I hate scammers!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mariahlullaby, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a


    Jan 19, 2005
    I was planning on going to the Apple release party for Tiger tonight and buying a nice new Powerbook (one of those "ultimates"). I checked to make sure the check from selling my PC was good to go only to find out that it had bounced and the buyer had unregistered from eBay. *Extremely angry* I was looking foward to this for weeks!!

    Anyways, as I am assuming I will have to take a price cut on the PC (that is if it ever is sold), I won't be able to get the Powerbook I wanted, which was a 15" 1.67 ghz, 80 GB HD, 128 VRAM. Now I think I might just get the 12" and a Cinema display (20") or maybe just an iBook. I know the 12 + monitor route will a be about the same price, but I do like the nice price cuts and a big screen. How does 64 mb of vram do on light video editing on a 20"?

    And will a 12" iBook be ridiculously slow? I'm thinking about just getting a 12" iBook to tide me over and save up for the next rev of powerbooks for when I got to college next year.

    GRRR, this PC has been a huge pain in the neck since I got it. And this person was NOT a Nigerian scammer (the check came from the US, at least).
  2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a


    Mar 3, 2004
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. What kind of PC are you selling? Good luck.
  3. skubish macrumors 68030


    Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Ebay is a waste of time for expensive items. I refuse to buy or sell anything on ebay over $300. It is just not worth it. Too many scammers and Ebay refuses to do anything because they are just raking in the money hand over fist.
  4. emw macrumors G4


    Aug 2, 2004
    Well, at least you still have the PC to sell again, so this was not a very polished scammer. Sorry to hear about your troubles - but perhaps you can hold out a little longer on the PB purchase until you can sell your PC, instead of settling for a less-powerful model.
  5. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jan 19, 2005
    Yeah, I wasn't going to ship the PC until I made sure the check hadn't bounced (good thing I did). It makes me so mad; I have been waiting over a month for this check for the PC. I have been looking foward to this day, especially after I had agonized over what computer to get. I just want to get rid of this PC, don't really care about the price.

    I think a 12" SD PB and a Cinema would be nice until August of next year (when I go to college). If I still like it, I'll bring it with me. If a G5's out, I might sell the 12". It all depends on how much the PC sells for and IF it sells. I have about $700 saved up right now.

    I'm still going to go the Apple release. I think I'm gonna send my iPod in for a replacement, been having a ton of problems. And who knows, maybe I'll win a PB. Not with my luck, though.
  6. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

    Jan 23, 2005
    Sorry to hear about the drama, but good thing you didn't ship your PC --- way to CoverYourAss!

    RE: iB w/ Monitor.

    Maybe you should consider a PB, because the iB only mirrors the image, and you won't be able to use a 2nd monitor.

    I upgraded from an iB to a PB, and I'm :D

  7. Blackheart macrumors 6502a


    Mar 13, 2004
    EXACTLY what I was going to post.

    But yeah, sorry for your situation. That really sucks. I'm looking to sell an unopened mac mini on ebay but it's a pretty shady market there anymore so I don't know. (It's the $600 mac mini if anyone's interested).
  8. rdowns macrumors Penryn


    Jul 11, 2003
    Damn, you've been trying to unload that boat anchor for a while now. I feel for you. Hang in there. All things happen for a reason. Maybe the Apple Gods way of making sure you get a later rev machine.

Share This Page