I guess I have small ears (headphone rec?)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by munckee, Nov 29, 2005.

1. munckee macrumors 65816

Well, apparently my ears are smaller than average. I find the earbuds that came with my ipod pretty uncomfortable as well as unstable. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent headphone to replace them that might fit smaller (or have customizable sizing pieces)? I don't want anything that wraps around my head; I want ear buds or the kind that fit around your ear (do those work with glasses?). I'd prefer not to spend more than $50; less is good too.

I was in the apple store yesterday and noticed a couple pair of sony ones that looked decent. Circuit city had crap. Any other thoughts?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Do they really fit a lot differently than the standard ipod headphones? I'm a little hesitant to buy another pair of apple headphones when the first pair fits so poorly.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yes, they're complete different and come with different size "tips" for different size ears.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Nike have some real nice in-ear buds. i think they sell them at the apple store. $25

Bless

6. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow. Some very mixed reviews on the apple site. Sounds like the apple in-ear either fit or they dont. Not much in between.

7. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

I can't stand having headphones in my ear. I really like these plain old fashioned headphones from Radio Shack

Pretty geeky I know, but I find them to be really comfortable and I like how you can adjust the volume on the cord....:) Good luck.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If you're not going to be in public too much, or you have some serious self-confidence, real, over-ear headphones are the most comfortable and best sounding types you can buy, but they make you look like a fool :p I wear mine on the plane and train anyway, great noise canceling, but I stick to earbuds when I'm walking/cycling.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i have the sony MDR-V150 for when im on the plane but they hurt like hell if u wear em too long...that sucks...but i only paid 19 bucks for them.

Bless

10. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

"Real" headphones aren't much of an option. If for no other reason, they kill the portability of the ipod (they don't fit in your pockets so well). I need something that I can wear in public and put in my pocket when I'm not using.

11. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Can anyone comment on the Shure E2C? Are they worth the extra $50, or should i just spring for the in-ear and get the shure foam covers for better fit?

12. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

For some reason I didn't think about that...I usually put my Geeky headphones in my knapsack when I am not using them (I use them while walking to work).

I have never used headphones that I could put in my pocket. That would be nice now that I think of it, but I can't stand those things in my ear :eek:

13. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

I hear ya. But I got my iPod to use when walking around the city. I don't always have a backpack with me to put them in when I'm not using them, so...

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I've always worried about the caps of the apple in-ear headphones popping off IN my ear...

and then it's stuck there, and you have to go to the ER to get it removed...

Are these fears unfounded? Am I worrying about nothing?

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i dont think its even a case of having small ears, earbuds hurt on the whole....im not too fond of anything going into my ears.....earbuds and in earbuds hurt. my ears never got use to it and i had my ipod for over a year.

Bless

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think that's pretty much unfounded...I mean if it pops off there will be none of the suction that you have with it on, because there won't be a back end, and it really isn't that tight of a fit is it? I think if it is, you might want to move down a size...

17. Labi macrumors regular

Watchout, you might get mistaken for the pilot. He wears the same ones :rolleyes:

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I have the Apple in-ear ones and small enough ears that the regular ones fall out and hurt after a while.

I need to use the smallest silicone size in my ear (and no, they're on tight enough that they won't come off in your ear) and they do take a little getting used to - the seal in your ear means that you don't hear much of the outside world but you do hear yourself drinking/chewing gum etc which can feel odd. You have to make sure you put them in correctly too - or you won't get the appropriate seal and they'll fall out easily - probably some of the problems on the Apple reviews.

They do stay in pretty well but I couldn't run in mine without them falling out - over-ear ones if you're planning on jogging in them. Walking around is fine though!

19. Sic macrumors 6502

i have the Sony's with the changeable caps, but the wire has perished and it's all tearing, which i'm really not happy about. bit later in the month, i might get a pair of sennheiser pxc250s in black. always been a fan of sennheiser, and something tells me i'd look like an ****** wandering round town in my PC-155s!! :rolleyes:

20. Crusty macrumors newbie

I also have "small ears" both on the outside and inside. I'd recommend Sony MDR-EX51 canalphones.

[​IMG]

They're surprisingly comfortable with good sound (a bit of emphasis on bass, but that's fine with me) and a soft cord to minimize noise getting transferred into your ear from the cord rubbing against stuff.

They come with three sizes of tips to fit most ears and isolates alot of outside noise when inserted properly.

21. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the input guys. I've been looking at the sony ones. I might also consider the ones that wrap around your ear for a little extra stability while maintaining the portability I need.

22. Labi macrumors regular

They also come in white to match your iPod.

Attached Files:

23. Sic macrumors 6502

those sony's are the ones i've got. great sound quality...horrible build quality. the wire that goes around the back of your head is ripped in about 6 different places...insulation tape ftw! :mad:

24. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

ah, cool. I worry about the weirdest stuff. :eek:

25. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

are those shur headphones really worth that price....they're like $100-400...jeeeez.???