I hate thinking

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dannnyh, Jun 13, 2005.

1. dannnyh macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    i'm taking a break from dillema number 1:

Which Mac to go for:
    12.1 Superdrive Powerbook OR
    14.1 Superdrive Ibook OR
    17 Superdrive iMac

and have started thinking about dillema number 2:

Where does a newbie swithcher start?????

I don't have a clue. I've been reading forums and web sites for months picking up bits and pieces here and there but i'm guessing there must be loads of really basic differences (Right Mouse Click. ctrl and click apparently)

Will probably end up buying a "whatever for Dummies" book but does anyone know of any web sites I might have missed?

Jees, can't wait till i've made up my mind on what to buy AND learned how to use it, i'm exhausted

2. Xanderxxx macrumors member

Apr 26, 2005
    I think you shoud go in to an Apple store and see which one fits you most. If you want portability, I say go for the iBook, if you want a deskop, get the iMac.
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Serious people ask serious questions. If you are considering a desktop computer at the same time that you are considering two different lines of laptops, then you are not serious. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, however, you seem to have a budget of $1500 US. Because a laptop can do the job of a desktop but not vice-versa, go for a laptop. The iBooks, though less expensive, will require a memory upgrade over their base configurations. Therefore, my suggestion is to get the 12" PowerBook. It also has a faster processor. The PowerBook's professional configuration should give better performance than you should expect by simply up-clocking the processor.
  4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
  5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    If you don't really need a laptop, I would go with a Desktop. They are much easier to use in the long run. Laptops are convenient but not the most comfortable things to use.
  6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    How 'bout a 20" iMac? :p
  7. dannnyh thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    serious people ask serious questions , Well thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt MisterMe, I greatly appreciate it. There are a number of factors that i'm taking in to account when deciding which line to go for:

Price: ibook and imac approx 1,800 US and powerbook approx 2000 US. I am not in the financial postition to change every 2 or 3 years

my domestic situation: Not sure where I will be living soon and so not sure how much space I will have to have a desktop set up.

sorry I can't give more techincal/serious reasons why I'm unable to make up my mind. although if they just goddam updated the ibook line I think I would be ok but I appreciate your reply.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Well, the iMac takes up very little space plus is much faster and has a better screen. I've got an iMac and an iBook and if I had to choose one over the other, I'd probably say the iBook would go and the iMac can stay. :)
  9. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    Can you maybe swing the money to get a PowerBook??
  10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    The Mac 101 website referenced above is a very good place to start--it might feel a little too basic in parts, but it covers things pretty well overall. Book-wise, I've never used one (been a Mac user from very early on), but I've heard good things about The Missing Manual series, so I'd check that out. Most of all, though, just fiddle around with it--things are pretty intuitive, and if you're reasonably comfortable with a non-Mac computer, you can figure out most of what you need to know by just using one.

MacOSXHints.com has lots of cool tips and tricks once you're a little more comfortable--have a look if you haven't already.

Hardware-wise, it's like this: PowerBook = Bit pricey, but a nice laptop. iBook = Nice, cheap laptop with all the basics covered. iMac = Compact computer, faster than a laptop, bigger monitor.

Were I in your position, I'd buy the iMac, but that's because I need the power (and screen size) more than I need the portability. Most other people I know go for the portability, since speed isn't that much of an issue, and unless you're doing video editing or other heavy-lifting, or the extra screen space is more important than the portabiliy, then the laptop is a better choice.

One comment: I wouldn't get the 14" iBook unless your sight is poor--it's got the same resolution as the 12" so you're really not getting much out of it. If you're going portable, might as well go as compact as possible. The 15" PowerBook is, of course, another story (much more screen real estate than the 12"), but pricier as well.
  11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...if you ask yourself a few easy questions you could probably make your decision a bit easier, and maybe get better recommendations from people here:
    - what is my budget for this purchase (including any upgrades and software)
    - what am I planning on using the computer for (gaming? graphics/audio/multimedia? just surfing and general word processing etc?)
    - portablility - do I need to be mobile with this thing
    ....oh yeah!
  12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Nothing original:

If you need mobility/portability, go with the ultraportable 12" PowerBook (better machine, smaller than and same resolution as the 14" iBook).

If you don't need to carry it with you everywhere, go with the faster and more expandable iMac (it's a superior machine to the portables in almost every way).
  13. jmort macrumors member

Jun 10, 2005
    Southern CA
    Another opinion to confuse you

For what it's worth Dan,

I am a print and web designer, and my primary/only computer is a 17inch 1.67 Ghz Powerbook with 1.5GB of ram. It's real fast for everything I do, and I'm never wishing I had a desktop. I know this is as much a personal opinion thing as the next, but I feel that the ability to work at home, starbucks, traveling, or on the couch, is worth a million bucks. My 'book is fast and capable enough, that I haven't yet felt that I was compromising performance. It's all relative though, cause if I had a G5 tower lying around, I'm sure my 'book would feel like a slug in comparison.

So, if it were me, I'd go with a 'book option if I could afford to up the ram to at least 1GB. If you are at all able, I would try for the Powerbook line over the iBook. Lots of extra perks. Faster bus speeds, better resolutions, better graphics cards, etc.

Hope this confuses you more....er...I mean helps.

14. annk Administrator

Staff Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I second Jmort's opinion - I have a 17" PB (1.5 GHz, 512 RAM, so it's not as nice as his :p ), and I love it. It does everything I want to do, including editing video in iMovie, and has a beautiful huge screen but is still portable. It's true you get more for your money with a desktop, but for me, the possibility to take it from room to room - and take it with me where ever - has made it the perfect computer. When I upgrade to 1 G of RAM, it's going to be amazing.

