I hate iTunes 6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by annielab, Jan 30, 2006.

1. annielab macrumors newbie

I hate iTunes 6. In fact I have had nothing but problems ever since I 'upgraded' from iTunes 4.2! I deleted iTunes 6 using Deinstaller. I've used Deinstaller before and I like the program. To get iTunes 4.2 back I'm trying to load iLife '04. However, when I start the process, I get an error message saying that an application (iTunes, iPhoto, etc.). However, nothing else is running (as far as I can tell). I am also unable to 'trash' the iTunes icon from my task bar because I get an error message stating that iTunes Help is running. It isn't running and it wasn't running when I deleted iTunes. I have shut down, then rebooted, but I still get the same message. I am running OS 10.2.8. Any ideas what I should do now? Help Please! Thanks

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Try using Pacifist to install it (see http://www.charlessoft.com/). thats how i re-installed 6.0.1 when I had installed 6.0.2, you need to delete the iTunes Application first though...

EDIT

Then install all the bits inside the package... BTW if you go back to version 4.x you will loose any recent changes to your library, the old library should be there still though in a folder called previous library versions, if you have any library related problems.

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

iTunes also installs a "silent" app called iTunes helper that starts up at login - you need to go to Sytem Prefrences > Accounts > (your account) > Startup Items, remove the helper app from that list and reboot.

4. annielab thread starter macrumors newbie

I hate iTunes 6

frank, THANK YOU. It did the trick!

5. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Since when does mac have a 'task bar'? And since when do mac users use de-installers? or uninstallers?

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

patience friend - any convert is a good convert even it does take them a while to learn the liturgy

7. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

what is iTunes Helper anyway? is it necessary?

8. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

no idea really, something to do with spotting/managing docked iPods i suspect.

9. altair macrumors regular

yap your right.

10. betbest1 macrumors regular

I thought it was the program that stopped you from transferring (illegally obtained) music directly onto your iPod.

11. altair macrumors regular

what? um.... Apples Response

"iTunes Helper "Listens" for commands to help iTunes communicate with devices (such as iPod)."

yer crazy man

12. annielab thread starter macrumors newbie

I hate iTunes 6

Frank, thanks for your defense of this 'convert'. I've been using macs since they were first called apples and everything came in one box using one floppy. However, what do you call the thing that pops up with the apps one likes to keep handy (I have an iMac and run OS X 10.2.8) As far as the deinstaller, I would recommend it, because for those of us that don't have the time or the inclination to stay on top of all the details of an application, there are always 'things' (like the iTunes Helper) that don't disappear when you toss the app into the trash. As far as my iMac, the only problem I've ever had is following apples decision to make iPod/iTunes compatible with PCs. Okay enough about me doing my own 'defense". :D

Here's my real question. I spoke to soon. It worked, but then I still can't get my iPod to load. iTunes freezes everytime. Any ideas? Thanks

13. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

ha! shows how much i know - still, you have to watch your nomenclature around here - "Dock" not Taskbar (that dreaded Windows thing)

what iPod do you have? have you "restored" it using the iPod updater (i presume iLife 4 comes with a version of it)? does it mount on the desktop successfully (without iTunes running)?
    it may be if you've updated your iPod recently that it's put in some settings that require a later version of iTunes to work (just fumbling in the dark really).
    Any chance of moving to Panther? I've had no issues with iTunes 6.02 or my Shuffle (to date) running 10.3.9, and it found it was actually faster than Jaguar on my iMac and B&W G3s.

we'll get there yet

14. annielab thread starter macrumors newbie

I hate iTunes 6

Dock, ok, I knew that, but in this PC world I hear taskbar more often, and my mind slipped (I'm getting old). Here's what I have done (since I deleted iTunes 6). I reloaded iLife 4 and then reloaded the orignal iPod disc I received with my 3rd generation iPod (the one with the dock, wheel and buttons: that is 3rd right?). Everything looked good, but then iTunes froze during the transfer of the first song. (It had recognized the iPod both in iTunes and on the desktop). I had to force quit iTunes. Good news is I didn't have to reset my iPod. Any idea what it would cost to change to Panther at this point? Thanks for your help.

15. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

is there are version of iPod updater on the disc (the downloadable one installs into Applications > Utilities ) As well as doing updates it also has a "restore" function which will "clean" your iPod back to factory defaults - just in case iTunes 6 added something to it that's causing the problem.

you should be able to pick up second hand copies of Panther from auction sites reasonably cheaply (get a Full version, Upgrade versions are cheaper but a real pain if you have to re-install for any reason) - round here i've seen them go for NZ$50-80 (about US$30-50), and for me anyway, it made a big difference (it's a lot better at networking to PCs). I haven't gone as far as Tiger yet because i think it might be a bit much for my G3s.

then again if it was working well before you put 6 on, it must be possible to get your system back there.