Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Sorry, long article. Feel like ranting since I'm pretty pissed at their lack of customer service.

I ordered a copy of Tiger on a Friday night. Then I noticed their website defaults to the last shipping address rather than the current billing. Consequently, my order was going to an apartment that I have not lived at for years. Shoddy web design, but I also did not until a minute after I hit the submit button.

I figured this is no problem. I see if I can cancel the order. Apple does not let you. So I waited till first thing Saturday morning to call customer service. I talked to a Jennifer, explained what happened, and asked that the order be changed. She said she could not do that, nor could she cancel the order. She said to call back when I had a tracking number and then they would call FedEx to change the delievery address as only the shipper could change addresses.

Got my tracking number on Sunday and talked to Molly. She said that she left a voicemail would Fedex to change the address, but she would call again on Monday (when FedEx would open) to confirm and leave me a message that the change was made.

No call from Molly on Monday and no change on the FedEx tracking page, so I called again. I talked to a guy who claimed that Apple cannot change addresses whatsoever once the package ships. To prove his point, he called FedEx on a conference call with me. The FedEx operator was more than willing to immediately change the address to the correct one. But the Apple representative refused to allow it, saying it is against their policies. At this point I asked him to let me speak to his supervisor.

I then talked to Allison who told me that it's a security problem to switch addresses. I told her to think about what is a greater security risk: changing shipping to the current billing address or an address I have not lived at for years. Five minutes of argument ensues and she finally relents. She said that as a "onetime customer courtesy" she would change it the correct address. Her attitude during this conversation was as if she was doing me the greatest favor in the world and I should be on my knees thanking her.

However, she said it would take 48 hours to make this change. I told her it would already be delievered by then. She replied that something like this does not take just a minute to do. I told her that I just heard the FedEx rep say that she was willing to change the address and yes, it does just take a minute to do. She claimed that she had to email her manager, Micheal Linnen, before she could make the change. Never heard back from her and of course FedEx has now made three delivery attempts to my old address.

Contrast this with Dell, who's service reps (albeit foreign) are bending over backwards giving me price breaks, concession coupons, freebies for any problem I have with their products (I buy mostly their monitors). With Apple, all I asked for was a simple address change and it seems I have to talk to five different people to do that.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Join the club, I'm pissed at them too at the moment. I can't be bothered to go in to it all, but their "service" & "care" has been abysmal of late :rolleyes: :mad:

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I feel your pain. Anyone who followed my posts from January to about March knows the crap Apple put me through. Dell has actually been the best company to deal with as of late and, in my experience, blows Apple's customer support out the window. So sad Apple.. so sad..

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Yep, same here. I feel your pain too. Apple has been so unforthcoming with the issues I had, it is crazy. There's too much to tell and I am over it but I must say I have not had a more unpleasant experience with a company support than with Apple service. Long story short, they suck hard.

Morale of the story, only buy at stores.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Usually this is the last area of a company to expand after heavy sales.
They have gone from dealing mainly with long-term Mac users who have bought new machines, to a lot of people who are completely unfamiliar with the whole Apple thing and constantly calling about some trivial thing or another (a bit like these forums of late!).
It's these people that are clogging the whole thing up, hopefully more manpower will be allocated soon, as Apple realise just how bad the situation is!

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I've (well, my dad) only had to deal with Apple Customer Services once in the 8 years we've been owning macs for.

Recently, our G4 died due to a PMU glitch. This was at about 7:45pm on a Thursday evening, and my dad needed to use his G4 the next day for work. We phoned up Apple Tech Support UK (via phoning the Regent Street shop) and were put through to a nice, helpful person in Ireland (nice to know Apple don't use call centres based in India, like so many other companies) who within five minutes had our G4 back up and running, and my dad's credit card feeling £35 lighter.

The person in Ireland was very patient and helpful, and (despite the cost, which was pointed out before tech support began) we would be more than willing to call Apple tech support again in the future.

We also got a question that had been bugging us for a while answered: How old is our computer! :D

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
thomasp said:
We phoned up Apple Tech Support UK (via phoning the Regent Street shop) and were put through to a nice, helpful person in Ireland (nice to know Apple don't use call centres based in India, like so many other companies)

This is a funny point. The only person that ever actually helped me at Apple was a phone service gentleman from Ireland! All the other times I called apple I got either U.S. or India help and it sucked big time! Go Ireland support haha :)

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I'll chime in and say that I've found support at the Genius Bars of Apple retail stores to be superb, especially if you go when there aren't many people there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.