What it boils down to, is very few people who buy a Mac are unhappy :D, no matter what they buy. Since you're not able to upgrade often, decide whether you need portability or not (sounds like you do, since you're unsure of how much space you're going to have), then get the best (= fastest, best resolution, superdrive etc) machine for what you can spend.
  15. dannnyh thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    Cheers PlymouthBreezer and Makosuke. The 101 site was v helpfull.
  16. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

Jan 25, 2005
    Some switcher advice.

Whatever Mac you choose you'll probably be delighted (everyone usually is!)

Heres a fantastic site which compares OSX with XP in depth, so you get a lot of advice about switching. But generally speaking the switch is easy. Its a lot easier if you have a 2 button mouse (which work fine by the way, providing its USB). If not, you soon get used to control+clicking.

The best way to start is to sling yourself in the deep end and start playing with OS X. You'll soon learn how to do most things you did in Windows.

For what its worth I own a Mac Mini and a 15" Powerbook, and I love both. I do still have a PC, which I switch on about once a month when someone challenges me to a game of Counter Strike: Source!
  17. d_saum macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    What??? How in the world can you tell someone they are not serious? He has a very valid question and honestly, I think thats quite rude to tell him he isn't serious.

Anyway... My recomendation would be to go for the iBook and load it with ram. Unless you are going to be doing something that requires Altivec, then I would say get the power book. I bought an iBook a few years back and as soon as I walked out of the store (Comp USA), I thought... man... I dont need a laptop... what the hell did I just do??? Well let me tell you... I can now never go without having a laptop again. Once you get one, you will be hooked... I promise you that. :D
  18. dannnyh thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    Thanks d_saum.

I would defiantley go for the Ibook. The only thing thats stopping me is rumours of an update on the horizon. I convinced my self to up my budget to get a mac laptop and i'm struggling to push it further for the powerbook.
    I know core image isn't a nessesity now but it may have wider applications soon.
    Would love a 14" ibook with a better resolution, a bit better graphics card and a bit more RAM and i'd buy tomorrow.

Anywhoo, my car packed in yesterday and it'll take a while and some £££ to get it sorted so maybe by the time i'm in a position to buy again the ibooks will have been updated :eek:
  19. generationxwing macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2005
    I'm in a similar boat, exept I'm torn more ways than you. And I am, I assure you all, quite serious. I knew nothing about Macs 6 months ago, but I've educated myself to be learned enough to know that I want a Mac. But...

1) iBook or Powerbook? For what I need, the iBook is basically perfect for me. The only graphic stuff I'd be doing is Photoshop (I am hardcore into digital photography); it's doubtful I'd ever be doing much video editing. If I ever were to, it would be basic home movie type of stuff. I assume an iBook (current top-end model) would be able to handle it? If I were to get a Powerbook, it would just be gravy. But the cheap bastard in me can't justify spending the extra cash on it. lol

2) PowerPC or Mactel? I'm guessing that iBooks aren't considered top of the line models so hopefully I won't have to wait until 2007. I am getting muy sick of Windows. Since price is a cost, I'm also hoping that the prices on new Mactel iBooks will be cheaper than PPC models. On the other hand, does anyone think they'll drop the prices on PPC units just to spur sales, if they do indeed slump, and keep the stock price from plumetting?

So that's where I am. If anyone has any advice or comments, I'd love to hear them!
  20. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    The extra pixels on a Powerbook will be very handy when editing pictures. You'll be very constrained when editing on the 1024x768 resolution of the iBook. Of course, I'm assuming you're not going to get an external monitor...
  21. generationxwing macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2005
    You would assume correct!

My problem is the price. Here's what I'd get, in Canadian dollars, with my girlfriend's work discount. Both include the APP.

• 768MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive
    • SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Bluetooth Module
    • iWork '05 preinstalled
    • Keyboard & Mac OS X - U.S. English
    • AppleCare Protection Plan for iBook
    • 14-inch TFT XGA display
    • 1.33GHz PowerPC G4
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

Subtotal $2,554.00

• 1GB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x512 SO-DIMMs
    • 100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
    • 8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    • 1.67GHz PowerPC G4 w/64MB VRAM
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    • AppleCare Protection Plan for PowerBook (w/ or w/o Display)
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    • 15.2-inch TFT Display

Subtotal $3,479.00

So while I'd love the Powerbook the cost of the iBook, while high enough as it is (none of these costs include GST), is closer to my price range. But if I were to go more professional or whatever with photography, then I'd shell out.
  22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    PB all the way! I love mine and did what you're doing, agonized for months about what to get. Then, just as I was going to get an iBook, they upgraded the PBs and dropped the price and I had some extra cash so it was a no brainer for me. It's great for what I need it for but really an iBook would have worked just fine for me.

As far as help goes, most of us here at MR are pretty good about answering switcher questions. Feel free to pop in at any time and ask, also, there is a search function at the top of the page if you want to see if others have had the same questions you do.

Good luck!
  23. jaseone macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    Houston, USA
    Add RAM after market, it is much cheaper (I got 2GB for my PB for about US$270), think whether you need the 100GB drive in the laptop and contemplate getting an external drive later on instead, plus personally I don't think there is much difference between the 1.5Ghz and 1.67Ghz, I have the 1.5 and don't regret it, the 32mb vs 64mb graphics card is a tougher decision, depends what you want it for I guess and also you can wait up to a year to get your ApplCare.

So that should take the price down quite a bit.