I hate jet lag. But I love British Airways.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by emw, Jan 18, 2006.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

So I'm sitting here in my hotel room in Chennai struggling to stay awake long enough for the room service guy to get here, and it hits me again just how much I hate traveling here.

I'm 11 1/2 hours out of sync with my home time zone. 11 1/2 hours. It's almost a complete reversal of my days and nights and it's a pain to get used to. Granted, I've been in India for less than 24 hours, but still...

Anyway, I flew BA for the first time over here - prior to that it had always been Lufthansa. Let me tell you - BA is by far a much better ride, as far as I'm concerned. Business Class in BA was as good or better than First Class in Lufthansa (to which I was lucky enough to be upgraded on my last trip). The service is great. The seats are great - fold flat! For the first time I actually got some decent sleep (almost 4 hours!) on the flight.

Add to that the fact that the BA club at Heathrow is awesome and the people were so helpful. What a nice experience!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Are we going to see a 'emw's photos from India' thread?

And while you're there, could you go over to Quark's Indian HQ and tell them to pick their socks up? Otherwise, Blue will be very cross. :D

3. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Ha! I wish. Unfortunately this is a business trip with little time for sightseeing. That and I didn't bring my camera :eek:

I re-route my return trip through Bangalore so that I can go set them straight. We don't need a cross Blue running around! :eek:

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It must be night-time there now... hot and sultry. The smell of India...

I wanna go! :(

5. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

It's 7:30 in the evening. Warm, but not hot. Maybe 22-24° C. Nice breeze.

Have you been here before? Interesting place to be sure. Next time tell me beforehand and I'll pick you up in London on my way... ;)

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

You said you were 11 1/2 hours off your schedule, and I recently was going through my iPod's world time settings and saw a zone with 1/2 hour difference. Is that the zone you are in? How can that be?

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Ooo... that sounds a lot better than what I'm stuck in. (It's really cold.. like freaking 45*F!)

Hope you had a productive trip, EMW. :D

8. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

I got on in plane in Chicago, flew to London, then flew to Chennai, India.

Or did you mean how could they have a 1/2 hour time zone? I don't know. It seems very odd to do this, and it makes converting between zones that much harder. I think there are actually 2 time zones that are 1/2 hours, but I can't remember the other one.

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

so you on holiday or is it a working trip ?

o and you need to post a picture of whats outside your window right now LOL just to make us jelouse

10. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Working, unfortunately. As for what's outside my window right now - it's dark :p

During the day, it's nothing spectacular. Large sprawling city. Not a lot of tall buildings. Lots of trees. No ocean or bay view from where I am in the city, unfortunately. No reason to be jealous, for sure.

11. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Newfoundland Time.

12. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Welcome to my region

I too fly BA when travelling Tokyo-London. The flat bed seats in business class are great. I wouldn't pay for business class for myself on vacation it isn't really worth all the extra money, but on a business trip no problem (ie company pays!) I have heard that Virgin is actually a notch or two better. I am a Qantas Frequent Flyer member (being an Ozzy and all) and BA is a partner, Virgin isn't, so I haven't flown them as I wouldn't get any milage points.

As for India, I hear the curry is good...

HARDY-HAR-HAR...

13. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Well that would explain the Alan Jackson/Jimmy Buffet song "It's 5 o'clock somewhere"... He says its only "half past 12" and I always wondered how it could possibly be 5:00 somewhere when all the time zones are on hour differences. Hmm!

14. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

"Almost all time zones differ an integral number of hours from GMT, but there are a number, the most famous of which in North America is Newfoundland, which differ by an odd number of half-hours. Other examples are Iran, Afghanistan, India, Nepal, Myanmar, and central Australia." from Science World

Ever fly Singapore Airlines? I've read it's the nicest of all even in the tourist class cabin and usually booked well ahead.

15. dansuz1 macrumors member

dansuz1

Here's a link to a time zone map of the world. Looks like that there are a few time zones that use the +30 min bump. I have no idea why, though.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/world_tzones.html

16. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

The map helps a lot. Parts of the world I can understand having a 30 minute difference (well, not really) but how did Newfoundland wind up with it. Got to look that up. That's a topic for a different thread, I guess, and to stay on topic here: I love British Airways, too.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, those crazy Newfies. A 1 1/2 hour time zone difference with the T-dot. What the ****? :confused:

Oh, and Australia has this 1/2 time zone weirdness as well. As does India (mentioned already), and in several other countries. I think this is done so that they can be even MORE precise when "shaping" their daylight hours. This extra half hour probably makes their daylight hours slightly longer or something.

18. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com