I Hate Scary Movies

Discussion in 'Community' started by Guitarius, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I don't know why I watch them any more. They scare the hell out of me. I watched The Darkness just a little while ago, and now, I don't wanna go to bed. Scared me sensless. I'm 18 years old. I'm not supposed to be scared by movies anymore.

I'm not really scared. It's not as if I actually think that stuff is real, and I'm going to get killed in my sleep or something. It's just that I'm totally on edge, and I know if I try to sleep, my heart is going to be pounding until I fall asleep, and I'm going to hear every creek in my house.

It's 2 AM, and I'm afraid of the dark again. This is just pathetic. I feel like I'm 5.

EDIT: It's 2:30, and I'm tired. I'm gonna brave it and go to bed. I'm gonna do it slow though. Get into bed, and watch some TV. Turn out the light watch some more tv. Turn off the TV and clinch my eyes shut until I fall asleep. Wish me luck! I may not get out of this alive. :rolleyes: :D

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Read something, even magazine articles, that will help you go to sleep. I've never been a big fan of scary movies, either. My mom let me watch The Exorcist TV version when I was 13 or so. What in the world was she thinking? I turned it off halfway through and couldn't sleep for days. American Werewolf in London and American Werewolf in Paris were both great movies, but still scared the crap out of me.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm the same way with movies - after exciting movies I have adreniline in my system an hour after seeing the movie, a depressing movie can depress me for a day or two if it is good enough, and scary movies can keep me up all night.

I guess I get into the movies too much :p. Oh well, it makes good movies better.

scem0

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I was about 11 when I first saw Nightmare of Elm Street. Could not sleep for the next 2 days, terrified of falling asleep.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

From the post by Guitarius, I certainly hope that he/she is alright. Looking forward to hearing how a nights sleep went. Hopefully it was productive and safe.

I remember as a youngster seeing a scary movie and having nightmares. To the event of sleepwalking occasionally.

Have seen a scary movie for a while. The last one was enjoyable. Would really get into the emotions. When the movie was over, the fear ended.

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I find the fright fest movies dull actually.

The only movie that really gave me nightmares was the 10 Commandments.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

When I first saw Alien on TV around 1982 (I was around 9 - 10) it scared the crap out of me.

But since then not many films have had the same impact.

The Blair Witch Project unsettled me in a most surprising way.

The scary stuff that you see in films is nothing to what my own imagination can conjour up!!!

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Ah, the scarred-me-for-life movie from my childhood was Poltergeist -- specifically, the scene where the little boy's clown puppet comes to life and tries to strangle him.

10. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Yeah. I'm good. I slept fine last night. Didn't get to bed until about 3, but hey, its not like I had anything better to do. Oh well. I should have learned a lesson by now, not to watch scary movies. It just kinda makes me laugh that they still get to me like they did when I was little. My photographic memory doesn't exactly help. When I shut my eyes, I see the whole movie all over again, and every other scary movie I have ever seen, all at the same time. Oh well. I'll live.

11. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

You're not the only one on this. That whole movie scared the bejesus out of me when I was little, but the clown is what really did me in.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

Thanks for the memory. When I was young, I saw American Werefolf in London at a friend's house at a sleepover. The next morning I was out delivering papers in the dark (it was winter, and I was walking) and I couldn't stop looking over my shoulder at every sound.

Then, as I was coming around the corner of one of the houses, I almost ran over another guy delivering for one of the other papers. I think my heart actually stopped.

It's amazing the tricks your mind will play on you. I was 13 or 14 at the time.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i couldn't sleep for like 2 days after "house on haunted hill". it's not even really that scary. i still can't watch it tho, i don't know why. No other horror movies scare me, maybe just a fleeting bit of adrenaline that's long gone by bedtime :)

14. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Well...

Agreed, American Werewolf in London was a fantastic movie and still holds up well. I just watched it again the other day.

American Werewolf in Paris however, is an utter and complete piece of crap. :D

15. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Yeah

You can add me to the list of impressionable youth forever altered by that movie. Scared the hell out of me, but I loved it. Helped mold me into the horror afficianado that I am today. :D

16. satty macrumors 6502

which version?
    House on haunted hill (1999)
    or
    House on haunted hill (1959)

I assume you're talking of the '99 re-make and not the "original" with one of my favourite actors Vincent Price.

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yep, the remake, never seen the original-- surely it can't be as eerie. Vincent price always seemed more like a grandfather than evil to me, so he's hard to be scared of. Tho most of my knowledge of Price is from my lifetime-- Meaning, his role in Edward Scissorhands.

18. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

Hey, are you quoting from Twilight Zone the Movie ? That scene with Dan Akroyd from the very beginning? Because that freaked me out quite a bit when I saw it at a young age. I was also bothered by the scene in that flick with the boy who's obsessed with cartoons and there's the girl in the room watching TV and she doesn't have a mouth... EEK.

I also suffered serious insomnia after a viewing of Nightmare On Elm Street at age 12 or so. That movie still scares me a little.

I also saw a movie called "The House that Dripped Blood" when I was VERY young... there was a scene in it where a woman is taking a shower and blood starts coming out of the showerhead and she ends up drowning in it I think. That pretty much scarred me for life.

Horror films don't scare me anymore though. I really enjoy some of the better ones, like Rosemary's Baby, The Shining, and of course, THE classic horror film of all time - THE MASSACRE (as in Texas Chainsaw).

19. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Dont worry. After seeing the movie signs (i know not the scareist) I had to check behind my cutins and in the closet to make sure no aliens were in there. It went on for a month. I know strange :p

20. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

i don't get scared in movies, the gorier the better, the more blood spilled the better, go "bad taste" by peter jackson awesome movie

21. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Bloody, gory, these things don't bother me, for some reason. Maybe it's because my mom is a doctor (OB/GYN to boot), and it takes a lot to gross me out. It's the creepy, infectious films that get to me. Like the ones mentioned here. Exorcist, Poltergiest, things like that.

22. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I figured that's what he was quoting too. The rest of the movie was not all that great, but that scene from the opening is one of the more memorable "jump" scenes (from any horror movie) for me.

23. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

The Ring (the Japanese one not the crappy remake) scared me more than I thought it would - very little shown -all left to your imagination. I was also scared by CrimeWatch and The Daleks on Dr Who - used to hide behind the sofa :eek:

24. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Did anybody think "White Noise" was scary? My son just picked it up today, so we'll make it a family thing tonight. My 20 yr. old daughter still likes to watch scary movies. We like the psychological stuff, so all the Hopkins stuff in the three Red Dragon series. I've seen both the 1959 and '99 House on Haunted Hill. The '59 one scared me more (probably because I was young). Psycho still did me in the most back then, mainly for the shower scene and ending.
    X

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract