I Had My Wisdom Tooth Removed This Morning And....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Sep 1, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

My bottom corner of my lip and tongue are still numb from the novacaine. Is that normal? It's been 7 hrs. Other than everything seems fine. I only had one taken out. I can't imagin havin' more than one taken out. There was so much blood.

2. vniow macrumors G4

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I got perscriptions for hydrocodin and penicillin, but didn't take any hydro, just the penicillin. I did take a couple of advil, slept for a few hours. It's not really giving me pain.

4. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

When I had two of my wisdom teeth taken out (separately), it took me around two weeks to recover. I had a foul taste in my mouth for weeks afterwards (not to mention huge holes in my mouth).

Oh, and to cap it all, on both occasions, the tooth actually broke when the dentist was trying to extract them (whilst I was conscious, too!).

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Ahh that sucks. Everything was a blur this morning after they put the IV in me. I remember cringing a few times while they were doin surgery, but I didn't even have my eyes open cause of the druggin.

They said no solid or warm & hot food. What should I eat? I'm sick of smoothies.

6. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Listen to your doctors.

Jell-O, yogurt, ice cream etc etc.

7. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I had all 4 taken out a once...it was terrible, and i didn't even sleep the night in the hospital, went immediately back home...so that meant that the car was under the blood.:cool:
    Oh and i ate everything minced...was a little grimy since u didn't really know for sure what u were eating cos it all looked the same...

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Only one? Wow...I had all four taken out in one go, and concious the whole time, albeit heavily drugged. Did they put you under? How much novacaine did you get? [Trying to remember] I think I got a total of eight shots, two per tooth. Afterwards I was out of it for the rest of that day and the one after, but past that I was fine.

As for food, try a milkshake, a bit on the thin side, with a spoon. No straws.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Make soem gazpacho! (OK I guess it's a bit like a tomato smoothie).

B

10. JLatte macrumors 6502

I had 8 taken out, 2 in each socket. Doctor said he hadn't seen that in his 19 years. I was in pain for a while too...

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Why are you folks having all these teeth removed? Do you all have exceptionally small mouths or something?

12. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

There's many reasons why wisdom teeth have to come out and it's not usually because of a small mouth. I've gotta have one out, maybe two, come October. Not looking forward to it :(

Samichi> did they give you the warning about the bottom ones being near a nerve and stuff?

13. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

No impacted stories yet? :confused: Had 4 taken out, heavily impacted (family trait) he used what looked like a auto shop tool to *crack* each tooth before he attempted to remove it.

I was 'partially under' but tried to speak after each crack and remove.

He said that dosn't usually happen... nothing like waking up to find your doctors hand pressing on your cheek with all his might while he pulls on your molars with a pair of pliars.

good times, good times. :D

14. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I was under for mine and spent a blurry few post-op days with my trusty bottle of vicodin. I only had three, none impacted, but still, no fun. When I had surgery on my legs (tarsal coalition and lengthing my calf muscle) I couldn't walk for 8 weeks- two in bed and 6 on crutches, but I got a week of percocet, which made things a little better. The kicker is I had it done twice- once for each leg- and the second time I had the week of drugs then I got the flu, so I basically didn't eat/didn't want to eat for two weeks and lost nearly 20lb.

To the OP: you may want to eat real food, but don't. It hurts really bad, and can end up infecting the wound, which happened to me. It eventually went away but not before a massive pus bubble thing exploded in my mouth (gross huh?). Ice cream, smoothies, ground up anything, and jello for a few days may be annoying but will help you out in the long run.

15. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

My two extractions were due to the small size of my mouth. I could do with one of the others being taken out as well, as it sticks out into my mouth at a crazy angle.

I'm curious about the injections you guys have got. When I got mine taken out, I just got small injections in my gum under the tooth that numbed that part of my mouth. I was totally compos mentis (aside from a numbness in my mouth) and could see (and feel) the dentist as he tried to yank the teeth out of my mouth: he had to stop at one point for a breather and IIRC, he had to brace himself against me to get one of the teeth out.

I started eating solid foods (albeit on one side of my mouth) not long after having each tooth removed.

16. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I remmber getting my tooth taken out and my lips were all numb, i was on the phone with my mother when i started laughing at my self (remmber Rocky 1 or 2 when he yells Aderiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan). Its fun, hurts a bit but the worst thing is the bleeding.

17. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

you folks are all scaring me, i have my appointment set for the 6th. i have 2 impacted wisdom teeth on the bottom, the top are growing out just fine, if only a bit crooked. How much did you have to pay out of pocket, my insurance pays 80% but the oral surgeon is reluctant to give me an estimate.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

oh yeah....I had one wisdom tooth that was impacted and they decided to take out two more that had come in crooked. In addition to having to crack them up, they had to use a little power saw because a couple of them had hooked roots so they had to cut them loose......I could feel the spray from the drill, "mouth & tooth stuff" going all over the place while they worked at getting them out

Years later the 4th one came in and as you can imagine I wasn't anxious to have it out. Fortunately, it was coming in straight. Then one day, while I was eating dinner with some friends there was a loud "crack".....from inside my mouth. Everybody turned and looked at me in horror as I fished a large chunk of wisdom tooth out of my mouth. It seems that not only do they tend to come in wrong, but a lot of the time they're significantly softer than your other teeth. Mine had simply broken apart while I was eating.

Fortuantely, this last one didn't have hooked roots so having it removed wasn't as bad as losing the other 3.

19. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That's wierd 2 in one socket. I didn't even know that could happen

I guess I got a small mouth, but my tooth was sideways compltely.

Nope, They didn't say anything.

My insurance covered 75% I only had to pay about 160.

I'm suprised my tooth wasn't in worst condition. I was told to take it out 2 summers ago. This past month it's started hurtin a little I thought it was impacted, but I guess everything is fine. I'm so glad I finally got it out.

20. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I had all 4 of mine taken out under general in 2003 man what an experience :( They were all impacted. Couldn't open my mouth for weeks properly

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Wow came here for piece of mind since I get mine taken out in oh... 9-10 hrs but nope you guys are getting me all worked up:eek:

i hate you guys lol jk

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I hate to resurrect this thread, but I had one out today (top one) and it didn't hurt a bit. However, I may be updating this post once the injection wears off! :eek:

23. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

thats how i felt the first 24 hours when i got my 3 out... then well... i wish you the best.

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I had all 4 pulled over Thanksgiving last year. I was still "conscious" for the procedure, but I was seduced and don't remember a thing. Last thing I remember before waking up was staring at the ceiling and my eye lids starting to get heavy, but I don't remember closing them. Then when I woke up, I didn't want to wake up. I was like, " Let me sleep. Grrr". One of them was doing a kamikaze into my mohler. It wasn't that bad. The only thing I could eat was mashed potatoes and stuffing for dinner. I was able to eat Apple and pumpkin pie with no problem though. :cool: But, after 1 day of eating mashed potatoes, I grew sick of them and couldn't eat more( I am still sick of them today). So it was stuffing and pie all weekend.

25. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Whoa...you got seduced at the dentist? Where was this exactly? I may have to revise my practice of generally not going to dentists.... ;) (Although if you don't remember a thing, maybe it wasn't so great. But surely it must beat painkillers!)

--Eric