Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maraczc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I just realized that for the price of my new iBook 800/CD with 256 MB Ram and Airport card I could have gotten the Dell Performance and Mobility with a faster 1.3 GHZ Pentium M proccessor, DDR Ram, a 14" screen while still weighing 4.9 lbs., a DVD drive, equivalant of Airport Extreme network card, and a 64 MB graphics card.

The graphics card is what it really bothering me.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
what do you need that kind of video cart @ a laptop? notebooks are for working not for gaming.
by the way, dell is some piece of crap. .. not worth reflecting about.

JEdiBeavis

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
I think you may want to check your numbers again.

Adding the 64 MB graphics card to the Dell 600M bumps the price up significantly higher than your iBook, I think.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I would hate myself too, if I were not very happy with my iBook. I love it! (iBook 700, combo, 16 MB VRAM Radeon)
And I would really hate myself if I were to prefer a Dell over an Apple!

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by maradong
what do you need that kind of video cart @ a laptop? notebooks are for working not for gaming.

I'm not sure if I agree with the 'not for gaming' part, but I do agree with Dell laptops being a little fishy in th ehardware department. A friend of mine from where I used to work opened it one up only to discover that thing thing was almost built to break down. Strips and such were placed in a way to bring the most wear and tear over time and he was appalled.

P-Worm

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I have had my TiBook for 6 months now, and even using a Dell Laptop reminds me of surfing the web from a cell phone. It is slow an cumbersome.

I just set up two new Dell C800's with all of the fixings for a client of mine. The screens didn't look as good as my TiBook, the touchpad didn't work as well, and Windows XP stinks since they have moved all of the stuff that I use three levels deep. (Partitcularly Network Neighborhood.)

(Not to mention the thing is huge and bulky. I would never carry that with me.

I didn't tell my client that I felt this way, but I wouldn't trade my TiBook for both of those laptops.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by maradong
Thats ridiculous, not everyone wants/can afford 2 computers.
It is perfectly normal to have laptop as gaming machine, PC laptops offer gaming performance equal to that of desktops, and twice performance of double-priced mac desktop.

Apple really needs to come out with some fast, and affordable laptops.
iBook 900 MHz 14" is really too bad when you look at money/speed value. Powerbooks are too expensive, and still slow.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I think Apple's laptops are the best part of its lineup. The only flaw right now are the PB speeds, but they should be updated soon (hopefully).

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Megaquad
It is perfectly normal to have laptop as gaming machine, PC laptops offer gaming performance equal to that of desktops, and twice performance of double-priced mac desktop.

I both agree and disagree w/that statement. If you buy a laptop that can perform close to a desktop in gaming it will be a sub par mobile solution. If you buy a laptop that is a good mobile solution it will be a sub par game rig (compared to a desktop). Currently there is no such thing as small, light weight, energy effcient laptop than can double as a kickass gaming rig.

Lethal

maraczc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
For $1850 CND you can get from Apple:
G3 800 MHZ Proccessor
12" Screen
256 MB SDRam
Airport Card
CD-Rom Drive
32 MB Graphics Card
30 GB HD
USB 1.1
1 Year Warranty
90 Days Telephone Tech Support
4.9 lbs.

For $1850 CND you can get from Dell:
1.3 GHZ Pentium 4 Mobile
256 DDR SDRam
Airport Extreme Card (PC Equivalant)
DVD-Rom Drive
64 MB Graphics Card
30 GB HD
USB 2.0
3 Year Warranty
3 Year Telephone Tech Support

Apple needs to get it's act together fast. If I could, I would trade my iBook for one of those in a second. The fact that it's a Mac can only go so far. You can't possibly stretch it anywhere close to making up for all these improvements.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
well if you get the dell... enjoy the inevitable hardware failures.
exactly. take your iBook back, maraczc, and get your Dell. you'll regret it. why do this to yourself? a piece of hardware is not the value of the sum of its parts. if you can't see the value of that iBook that makes it better than the dell, then maybe you belong in the PC world. lest you forget, you can't run the best Mac Apps, or OS X, on that freaking dell.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by maraczc
For $1850 CND you can get from Apple:
G3 800 MHZ Proccessor
12" Screen
256 MB SDRam
Airport Card
CD-Rom Drive
32 MB Graphics Card
30 GB HD
USB 1.1
1 Year Warranty
90 Days Telephone Tech Support
4.9 lbs.

For $1850 CND you can get from Dell:
1.3 GHZ Pentium 4 Mobile
256 DDR SDRam
Airport Extreme Card (PC Equivalant)
DVD-Rom Drive
64 MB Graphics Card
30 GB HD
USB 2.0
3 Year Warranty
3 Year Telephone Tech Support

Apple needs to get it's act together fast. If I could, I would trade my iBook for one of those in a second. The fact that it's a Mac can only go so far. You can't possibly stretch it anywhere close to making up for all these improvements.

You forgot firewire on the ibook buddy!

Now go get your dell and quit flaming... troll

nikfel

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2003
MALTA
Come on dude cheer up!!!

I have had my TiBOOK 400 rev1 for two years now and its size, design and capabilities still astonish me and my friends. Yesterday a friend came to my house and he asked me when did that new laptop come out...I had to explain to him that its been out for 2 years. Come on dude apple laptops RULL!! Your iBOOK is great and I am sure the graphics card is more than enough for your computing needs ....I have a ATI RAGE 128 graphics card driving an external 17 inch display at 1024 x 768 and the darn thing still runs exceptionally smooth. So unless u are going to render the next matrix film on your laptop the graphics card in current ibook should be more than exceptional.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
oh for goodness' sake, how many times must we go over this?? Yes, you can get a PC with specs that are superior to those of a mac for the same price. everyone knows that. If you don't understand or don't want the advantages that a mac offers, then by all means, get the PC.

