i hate netscape (validation in dreamweaver mx 2004)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by realityisterror, Apr 5, 2004.

1. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i have reason to believe that no one uses netscape. is there a way that i can easily have dreamweaver mx 2004 ignore all netscape check errors? i don't want to go through and have it ignore each individual one. :confused:

anyone who uses netscape is stupid.

reality

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If that includes Mozilla, Firefox, and Camino, you may upset quite a few people, including me.

3. Dave the Great macrumors regular

I'm rubber. You're glue.
    Whatever you say bounces off me and stickes on you.

Netscape. Mozilla. FireBird. Chamino. They have all surpassed IE and are superior browsers!

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

hahaha

IE = The Browser That Shall Not Be Named :D

5. Blackstealth macrumors regular

In your editing window click on the 'Browser Check' button (The one with the yellow warning symbol if you've got errors) and choose 'Settings...' Then either deselect the Netscape option or select a newer version than 3.0 to run the browser check against.

And people do use Netscape.

6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Yes, but what I think he means is dreamweaver is always poping up with Netscape 4 <- FOUR errors. Because it does it to me all the time! Mozilla, Firefox, etc are all cool browsers, which never have any problems (but they aint as good as safari!! - except firefox :p)

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

I assume he's talking about NS4, which I'll agree is an even bigger pile than IE; IE may be nonstandard and broken, but at least it's not nonstandard and broken to the point that a simple, valid, CSS1 page can be entirely unusable for no apparent reason and then it crashes because of a perfectly valid tag combination. Why can't it just fail nicely like proper ancient browsers that just ignore CSS altogether instead of just pitching a fit over it?

Tragically, a handfull of people DO still use NS4 (~0.5%, higher for Mac sites frequented by non-OSX users), though I wish they wouldn't. I don't mind giving them an uglier page, but 100% valid XML can be so severely broken in NS4 that if it's a business site I feel obligated to go in and "fix" it at least to the point the NS version is usable, or use a hack to strip out all CSS and leave it dry.

If realityisterror is not talking about NS4, though, then somebody needs to break out the beatin' stick.

8. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Bah, I couldn't get Safari to load the Java applet when connecting to our Cisco equipment, where Netscape would by default. I messed with it long enough, then just stopped using Safari. Safari has come a long way, but it still has a bit to go.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Maybe you ought to go to Safari>Preferences...>Security where you can enable Java.

10. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

It is enabled and it still fails to load the applet. That's why Safari isn't my choice for browsers.

11. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

netscape at one time was the best browser you could get. this was back in the mid 90's and it was payware. now netscape is pathetic. I wouldn't touch it.

I have tried camino and mozilla and thought they were ok but I love firefox so much that all other browsers are dead to me. anyone else blown away by how fast firefox scrolls?

12. realityisterror thread starter macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i had a feeling this may become an argument...
    i was trying to check a table made by itunes publisher. every other row was blue to make it easier to follow. the validator was telling me that the tag <td> did not have a background attribute in NetScape. it just made me mad to have about 200 browser check errors. using blackstealth's recommendation (thank you) i have set it to check against ie 6, ns 7, and safari. that should be what i needed. thank you.

i didn't mean to start a riot. i realize that netscape is based off of mozilla and so many other browsers are based off of mozilla. i find it stupid that someone would wander around with ie 5 these days or ns 4. those browsers are old and those people are stupid. someone will say that maybe they aren't too good with computers. well, if they've been using a computer since ie 5 or ns 4, i think they would know enough to run windows update. ns probably tells you if a new version is available.

anyway, so many sites these days are becoming more and more complicated and using new technologies, and people need to update their browsers to get the most of the web.

thank you blackstealth, that was just what i needed.

reality
    (i think that's my longest post ever :) )

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, you can hope. My parents are using Mac OS 9.2.2 and they're using Mozilla 1.2.1 since that's the last compatible version for that operating system. Considering how bad Communicator/Navigator 4.x looked, I'm surprised that anyone still uses it if they can use something else. Of course, when I need to use Internet Exploder (or is it Idiots Edition?), it usually doesn't display anything.

I've always been surprised by how much software is written that doesn't ignore what it doesn't understand. I used to go through this with healthcare laboratory software companies. "You're sending us the wrong thing." "It's coming as a part of the message and, per the standard, you should be ignoring the parts you don't need. There are other systems that need the information." "Well, stop sending it to us." <lol>