Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
***Let me apologize in advance by saying that this thread is not about how I don't want subtitles, rather, how I do want them during a foreign language portion of a movie I am currently encoding. If you came here thinking it was a thread about hating subtitles that show up during the movie then I am sorry for wasting the precious few seconds it took for you to realize this is not what you wanted to read. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Have a nice day:)***

I have a new DVD that I have encoded 8 times and cannot, for the life of me, get the foreign subtitles to work during the non-english speaking parts. I'm giving it another major go, but I feel like I've tried every combination of the "foreign language search", "english subtitles", and "forced only" settings I can think of. Has anyone mastered the subtitle dilemma?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Sorry for the inconvenience. I added a disclaimer hoping it helps since I can't figure out how to change the title.

heh, it's no problem. Nice disclaimer lol. Sorry though, I don't have a solution. I just came in curious about the title ;)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What DVD are you tried to encode?

BTW, I agree with you in that I hate the fact that there is no easy solution to add these types of subtitles to blu-ray encodes using MakeMKV and Handbrake using a Mac.

Corruptitudes

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2009

I had problems with that as well. I didnt realize there were subtitles until it got to the Chinese people talking...

Are you using handbrake to encode? There is a subtitle setting that will finally put the subtitles in, I believe it was forced and default is what I checked...

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
Are you using handbrake to encode? There is a subtitle setting that will finally put the subtitles in, I believe it was forced and default is what I checked...

Yes. I am using HB. Which English Subtitle track did you use because there are 3 of them?

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I ran into this problem this week while trying to rip both of the Kill Bill movies. Here is how I figured out how to do it. It may take a little bit of time up front but it will save you hours in the end.

1) Open the movie in HB
2) Go to the subtitles section and add english
3) Click on picture settings at the top of the HB window
4) Click on "live preview" and make a 60 second preview of the section of the movie where there are subtitles.

At this point you will see if there are subtitles where you want them. Often there will be subtitles through the entire movie. When this happens go back to source and pick the next movie file (vts_01_2.vob) and repeat the steps above. You may have to do this a few times but eventually you will figure it out. Each movie is different but it works. Good luck.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
This solution worked. Thanks a bunch.

Apparently, some DVDs do something odd with their forced subs that doesn't mesh well with the latest HB release. Fortunately the snapshots can save our butts when this happens. Glad to hear it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.