Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
maestro55 said:
If you have the funds to purchase your own MacBook Pro, it seems like a good solution to your problems. Yes you would be using it for work, so it seems wrong that you would be buying it yourself; however, it would give you that machine to keep and do what you please with it.

I am pretty certain that my career will have me sitting in front of Linux and Windows machines (I am going to start college in the Fall for Networking Security/Administration) I suspect I will use my own MacBook Pro (that I would hope to have) for as much work as I could possible do on it, and use SSH and VNC to do work on the machines, etc. My computer teacher bought him a 17Inch PowerBook earlier this year and uses that for his grades (which are online) and making tests and doing whatever he needs done.

Some companies have policies about using personal computers for work because of company standards and the like. I know my company keeps service tags on all of our work property, and access through personal computers can only be done via a VPN connection using a smart card (which you have to request and justify). Again, may not be a problem, but it depends on the company. It's a way of trying to ensure that company software doesn't end up/remain on personal computers after an employee leaves.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
floriflee said:
Some companies have policies about using personal computers for work because of company standards and the like. I know my company keeps service tags on all of our work property, and access through personal computers can only be done via a VPN connection using a smart card (which you have to request and justify). Again, may not be a problem, but it depends on the company. It's a way of trying to ensure that company software doesn't end up/remain on personal computers after an employee leaves.

True. I was asked to refrain from bringing in my PowerBook to work, even though having the 2nd (faster) Mac on my desk made me more productive. They were concerned about [1] someone stealing my property and them having to replace it and [2], me possibly taking proprietary data home [even though the Mac on my desk can, you know, burn a CD:rolleyes: ;)].

The whole idea of waiting to replace something until after it breaks is pretty stupid. I smell an ulterior motive. Are there many other Macs in your office?

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
zelmo said:
The whole idea of waiting to replace something until after it breaks is pretty stupid. I smell an ulterior motive. Are there many other Macs in your office?
We're a printing and design company. We have 1000's of Macs, but not any "spare" laptops sitting around, apparently.

Heck, I'd even take a previous generation Al PB if it was in good condition. I'm just concerned I'm going to be stuck without a device one day while traveling and be out of luck.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
emw said:
We're a printing and design company. We have 1000's of Macs, but not any "spare" laptops sitting around, apparently.

Heck, I'd even take a previous generation Al PB if it was in good condition. I'm just concerned I'm going to be stuck without a device one day while traveling and be out of luck.

1,000's? RR Donnelly?

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Maybe I'll see if they have any openings - I'd love to work for someone based in Chicago. Got any ins?

Of course, the devil you know...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
1) Wait 3 weeks
2) Back up your data to a clandestine external.
3) put a mini-cd in the drive to jam it.
4) Accidently pass a very strong magent over your laptop's hard drive.
5) Call your IT department and complain that your laptop failed, gimmie a new one, bitches.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
No in's there, sorry. The place I work for is strictly small potatoes by RRD standard's...we've barely $1B in annual sales.

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
yellow said:
1) Wait 3 weeks
2) Back up your data to a clandestine external.
3) put a mini-cd in the drive to jam it.
4) Accidently pass a very strong magent over your laptop's hard drive.
5) Call your IT department and complain that your laptop failed, gimmie a new one, bitches.
Perhaps I should leave it somewhere in the open, in full view of the Sniper Kitty. One quick shot to the HD should do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.