I ham looking to buy my first Mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TheOne, Jun 9, 2003.

1. TheOne macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2003
    St Louis
    I have been looking at notebooks to buy since my last semester of High School started in January of 2003. The Powerbooks really caught my attention with the release of the new 12 inch and 17 inch PowerBooks, but there have been so many rumors about the 970's hitting that it has really gotten me confused. I nearly bought a Powerbook today, but luckly I didn't have the information from my college on me to make me elligable to get the discounts.

Anyway, I know that some sort of update for the Powerbooks is bound to happen by WWDC, but can we really expect a 970 in a Powerbook by then? I personally think that Panther will mark the start of 64-bit computing, but then again this is based on rumors. If you were in my situation what would you do? Would you buy the Powerbook now or wait it out until WWDC? So far everyone has told me to wait for WWDC, but I doubt there will be any major updates to the 17 inch Powerbook.
  2. pEZ macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Madison, Wisconsin
    There won't be a 970 put into a notebook for many a month to come, IMO. If you were looking to buy a tower, I'd say wait. Notebook? Wait until they're updated just a touch and then buy. You'd hate to miss out on a new revision now.
  3. physicsnerd macrumors member

Feb 25, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I'd wait until the next powerbook revision. Personally, I think that the new powerbooks will sport a 970. They're due for a revision, and I think they're putting it off until after WWDC because of the 970. Even if they don't get a 970, they should be revised before school starts again.

On a different note, I have the 15" and love it. It's my first mac and I've had it since feb. I'll be sticking with mac for a long time.

4. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Either way, waiting a couple of weeks won't hurt. If new ones aren't released, the old ones will still be cheap (or cheaper). If new ones are released, and are more expensive, you can get a good discount on one of the now "old" ones.

And either way, you can get a nice student discount. :)
  5. springscansing macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York