If all you care about is a specs-to-money ratio, how did you think a mac was the right computer in the first place???

Raiwong

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2003
Are apple computers more expensive in canada?!

Going back to topic, its too late to regret now I think. I agree that you made the wrong choice. If you liked gaming in the first place you should have gottena PC, who the hell uses macs for games anyway? its not like they can run many.

Also I find it amazing that dell has such deals in canada, over here apple ibooks are best value.

If you want to feel a bit better, consider your comp came with firewire, a radeon 7500 card. The dell is in no way faster as your CPU 800mh G3 can achieve floating point of 1.7ghz of pentium. Plus your comp came with alot of good software, and is about 10 times more good looking! Your wireless range is also further then the dell. All the games that are currently available on the mac you can play!

Add that to the battery life you have now THINK AGAIN, the graphics card is it so much better?! USB 2? its not even popular yet! DVD ROM ?! get a cheap external combo drive.

It would be a tough decision, but then both of the choices would be good choices.

Now go and enjoy your ibook

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
I have the only mac(Rev A 500mhz tiBook) at work in a fleet of 6 dells (laptop and desktops).

We've had one Cd-Rom issue (would not recognize the drive)

One Hard drive issue (would not access the drive)

MANY, MANY driver issues....

One broken track pad. One notebook cd rom that comes loose constantly...

AND that doesnt even include those inevitable Windows XP issues.... we have one computer that crashes constantly, to no avail...

NO THANKS.... I'll work on my mac even if it means supporting it financially on my own(purchase of hard and software)....

maraczc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's not that I don't like my iBook. It's just that I am mad that my new machine doesn't even meet the minimum requirnments for such software as Unreal Tournument 2003 while a PC laptop for the same price can run it at twice the framerate than the Powerbook can.

As for USB 2.0 not being popular. It's very popular. Even the lowliest computer or the barest subnotebook comes standard with USB 2.0 now. Almost all new computers do. In fact, even a year ago most mid-high range and many low-end computers came with USB 2.0 standard. Alot of printers and cameras recommend that you do not use it with USB 1.1 anymore. And stores have generally stopped selling USB 1.1 cables. The very idea that Apple doesn't even have them in the proffesional lines is absurd.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
It's not that I don't like my iBook. It's just that I am mad that my new machine doesn't even meet the minimum requirnments for such software as Unreal Tournument 2003 while a PC laptop for the same price can run it at twice the framerate than the Powerbook can.
wait, you're disappointed you can't play a stupid game? i've seen UT2K3. there's hardly even a point. what ever. there has never been any confusion that apple is not a gaming system... i don't see why you're bitching post facto.

as for USB 2.0, it's a pride issue with apple, methinks. boo hoo for you. there's nothing that comes USB 2.0 that doesn't also come in firewire. what's the big deal?

sorry to be mean, but we have been through sh*t like this well over a million times.

maraczc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Originally posted by Shadowfax
as for USB 2.0, it's a pride issue with apple, methinks. boo hoo for you. there's nothing that comes USB 2.0 that doesn't also come in firewire. what's the big deal?

Well, just to be technical, many USB devices suck when using USB 1.1 to connect. For instance my printer, it's jut a regular HP all-in-one and it takes about three or four minutes for a job to be started when I click print. Scanning anything takes far too long. Digital cameras also are a pain in the ass when using USB 1.1, if you have anything more than thirty pictures you can expect to wait a while. And many of the USB optical drives can only run at a tenth of the speed while connected through USB 1.1 (true that there are firewire optical drives but those are more expensive).

Like I said it's not that I don't like my computer or neccessarily need those extra goodies/better specs that Dell offers. But it just pains me to know that there is something much better (spec wise) for the same price as my new computer? Nobody has experienced this kind of frustration before?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Well, just to be technical, many USB devices suck when using USB 1.1 to connect. For instance my printer, it's jut a regular HP all-in-one and it takes about three or four minutes for a job to be started when I click print. Scanning anything takes far too long. Digital cameras also are a pain in the ass when using USB 1.1, if you have anything more than thirty pictures you can expect to wait a while. And many of the USB optical drives can only run at a tenth of the speed while connected through USB 1.1 (true that there are firewire optical drives but those are more expensive).
ummm... i know this... USB 1.1 is ~1.5MB/sec. it's for pointing devices and low quality cameras. i didn't say USB 1.1 was an alternative, i said firewire was a good alternative. hell, it has a powered bus. a real powered bus.

maraczc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Originally posted by Shadowfax
ummm... i know this... USB 1.1 is ~1.5MB/sec. it's for pointing devices and low quality cameras. i didn't say USB 1.1 was an alternative, i said firewire was a good alternative. hell, it has a powered bus. a real powered bus.

Well printers and for the most part digital cameras (not videocameras) do not connect using firewire.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Well printers and for the most part digital cameras (not videocameras) do not connect using firewire.
that's true. but really, how long are you waiting for a USB printer? if you print enough to be bothered by that, you need a damned good printer, which, on the high end, there are firewire printers, methinks.

as for cameras, you got me. though it's really not that painful in my experience. like a minute or so tops. i would much sooner spend the money to get a PCMCIA USB 2 card than bitch--oh wait, you don't have PCMCIA :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.