I hate the news

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, Apr 2, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I had managed to miss the Simpsons movie thread, and was all excited by the "Big Announcement tonight", and then during a commercial break they ruined the surprise. I knew the movie was coming, but the official announcement was a surprise....and 7/27/07 will be exciting for me.

On a side note, I am intrigued by the diePod...:)

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

YEah.. the diepod was interesting.

I already knew about the movie, a few weeks ago because of digg.com

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

i know. they say, biggest announcement in simpsons history, and then in a commercial break they say, and news about the new simpsons movie.

the die pod was funny but OLD. at least use a 4G:rolleyes: :p

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

maybe they showed a 1G because it is dead? :p

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

wait so you hate the news for breaking a story that you would have been bombarded with by someone/thing else anyway? The movie, meh hopefully it's better than Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story. That was just a lengthened episode with more beginning / ending space... still funny but not a real "movie."

6. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think what bothered me was that I had somehow escaped all the other news, so for me the "big announcement" was actually interesting (I expected it to be the next season - or this - would be the last). Fox knew what the promo was for, but they chose to make mention during the news promo before it aired. Would not have been hard to wait until the Simpsons promo aired or until the episode was over...

7. Compatiblepoker macrumors regular

Simpsons movie? I did not know they were coming out with that. Any more info on it?

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i kinda see what you mean, but its really just news. Furthermore, the promo was boring, short, and gave no detail except for the 2007 release date. It only had like a 5 second clip of Homer going "OOOOH." I mean i get where you're coming from, but if you saw the promo like i did, then you had your perspective, you'd see where i was coming from with it not being too big of a deal at all.

9. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I hate the news here because it ruins your day...it seems that all they talk about in Dallas/Fort Worth is who got killed and who was caught. It's ridiculous.

10. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

That's the other thing that bothers me. The news tend to focus on what goes wrong. Although, I guess in a way it is a good thing. I guess that means that the bad is still the exception rather than the rule. But, at the same time, I find that the news broadcast I most look forward to is the Sky News Seven Days podcast. Lots of fun, silly, enjoyable news.

And I think I know what to compare my frustration with last nights news to - a movie. Sure the surprise ending (the actual promo) stunk and was a waste of time, but I sat through all the build-up - I should get to be surprised and not have it ruined (like the friend who has to tell you everything). If they had aired the news commercial before any of the "Big announcement" spots, I wouldn't have cared....Oh well, what's done is done.

11. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

The irony of this statement, though, is that we both laughed when CBS News in Salt Lake aired a story about who won the Prom King title at the prom going on that night for one of the high schools. We both looked at our brother-in-law, made a face and said "That made the news?!"

I suppose there should be some discernment between worthwhile good news and silly good news...