I hate Choices!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Metatron, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

I have been reading all the websites stating benchmarks and how that the newest powermac is slower than the older amd and intel based PC. And no, not just in games, but photoshop, and other creative/productive tools. The only reason I have not went to Windows XP permently is because of Final Cut Pro. And I am about to by a new computer. And I feel that I am drifting to a duel AMD based Machine. Is apple about to bump the speed again? And how soon? I know no one really knows this info, but I am looking for a very educated guess. Oh Jesus Christ Apple, go to the Power4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Do not go with a dual-processor PC! PCs do not handle multiple processors as well as macs, and in most cases have NO performance gain from dual processors. I currently have two computers... A dual 1.53ghz Athlon MP system and a dual 1ghz G4 system. The only program I have to compare the two is photoshop7, but it runs smoother on the mac.

3. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

PCs benefit from dual processors when multitasking moe than in an individual app.

Say your doing a render, and wanna burn a CD, you'll see benefits.

Bear in mind that the consumer versions of Windows don't support Dual processors.

With that said, I'd still stay with a Mac, as the speed gains in tasks are offset by the downtime/configuration/ease of use effort. If you're doing creative stuff, not requiring huge processor drains (renders, compiles, tree diffs, etc.) the difference in negligible.

If you really wanna get speed from a PC, try a Linux distro (lacks commercial creative tools).

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Right now I would say go with the PC, but if you can wait until
    apple gets a IBM processor in their powermacs then wait for that.

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

nothing in the pc world is going to come close to final cut pro. thats the end of that story.

so, will the dual athlon run final cut pro??

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I got a dual 1900+ athlon box (from alienware, don't buy from them, terrible customer service) about 6 months ago and have been extremely pleased. the little problems here and there that you hear about really aren't that bad (well, at least for what I do on it, which is mostly photoshop, illustrator, and web browsing), and the speed is really worth it. it took a while getting used to XP, but I found it pretty easy to navigate and fool with the settings after I got situated.

I've had two BSODs, neither of which have caused me to lose work, and the comp was fine on startup (on a related noted, I've had two 10.1.x kernal panicks and 1 in jag). although I approached the machine with a lot of prejudices, being a mac-only user before buying it, it's really won over quite a bit of my trust. I haven't had much time play with the dual ghz machines, but compared to my dual 500 g4 and my 800 tibook, the dual athlon runs everything faster and has been far more responsive. I was able to edit about 5-10 gigs of PSDs (I forget exactly how much it was, but it ate ~30 gigs in scratch! O_O) in one sitting (opening them all at one time) without hardly any troubles, especially in the last half... when I tried opening them on my dual G4, it took 10 minues to force quite PS7 after waiting 40 mins for it to try to open all the files (10.1.5). PS7 on my 800 tibook in 9.2.2 is about as responsive as the PC, which is what really counts for me (I could care less about filter render times, etc).... it's really sad how slow jag is in some areas, especially the interface items (menus, checkboxes, scrolling). I just find it so utterly annoying when I have to make long mouse click to do the simplest things in jag. I know its like half a sec or whatnot, but IMO those parts of the interface really need to respond quickly.... I've only been able to play around briefly with a dual ghz G4, but I was really surprised to find that my 800 tibook was not substantially faster than my dual 500 box even though it got a clean install of jag and runs so great in 9.2.2.

I still love doing php development and other web thingies on my mac, and there are other things about jag and OS9 that I really like... over the past 6 months I've found that I tend to like both boxes about the same, and I doubt that I'll ever be able to buy a new computer without buying one of each :D he he

I know I'm talking out of my a**, but I really think that PCs are underappreciated here...I've yet to have a horror story with mine. to each his own :)

it seems that holding out till late next year would be a good idea with all the new stuff that's appears slated for then...