I had a car accident!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Billicus, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2002
    Charles City, Iowa
    I was involved in a car accident Tuesday night at about 9:00 Central Time. I was the passenger, but I had let the driver drive my van home from a girl's basketball game. He knew a shortcut on gravel so he took it. He went around a tight corner west of Traer excessively fast, lost control, and rolled my van into the ditch. I walked away without a scratch, but my friend got pretty dinged up. He had some cuts on his face that bled pretty bad. I called 911 from the cell phone that miraculously ended up on my window. (I thank the good lord for that.:)) I'm out a vehicle now.:mad:

Here's a picture of it:

Attached Files:

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    maybe its a sign from god to get a a car other than a minivan
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Sorry to here that, I'm still waiting to get my car back after my accident :(
  4. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    Ouch, that really sucks, hope your insurance coverage will cover the damages, actually they would just total the car and give you the sum. If not I hope your "friend" will fork over some major dough.

Oh and I can't belive you wrecked your mini edesign, you should really be more careful:eek:
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Crushed roof and supports, this'll usually lead to the vehicle being totaled -- and most repair shops don't like the liability of welding on a new roof.

It can be done, but the person welding in the roof unit needs to do an awsome job -- or splat.
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    The most important thing is that you both made it out alive, a car can be replaced. Glad to hear that you are OK. Hope that your friend recovers also. Will your insurance provide you a loaner?
  7. Billicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2002
    Charles City, Iowa
    I'm only 16, so I can live without a vehicle for awhile, but It's going to cost a lot of money to replace the van. Because it's seven years old, they won't value the car even close to what it's going to cost to replace it.:mad:
  8. bcsimac macrumors 6502

Nov 4, 2002
    Bolivar, TN
    car accidents

Talking about car accidents......I had a few spills this winter.....nothing serious......One bad winter day after finishing my work day at Cambridge Springs Elementary, I was driving on I-198 when the van couldn't make the curve.....I was going 20 mph....so I was not going fast.....anyway the van started to slide and then did a spin and I ended up in a very deep ditch .........facing it......I was staring at the big ridge of snow! PennDOT pulled me out thankfully......the bumper was only slightly knocked down and I did put a nob on the side of the tire.....I had a van load of parts, repair equipment, eMacs, and iMacs.......everything made it ok.....the eMacs did take a ride up the back of the van towards the front seat. Another bad winter day, I took my pastor out to my grandpa's property for deer hunting....two days after openning day......well I was in my sis's car......it is a small Toyota Tercel.......well it got stuck four times......and later when I was trying to go to a doc's appointment the car hit a clod of cinders and went straight into the ditch.....knocked down the bumper a bit.......and later when I was going home after visiting my grandpa......a guy pulled out on the road and scared me and so I pulled the brakes and did a side slide and hit the neighbors mailbox and knocked it down......the car was ok except for small scratch...........Another cold winter day.....I was pulling into our driveway and did a small slide and hit my dad's van with the bumper of my dodge dynasty.....the chrome broke off like glass because it was 15 below zero that night. I recently put my dodge dynasty in the ditch......again no real damage.......messed the tire up.

Now my dad does towing and well we have had a lot fatality accidents this year......one of the worse was a high school cheerleader going home after school......her car hit a really slick spot......did a 360 spin......hit a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was on the other lane.......got in the air......hit the telephone pole....busted the telephone pole and ended up with the car on the roof.
  9. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    i thought i'd have a little fun driving a car (i rarely get the chance) in big bear...but the guy who was the new husband of the person i was going with was driving and decides to grab something to eat and comes back. so he's trying to get out of the parking spot and he gets stuck in this gigantic pothole that was all ice water and snow so he's like damn! so i was like hey can i try and i get the car out with a little help from him and thought it was really cool i can't wait until i can legally drive a car.
    2 more years :(
    the last time i was in a car accident (my dad is such a good driver it scares me-it was always the other person's fault...usually caused by cell phones) my neck got like all weird and it sucked. it was nearly impossible to move my neck at all.
  10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've been in three car accidents, but nobody was hurt in any of them. In one, my car was hit by a drunk driver. In another, an old man pulled out of a parking space without looking or signaling, and the car that would have hit him instead swerved into my car. The third is funny in hindsight: the car skidded on an icy patch and ran into a signpost with a sign that said "Icy".

So far, I've never caused an accident.
  11. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    I've never been in my car during an accident, but there was an incident with someone hitting my car. While it was parked. Twice.

One day several years ago, when I was still in high school, I came out after a hard day of classes to find that someone had sideswiped my car. My school was undergoing a $50 million dollar renovation, and I figured that it was probably a construction worker that hit my car (since nearly all the students and faculty are nice and certainly would have left there insurance information). The estimate said the damage would cost $500 to repair, and since I have a $1000 deductible, my parents decided not to turn it in to the insurance.

Then, one week later and one day before the car was going in to be repaired, it was hit again on the same side as the last accident making the damage worse. This accident also occured while I was in school, so I didn't discover it until after class. I never found out who hit my car, but the paint scratches and placement indicate that the same vehicle caused both accidents. Luckily it only cost $600 total for all the repairs.
  12. yzedf macrumors 65816

Nov 1, 2002
    Speaking of parked while hit...

My last motorcycle (1997 Yamaha YZF600) was hit by a guy in a big van, while trying to back into the empty space next to mine. Needless to say, the guy was a moron. No insurance, no money to pay damages, nothing. He tried to skip on me, but I got the state to pull his contractor's license (company vehicle was used) until it was resolved. 4 months later, I told the state to see what was going on, and they found out he was still running his business. He ended up in jail for 10 days. For not shelling out $700 to get my bike fixed. The cops involved called him @#$%ing moron too :)
  13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    There is a good lesson in this and that is never let anyone else drive your vehicle, I did once and my car was brought back with a dent/crease along the rear qtr panel. My step daughter did a month ago and now that cars engine is having some serious problems. Bottom line people dont treat cars well when its not theirs. glad you can still walk.