I hate airport security :-(

Discussion in 'Community' started by Powerbook G5, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

So yeah, my two month old PowerBook, my baby, without a single scratch or mark goes through security...they ended up scratching the bottom of it all to hell, put three scratches on the back near the hinge, and put two more on the top lid along with a gash near the superdrive. I went to fill in a complain and they weren't at all helpful in the least bit. Needless to say I am not happy and looking to file a complaint on Monday... :mad:

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

why would u ever put anything other than your clothes through security? ALWAYS carryon man, ALWAYS!

3. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

tazo is right. If you have something a value, then you got to carry it on. If you did send it through with the luggage, then be happy that it was still there when you landed.

4. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It was carry on, but you have to take your laptop out of its case so they can check it personally.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It doesn't matter, they'll make u take out your laptop & place it alone on the conveyor belt for X-raying. I've had to do it several times. It's a pain in the ass for sure, but that's how they do it.

Good luck getting some compensation man. ;)

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

if they ask you to take it out, they make u just turn it on. why would they have u take it out and put it through the luggage scanner? thats stupid...

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Hey, look at the bright side... at least you don't have to worry about babying your powerbook anymore. It should be a huge weight lifted from your shoulders.

I remember when my iPod got it's first major scuff mark... a very liberating experience.:eek:

8. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

They put it on the table, scan each side of it, take the battery out, put it back in, turn it on, turn it off. The guy slid it across the metal table and dragged it against it a few times despite me telling him the case is made of metal and asking that he be more careful after the first time so it wouldn't have metal scratching against metal.

9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Yeah well I used to work for Duty Free at the Honolulu International Airport and believe me, those that the TSA hire aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. Generally overpaid overweight fools in my opinion. They make a mockery of the position.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

One alternative is to just not care so much about some scratches.

Its whats on the inside that counts.

scem0

11. nspeds macrumors member

Security checkpoints in the states are so complicated. They require you to take of your shoes, you're belt, put your laptop out of the carrying case, take off the watch, take of any jackets and put them through the xray.

Its so easy to lose something, I haven't lost anything yet but I carry a lot of important stuff in my sport coat and I don't like to undress myself half way for the world to see.

If there is any damage to the items that I have put through the screener, I will complain and will demand compensation. Its already enough that I don't complain about putting my computer on the screener in the first place.

12. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

American airport security are a bunch of jerks. I have never met a bunch of self-important, yet stupid morons in my life. I realise why it is there but just because you essentially had no airport security before 9/11 is no reason to act like idiots now.

I once spent ten minutes explaining to three of these bozos at LAX what a survival bag is. A second time I got stopped for carrying what they thought was a knife in my hand luggage - it was a comb. I have never been pulled over by UK security. Oh yeah in other countries they don't scream 'Don't touch it' when you try to explain what something is. As I said - Jerks

Over here we have little trays to put stuff like laptops in so they can be x-rayed. I've taken my ibook to several European countries through London Heathrow and all they've done is X-ray it. They also x-ray mobile phones and check the soles of your shoes. Many times I haven't even had to take the laptop out of it's bag. I'd suggest the UK is at bigger risk than the US due to our close association with the US and we have a fairly large Muslim population a minority of whom hold extreme views.

13. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I have flown a bunch of times this year, here is the drill I have been through. I had to put my laptop through in its own plastic crate, the ones they have stacked up by the xray machines. I have not had to turn it on, nor do they allow that anymore. You can still hide C4 inside a working laptop.

Sucks, but after a while you won't care. My Ti book is beat all to hell. At first I cared, but now I recognize it as mine.

14. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Just made me think of that scene in 'Airplane!' where all those guys go through the metal detector with machine guns, RPG launchers, Uzis and the old lady gets accosted.:D

15. winwintoo macrumors 6502

My 83 year old Mom has a metal knee and a metal hip and walks with a metal cane. Every time she goes through security, she has to take off her shoes, put her cane on the xray belt, and still the machine beeps. Then it takes the bozos 10 minutes to assure themselves that it's her metal knee that set the thing off.

What a crock. They ask permission if they can feel her knee - she can't hear them, and doesn't understand them anyway and they won't let me stand close enough to interpret for them.

It's an ordeal every time.

While they're spending time with Mom and trying to keep me at bay, anyone could go through with an AK47 in plain vieew and they wouldn't even notice.

My stowed luggage containing a couple bottles of syrup was "inspected" - I was surprised that the bottles weren't opened and the contents analyzed.

It would be easy to get a bomb on board - just mould the plastique into the shape of a knitting needle and you'd be home free.

m

16. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, even with their higher security, when I flew a month after 9/11, I went through four security points with a pocket knife in my pocket since I forgot it was there, but they made me open my shave kit and they took my finger nail clippers and Mach 3 raiser blades. I guess a 20 tool pocket knife with 12 different blades isn't a big security risk, but you know how dangerous those finger nail clippers are.

