I hate gettin' my hair cut...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Mar 25, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

It never turns out the way I want it. Do you guys have a barber or hair dresser you always go to? I just go to different places all the time, once in a while I get lucky. I don't even get my hair cut all that often.

Last year I started to grow out my hair and just got it cut in a long time and don't like it much... I think I might go and get it cut again. I guess I thought it looked good at the place but when I got home. :(

Here are some pics...

After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

Before "Before"
    [​IMG]

Don't you just love Photobooth :) I kinda like the way my hair falls in this. My haircut now kinda looks like a girl...

Mayb I just don't know what I want to do with my hair. I've been just growing it out. Can I get that messy look with a hair cut without all the product? I hate how my hair curls in and everything it's so straight and when it's dry it's so damned puffy. Any advice would be nice.

2. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

The before pic looks way better than the haircut you got now.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ok I don't see a difference.:p Ok its shorter on the bottom but I don't see any difference in style

I have gone to only 1 person to cut my hair since I was a baby.:)

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

You could do what I recently decided to do after going through a similar "what to do with my hair" type problem...

1. Buy a good pair of clippers.
    2. Throw on the No. 1 attachment.
    3. Go nuts!

:p

5. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

My stylist has cancelled on me three weeks in a row. I hate hair cuts too. :cool:

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Wait you have to make an appointment,:p I just walk in to the barber shop and get it cut.:cool:

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Ok...this is based mainly on experiences of friends of mine.

1. Asian hair most likely needs an Asian barber/stylist, they know how your hair acts better than someone that doesn't have the same type hair. That's not to say you can't find a good stylist that's not Asian, just that they won't have as much experience with that kind of hair.

2. That said, your hair is longer than the typical Asian guys hair. So, now you are looking for a cool Asian stylist...cuz if the only experience your stylist has with long hair is doing cuts for girls...your hair is going to look too girly.

3. Well, all my Asian friends use tons of product...so I don't really have pointers for your there...other than try to find a stylist that doesn't deliberately cut your cut in a way that needs product...usually, I say things like "I have to get up really early in the morning, I don't have a lot of time to actually style my hair, so I need a cut that will look good with nothing in it."

Good Luck!

8. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

9. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Hmm good pointers, I don't think I've ever seen an asian barber around here, but I've never looked either. I'm sure there are some asian stylists. It's such a bother to search.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well, the other option is to find a cool stylist and develop a good working relationship with them. Make sure they know what type of cut you want (something that looks funky and cool, but requires no product to look good on a day-to-day basis) and (if you can describe it) how your hair "acts differently". If something doesn't turn out right the first time...address that the next time you see them.

Also, find a picture of someone with the haircut you want and take it in with you...Or if you find a couple of pictures of different styles, then bring them all in.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I hate the stress of getting a hair cut. I have had one to many bad ones in my time. I finally got to the point of just asking my female friends and my girl friend where they go. I will pay the extra money to just go to some one who is good and when I now girls are a lot more picky than guys which general means their person is good. Just feels a little weird going into a very girly looking place. But the reduce stress of a crappy hair cut is well worth it and it turns out normally very well for me.

But I do have a pretty simple hair cut I like. A 2-3 on the sides blended into the top and cut short on top. You will be surprised at how many people can not do that and really screw it up.

12. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

She's usually booked solid a few weeks in advance. That's why I hate the cancellations.

13. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

a paper bag would solve your problem;)

I get mine cut once every 3 months, hate it everytime. Always have, probably always will. I've sort of got used to it.

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I hate getting mine cut so its been about 3-4 years.

15. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I find clear communication to be my problem when I get a haircut. If I don't say exactly what I want, I don't get exactly what I want :)

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

I once walked into a hair salon and said "Make me look like a Republican"

17. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Yes. But they were closed on Friday. So ... I went somewhere else. And ... well, Carl didn't do a very good job with my few remaining hairs. It's hard to mess up baldness, but ...

Poor Carl. He was old and said some awfully ... inappropriate things. And the radio was so loud ...

And just as a side note, you'd think I could pay less for a haircut than someone with a full head of hair, no? I'm less labor intensive, easier to style, etc.

Gah! Finish the story, Mongo!

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

19. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Tell us where you are and someone might be able to point you in the right direction. It took us quite a while, but we found a stylist where I am that digs Japanese hair styles - she's American - and is pretty adept with my wife's hair (wife's Japanese, see). Point is you never know what's out there.

YT

Incidentally, yes, I always go to the same stylist. Like Rodimus says, it's too much hassle wondering if your Style America stylist's last job was 'sheep shearer'. Not only that but once you have a regular stylist, you might feel confident to ask him/her to style your hair however they think would be good... Much less stress than trying to find a damn picture or trying to describe what you want without feeling like a total plonker.

20. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

It was freshman year of college and I had about 6" of hair. I was looking to look respectable for job interviews and the like. I went to a funky little hair salon near campus. It was done in purple with masks on the wall.

I walked in and said "I need a haircut" and then was asked what I was looking for and I said "Make me look like a Republican" There were 5 minutes of laughing and then I ended up getting it cut short, a little longer in the front, parted on the left, layered in the back and sides, minimal sideburns. The haircut was thoroughly dull.

21. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Geez, I love getting my hair cut (I'm a guy). whats the big problem with you guys :confused:

22. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Firstly, what have you got against plonkers?

:p

Secondly, I am living in Tokyo and am not Japanese so i had a little trouble a first finding a hairdresser to cut my hair -- couldn't speak much Japanese -- but thankfully I used to keep my hair short-ish with a #3 shave on the sides and the back and a little longer on top but nothing that required 'product'

I got a few laughts when I would ask for 'a fried chicken on the back and sides' till I got my Japanese pronunciation correct!

Now I have a lillte more stylish hair which is mid-short in length and 'teased with product' -- thanks to a great stylist I have been using for about a year-and-a-half, not far from my apartment

Maybe photos later...

23. shecky Guest

shecky

thirded. i do a #2 and cut it every week. when you start balding the only option in my world is a closely-cropped trim like that. plus my haircuts cost me a $60 trimmer amortized over the past 3 years = dirt freaking cheap.

24. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Well first of all I have personal space issues. I like people a good distance away. Secondly as a kid I wound up with a bunch of short hair cuts which was totally socially unacceptable in the 70s. Thirdly, whenever they took the clippers out my ears would get bumped and I found it to be painfully loud.

25. sturigdson macrumors regular

I, too, cut my own hair. but I don't like feeling like a sheep being sheered, so I actually use scissors. Yes. It is uneven, choppy, and ridiculous-looking.

It's pretty great- every time I get a haircut I look like I just escaped the asylum.

It'd be a problem, except that's pretty much what I'm going for.