I Hate Fedex

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrianSalts, Sep 13, 2006.

1. BrianSalts macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006
    Today I stayed at home from 11-1 to wait for my macbook to arrive... and... I was checking the tracking page..

and lo and behold, after 12 (the estimated time), a "delivery exemption" popped up on the tracking, and said taht the customer wasn't at home.

screw that! I was at home the whole time. he never left a pickup thing on the door handle or anything. he didn't even ring the doorbell. i dont' even think he even went to my place.

i hate this.

i want my macbook!!!
  2. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Join the club.

I had a package that normally takes a day to get to NYC that went to Harrisburg, sat for two days, and then finally got there this morning. :rolleyes:
  3. jessep28 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    I can't see where you are from when typing this, but if you have a FedEx location in your city/town, then you should be able to call them, have them keep the package and you go there yourself and receive delivery.

I do that frequently since my FedEx distribution point is 10 minutes away from my University and I don't like how the drivers will let anyone typically sign.
  4. BrianSalts thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006
    yea, i could always do that, but the local fedex facility is like 30 minutes away, and my parents can't drive me.
  5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I recently had a similar problem with dell. I was on the phone and I yelled the ladies ear off until she gave me 25% of that order and promised me it would arrive tomorrow (this was my second call, they expedited the order after my first negative phone call)

I mean trust me you'd be amazed what the shipper can do if you push hard enough I've seen near miracles ... at least its the middle of the week. (well actually i've had saturday shipping added on friday afternoon when the product was five states away).

at the same time if you're not old enough to drive well I don't really think your time is worth that much and theres always tomorrow.
  6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    You think FedEx is bad?

Try UPS. :mad:

I've been robbed, several times, from UPS. I use FedEx and USPS.
  7. nickelbackmac macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2006
    Jonesboro, Arkansas USA

Good lord! If you mean they've opened your stuff and took it, then I agree. I have had countless times where the same guy stole my stuff. I didn't find out until after he quit. UPS told me one day at work, and he had already moved to Montana (I live in Arkansas). Who know. He probably moved to Alaska for all I know.

To the OP: I agree with you here too. I was up babystitting in Alabama in July for my son and daughter in law. She was expecting a package from FedEx (dentistry equipment, she's in school up there) so we were home all day FedEx was supposed to run by. We heard 1 knock, and when I set the baby down, I went to the door, saw him climb in his truck (AND HE WAVED AT ME! HE SAW ME!!! :mad: ) and drove off, only leaving a door tag saying he will try again tomorrow.
  8. jessep28 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    USPS is cool, UPS is terrible.

My buddy used UPS for his eBay operation and they screwed him over several times when shipping items to people. He wanted a refund one day and they told him to switch carriers!

Also, I remember him complaining a couple years earlier that an item he bought personally off of eBay was not delivered b/c of a derailment or something. UPS is the devil.
  9. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2004
    Los Angeles.
    Robbed? Wow...

In any case, my 3rd party delivery service of choice is DHL... best service hands down. Then I love USPS, great times, cheap rates.

Then there is UPS and FedEx.

When I ordered my PowerBook a few years back, the same thing happened to me. Luckily I saw the FedEx truck stopped on the street next to mine and I confronted the guy. Apparently he went to my GARAGE DOOR and knocked there. Well, I was watching the driveway the entire time and he didn't even pull in.

Two weeks ago FedEx was to deliver a 20" LCD I ordered, and I missed it the first day because I had to sign for it. So in any case, I figured they'd be around 5pm like they were the day before. Absolutely nothing. Finally, at 7:25pm, a van pulls up with FedEx slapped on the side of it, and a 300+ lb woman climbs out and hands me my package. No signature or anything. I was beyond pissed off.

Yet another time FedEx has told me to pick up my item at the distro center, and when I got there (20 minute drive), they informed me it was at ANOTHER distro center... I felt like Mario when Toad tells him the Princess is in another castle.

And finally, the worst FedEx story I have is that I recieved a Dual 867mhz PowerMac G4. The box had HOLES in it, and FedEx stickers covering the entire thing.... oh yes, that was after I recieved it nearly a week after it had been scheduled to be delivered. On the tracking page, it was stuck in Atlanta for 10 days. I called to inquire about the package and I was finally told the package was lost at the airport, and that I should either expect it in the next two weeks, or file a claim. Well when I did get it, it looked like it was tossed around the runway, battered and plastered with stickers to cover up cuts/holes, etc.

I have but one UPS story, and that is my iMac G5 was supposed to be delivered on a Friday ( I had ordered 2 day shipping on Wednesday), and it was on the vehicle... but the driver went back to the depot at 5pm. No attempt at delivery... nothing. "On UPS Vehicle for Delivery" and then " Arrived at Sorting Department" or whichever lingo they use.

I was a bit angry when they delivered it on Monday.

I wish companies would use USPS or DHL more =\
  10. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2004
    Los Angeles.
    I can understand how frustrating that can be but this made me laugh out loud.
  11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    i don't deal with UPS, when i have my computer shipped out for repairs i always have it shipped to store this way their is no miss-communication and i get to drool at all the new stuff while i take home my ancient computer :p
  12. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Mar 14, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Those fockers never do their job. I had to drive 45 minutes away to the nearest Fedex center after that jackass didn't even knock, NOTHING. I was waiting for my copy of tiger, sitting BESIDE the door.

What's so damned hard about knocking and waiting 30 seconds?
  13. jessep28 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    FedEx drivers are pretty much all independent contractors to my knowdlege. That solves Union problems like we saw with UPS in 1997.

Being idependent contractors, I'm sure you get those with professional delivery trucks and others who for less money work out of their vans down by the river :) .

The best shipping company I have ever dealt with is DHL. On my Dell, there was a defective CD drive and the day after I called for a replacement, there was a guy pounding on the door at 7AM.
  14. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    I find that UPS does a good job with business to business and overnight shipments, but home delivery really depends on your driver. I still like to use the USPS, great rates and very good service.
  15. Demoman macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2005
    Issaquah, WA
    It sucks waiting for something, only to have it delayed by a size 2 hat. I thing UPS and Fedex have performed decently for me, and I ship a lot. But, the USPS has taken incompetency to a level few have achieved in any venue, or undertaking. In fact, if you made a list of the 10 worse carriers, they would command the top 9 positions.
  16. Peace macrumors P6

Apr 1, 2005
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
    I heard FedEx and UPS were merging..

New company name : FedUP :p
  17. BrianSalts thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006
    wait... is there a possibility that the dude wanted to steal it?
  18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002

Only FedEx Ground workers are independent contractors. They get paid on a per package delivered basis, so if you live out of the way or there aren't any other deliveries to be made in your neighborhood that day, you can bet you probably won't get your package. But DHL is the same way. There are the pitts where I live. 50/50 chance you'll get your package.

I've had some bad run-ins with UPS too. Ironically, I think USPS is probably the most reliable, but also outrageously expensive and technologically backwards. FedEx Express is pretty good too.
  19. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    I just had a horrible experience with FedEx today, and I would love it if any of you had any email addresses for corporate or some high-level customer service people...
  20. tammy418 macrumors member

Nov 15, 2006
    That's exactly what happened to me on monday & tuesday and today it wasn't even put into a truck for delivery...so i'm hoping to get it tomorow, i'm crossing my fingers
  21. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    hm.. weird. I've never had any problems.. in fact, when my MBP was delivered a week or so ago, I missed the guy cause I was in class. I called the 1-800 number to schedule to pick it up from the distribution center later that evening (I'm impatient and it's only 20 minutes away).. but the lady offered that she could also put in a request to the driver to come back and deliver again, if possible. I said sure, that'd be great and hung up with her.. 45 minutes later the guy was back with my lappy. :D
  22. Reflow macrumors 68000

Mar 30, 2005
    The best thing that I would suggest is if you get it delivered to your company's address you work at. All the stuff that I ever order goes there with no issues
  23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Neither USPS, UPS, or Fedex bother coming to my door.

So it is always a chore that takes extra time to deliver it, if it isn't dropped at the front office -- heck at times the front office will refuse delivery.
  24. Lucky8 macrumors regular

May 18, 2005
    I think the reason why these drivers are such in hurry all the time is because so they have more time for themselves to drive around or go home early.

Usually when I wait for a package, I put a note on my front porch saying "Fedex Driver, I'm home. Please knock harder" and believe it or not when they knock at my door, sounds like a police raid busting my door down.
    That is why I always try to have packages deliver to my job.
  25. CDailey macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2006

My MBP is supposed to be here tomorrow. I am so doing that. :D