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

airport security is a joke
    i think it also depends on which TSA person you get, your laptop, and what you look like. Nobody gives a damn about me and my PowerBook or iBook and all my cables and tech stuff that doesnt set off the metal detectors, but they give a damn about elderly people and make a big fuss being really rude to foreigners too. One of my aunts was in town for a few days, and she didnt speak English well and they kept yelling at her in English despite the fact that she kept telling them that she "don't understand english". I tried to translate for her, but hell the TSA people were giving me a hard time and i was really close to telling them to **** off. Maybe its a race thing, maybe its a behavior thing. Maybe its because i say hi to them nicely, even though i hate their guts. Who knows. Maybe its the fact that LAX and other big airports are the only ones with crummy and arrogant TSA people. Nevertheless, all weve been doing to prevent terrorists is total bs. with all this "security" it'll be easier for them to commit an "act of terrorism" some other way.

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

sorry to hear about your powerbook...metal scraping against metal like those security people did to your laptop will definitely scrath it badly...you have a claim

when you scratch stainless steel against annodized aluminum, which is much softer, the aluminum loses and gets worse for the wear

airport security is made up of people, some good, some bad but all necessary for our safety in the air in these unfortunate times

but dragging an aluminum powerbook carelessly across stainless steel? it makes me cringe and i wonder how many other laptops they scuffed up badly?

let us know how it turns out in the end because terrorism or not, the airport security has no right to carelessly damage your property like that

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

did the airport beat the tibook up like that?

really there has to be a better way to deal with laptops..most laptops cost more than most people make in a month

i understand if an airport person slides a fabric and plastic suitcase across hard steel surfaces...no damage done

but scratching and banging up expensive laptops? for what? national security? to me, it sounds like carelessness and a lack of attention to detail...the same type of lack of attention to detail which will still make it easy for a terrorist to get a gun or bomb on board an airliner

20. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

There should have been trays to stick the laptop in. In every airport I have been in (Manchester, NH, Pittsburgh, PA, Boston, Newark, Kansas City, San Fran, they have all had plastic trays to stick laptops and soft bags into to put through the xray. The TSA people can then slide the tray, and not the laptop, over whatever without scratching.

Did the initial poster look for any trays?

Good news, check this out:
    http://www.tsa.gov/public/interweb/assetlibrary/SF95Claim_Form_Rev_9-1-2003.pdf

a claim form for any damages the TSA causes.

From the TSA Website:
    http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198006a558

I can't see how if the instructions were followed that the laptop could have been scratched. If it was, then the claim form should be filled out, and the poster should file for damages.

21. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

They took it out of the tray that I had put it in because they said it is a requirement to put it onto the metal table for their security scan of all laptops since it is sterile, as opposed to the trays.

I got a claims form and a phone number to call, so hopefully I can do something about it. If it were a few small scratches, it wouldn't be so much to be upset about, but there are some really nasty gashes in the aluminum going into this black layer on the back of my latch and that cannot be good for the case.

22. winwintoo macrumors 6502

At Bush International in Houston, the TSA guy took my iBook out of the tray I put it in and took it over to another counter and did something to it - I wasn't allowed to watch and he wouldn't tell me what he did. Speculation is that he was swabbing it for drugs.

I think he was just trying to distract me so I couldn't see what they were doing with my helpless Mother.

What I hate is that your valuables are going through the xray machine faster than the people are going through the metal detector. People bunch up and it would be so easy for someone to pick up your purse or laptop and take off before you even knew it was happening.

Maybe the reason that there aren't more thefts from the xray belt is because even the crooks are so pissed off my the TSA's that they can't be bothered.

m

23. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

You don't have to stick your laptop into the xray machine until the second they tell you to step through. If you are traveling with someone else, then you can wait to put laptops through until the second person goes, when the first is already past.

I also keep my eye on the laptop until it is back in my hands. There are enough security people around that stealing a laptop would be pretty stupid.

24. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well I doubt you'll get any reimbursement but as long as your computer sill functions that's the main thing. Certainly they could have put gorillas and monkey's behind those checkpoints and no one could have told the difference with the people they've got working now.

25. Xero macrumors 6502

hey sorry to hear about it man. i too have had some minor issues at airports. the only time i visibly notice my TiBook getting older, is after ive traveled by airplane. theres always a bunch of new scratches and things that i know werent there before. its pretty annoying if you ask me. i mean, whos going to put bombs in a $2000-$3000 laptop?!

Sounds like your situation was a lot worse than mine though. Good luck with the compensation, i hope you get some.

Oh, i do remember on the way back from hawaii a few summers ago, the TSA guys were freaking out about a stereo mic i had in my carry on bag. i had to TELL them REPEATEDLY that it was a microphone... good lord.:rolleyes: