high rate looking at the keys.

I did make a few adaptations to what I was taught as my left hand seems to be dominant while typing.

- Instead of using the right shift with the left hand keys, my hand slides over to push the shift with my pinky.
    - Similarly, I use my left hand pointer for the Y key. (US Qwerty)

I was never bothered to learn numbers as I would enter them with the numeric pad instead of the numbers on top row.