I had to use Windows today :(

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Frisco, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Today I started a new contract job and was forced to use Windows for the first time in 9 months. I was very confused and frustrated. I didn't truly realize how good Mac OS is until today.

What Windows version was I using? I don't know--it seemed like a combo of Windows 2000 and XP--if u can believe that. (Some eye candy here and there, but not everywhere.)

Everything just seemed counterintuitive to me. I thought to myself, "How can 95% + of the computer world be using this sh*t? We have all been brainwashed. Microsoft is the computer experience that has become the norm--sadly to say.

Apple is by no means perfect, but compared to using Windows it is.

I know Windows has some things Apple doesn't have, but using it today really sucked!

Sorry for the bad taste left in my mouth.

Please don't accuse me of being a Mac Zealot. I bash Apple when they are wrong too, like yesterday's $250 iPod Mini!

All I am saying is that I am not looking forward to work tomorrow.

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Maybe its NT, or Me, if its ME I feel bad for you. It had to be the worst version of Windows ever. We all have to use PCs once in a while, but it makes you appreciate how great the mac really is.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Maybe you were using WinXP with the "Classic Windows" interface. The last place I worked made certain to not allow users to have the new interface.

It's not really that bad--it's just that you haven't used it for a while.

4. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

That's too bad, I have to use Windows XP on my computers at school. The thing that sucks about it is that I'm not just doing word processing or something, I'm doing programming, so it sucks to know that I could be using a Mac to be more productive.

5. ShadowHunter macrumors regular

You were probably using WinXP with the classic theme, as someone else said. Hey, look at the positives. While Windows is still a joke as an OS, and about as dynamic as a concrete wall, WinXP is the best one to use out all of them for ease of use and stability. I mean, you could have been using Win98 or ME, YUCK!

6. mcs37 macrumors regular

mcs37

Sounds like XP with a classic look and the domain controller set up, so you have classical Win2K login.

I'm still using Windows here since I'm waiting for graduation when I get my G5 PowerBook (please release G5 PowerBook by summer, please release G5 PowerBook by summer...). There are lots of things that just piss me off about windows and I'm counting the days till my graduation present can be purchased.

Longhorn actually does look pretty decent, as I've seen some demonstrations and they've finally taken some cues from Apple. But it's still bloody Windows. By the time Longhorn comes out in 2005, it will have taken MS 10 YEARS to give users the option to look at the date / calendar without having to change the clock settings. (double click time in the task tray)

Vector-based graphics and the OS demands a 3D accelerator: it's about time. WinFS wasn't too impressive, however, since it appears to be NTFS with an extra layer of SQL Server.

I am curious personally where OS X will be in 2005. We should be at 10.4 around then, but how can you improve Panther? Expose is the neatest thing ever! If only Windows could have caught up.

But iPod sales are definitely good for bringing people over to the Apple world. All that Apple needs to do now is improve its customer care/policies and we'll be all set.

7. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for all of your replies!

Tomorrow I am going to impress some people and piss off others. How? I am bringing in my Ti Powerbook!

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Finally taken some cues from Apple? They've been taking from Apple since Windows 1.0! Sometimes they copy so poorly you don't notice that they copied from Apple, but they did.

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....hey, I have to use *and support* windoze (and its users) 5 days a week....and I tell y'all I am grateful to have my TiBook at my desk beside the Dell (guess which one I use more....)....oh yeah!

10. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Ah, get over it. It's more than likley an operator fault, or save that, A really old system using an new operating system, with squat RAM.

There are two things I really hate in OS's.
    1: Pop ups (I've turned all of mine off)
    2: Pointless animation that gobbles resourses.

The mac OS gobbles system resourses, windows however does not. My 3 year old AMD 1GHz, Runs windows XP like a dream, try running OSX 10.3 on a 3 year old mac and see how well it holds up.

11. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I run OS X on 5 and 6 year old Macs and I think it holds up very well.

12. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

what is your problem hmmm
    xp is a old OS to 10.3
    i think its 10.2 or 10.1 is as old a xp
    the only thing windows do better then mac is freeze(o ya macs dont freeze:rolleyes: :eek: )

13. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

OSX 10.3 holds up very well on both of my 3+ year old Macs. Thanks for asking.

14. notmenotyou macrumors member

what are you talking about? I am running MacOS X 10.3 on my first generation TiBook 400, and it runs like charm. by far, this is the best OS money can buy. Windoz XP!?!?!? you must be kidding me...

15. LoopHoles macrumors member

running 10.3 on a 1999 350 MHz G3 (3 times less clock speed than 1 GHz) and works fine. Sure, if you use that 1 Ghz, quartz-extreme enabled powerbook regularly, it seems slow as hell, but only in comparison.

16. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I have my VAIO lying around that I still use every once in a while (like with my damn Clie until my iPod comes back from repair) and it has XP on it. All it does is serve to remind me how much windows sucks.

And what's with the recent influx of windows-apologists on this board now? Almost everytime someone says something negative about windows, someone else has to come in and defend it. Where can I go to get away from these people??? :confused: :mad:

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sometimes it needs "defending", there are a lot of people who need reminding that XP is not a bad as they seem to think. Things have come a long way since Windows 95 (and the beast that was ME [​IMG]). I use my PC and my Mac all the time, neither of them ever crash. And get rid of that awful default fisher price theme and Windows looks perfectly nice to.

I can't stand it when I'm browsing PC forums and people are having a go at Apple & OS X when they have never used the thing, like wise it drives me mad to hear Mac users mindlessly bashing PC's.

Fine, so you prefer OS X/Windows over the other, that doesn't mean to say that the other is unusable.

18. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

My ex gf's XP machine is still here, i leave it running for kazaa only and boy is that enough to annoy me. Its an AMD 2600XP and it seems to run so slow and i miss expose, the windowing in windows seems to ask itself "How big can i go today", i'm constantly resizeing everything.

While i don't fault the hardware i think the OS is bog slow (with all fancy settings turned off) , my alubook feels faster by far. I bet if i put linux on it everything would feel snappy.

19. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I love that smiley :D

I, personally, love it when people post all their comments on how much windows sucks. I'm always up for a windows-bashing fest. I hate it when someone comes along and rains on the parade by trying to make it fair. If I wanted to know how wonderful it is over on the otherside, I'd hang out on Cnet.

I suppose everyone once in a while is ok ...

20. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

I'm baffled

I've been meaning to make this comment for sometime now but I couldn't be bothered but enough is enough.

I don't know why manitoubalck joined MacRumors. I've never once seen a positive, helpful or constructive post from him/her. Why waste your time and our time by continually posting worthless and irrelevant comments.

If you love MS, AMD, Intel and the other mind numbingly dull companies and love using their products why don't you just crawl back under your PC and leave us in peace.

When you have a comment that actually adds to the thread then by all means join in. But until that happens do us all a favour and POQADCB (old aussie saying)

21. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Very well indeed. I was going to dump my old G3/350 until I installed Panther on it. It runs very nicely indeed, the UI is very responsive, the fast searching in Finder, Preview etc. works far better than I would have expected. Try finding a 350 MHz PC that'll run the latest version of XP!

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hmm...yes and no. Now well all know that OS X loves memory, this much is true. XP is better IMO (in that it doesn't need as much), but it's not much better.
    I must say I find it hard to believe that XP runs "like a dream" on a 1GHz Athlon, my family had it on an 800MHz Athlon w/ 640MB RAM, and it was really quite slow, usable, but slow.
    Apple on the other hand do seem to be unique, in that with each new OS they release, it seems to make older computers run faster than they could with the previous OS. A great characteristic that others could and should learn from.

23. mcs37 macrumors regular

mcs37

In all honesty, let's not forget that Apple stole the GUI idea from Xerox Park. So when Apple claims they were the first, they were certainly not. Apple and MS have copied each other on multiple ideas, although in general I think MS stole more from Apple. :D More examples:

-- MS stole (trash can|recycle bin) from Apple
    -- Apple stole (quick launch|dock) from MS
    -- MS stole (plug & play|it just works) from Apple
    -- Apple stole fast user switching from MS

quid pro quo, and the wars proceed.

On a side note, I was interviewing with Google the other day in NYC, and it was amazing seeing the blend of systems in use in their Manhattan office. Lots of Windows, some Linux boxes, and plenty of PowerBooks. It's good not to be bound to any OS at work. :)

24. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

Well, yes I admit it. Apple did borrow some ideas from MS, but they did hell of a lot better job with what they used. Like fast user switching. On windows, it is a joke and slow. (on a 3 GHz Dell, with good guts in it, it belonged to a relative)

And the dock, well, Apple didn't just steal the idea, the reinvented the concept. If you've used the dock, then the task bar with start menu, you know what I mean. If you don't mind, here are some things apple did first,

32 bit processor
    Graphical User Interface
    Built-in LAN networking
    Built-in sound
    3.5 inch floppies
    PostScript printer
    MS Word, Excel
    Built-in SCSI plug and play
    Multiple monitors
    Multitasking
    16 million colors
    32 bit Operating System
    Built-in file sharing
    Built-in CD-ROM
    FireWire
    FireWire 800
    64 bit processor

This is all I can think of now......add if you got somethin on your mind.:D

25. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

They didn't steal it :rolleyes: Xerox offerred to share their research info and Apple offerred them stock options in return. When the Macintosh was released and sales eventually went up, those Xerox people I'm sure made quite a lot of money.