Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g7by08believeit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
CA
Hey I'm a new Mac user (well, owner - I've been using for awhile)

I have a white MB 1.83 CD with 1G ram, and i'm having an issue.

When leaving my computer idle for so many minutes time (i haven't actually sat down next to it with a stopwatch to see exactly how long it takes) it goes to sleep.

That's fine (except for the fact that I set it to not turn off display or harddrive unless I put it to sleep or close the lid); however, once it goes to sleep like this, it STAYS in sleep until I hardboot it.
Anytime this happens any open files that i had open are gone - quite annoying.

I haven't complained before namely due to the fact that I browse these forums often enough to know that there's enough of that going around :)

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, feel free to let me know!
Thanks
Tyson

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
without sounding condecending, try the stuff like;
1. reparing permissions.etc
2. slide the bar all the way down to one min let it go (setting it) then moving it back up.
check that you have done this on all of the different settings (battery, power.etc)
4. since you have to hard reset, reparing permissions and reparing the HD are most likely going to fix it. if that doesnt work ...reinstall? but that is lame.

sorry if you have already done these things, has to be crossed of the list at our end tho.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
My wife's MB had this issue. I found that OS X was having a kernel panic either during sleep or waking. The screen appeared black, but in reality the backlight on the display never came back on.

So I would suggest that you put your machine to sleep, open it up and then try shining a flashlight through the Apple logo on the lid to see if there is actually something on the screen in a bunch of different languages telling you to restart. If so, time for Applecare - we had to get the logic board replaced.

Also, keep in mind Safe Sleep is awoken but pressing (but NOT holding) the power key. If you are indeed in safe sleep, you will see the greyscale screen showing a progress bar loading up. If this is the case, try Sesshi's fix

g7by08believeit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
CA

Thanks.. looked through it; however, it looks like that article covers if you're having trouble get in to sleep - my problem is getting out of sleep.

00hkelly said:
without sounding condecending, try the stuff like;
1. reparing permissions.etc
2. slide the bar all the way down to one min let it go (setting it) then moving it back up.
check that you have done this on all of the different settings (battery, power.etc)
4. since you have to hard reset, reparing permissions and reparing the HD are most likely going to fix it. if that doesnt work ...reinstall? but that is lame.

sorry if you have already done these things, has to be crossed of the list at our end tho.

I guess I should've mentioned I've went through all the fun stuff.

repairing permissions, zapping pram, only thing i haven't done would be reinstalling (lame, indeed) i don't have a backup harddrive so i was hoping this wouldn't be the only fix.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Is it actually sleeping (the sleep light pulses), or is it shutting itself off? If the latter, it sounds suspiciously like the random shutdown problem that plagued early Macbooks.

Have you installed all the available firmware updates from Software Update?

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
Hey I'm a new Mac user (well, owner - I've been using for awhile)

I have a white MB 1.83 CD with 1G ram, and i'm having an issue.

When leaving my computer idle for so many minutes time (i haven't actually sat down next to it with a stopwatch to see exactly how long it takes) it goes to sleep.

That's fine (except for the fact that I set it to not turn off display or harddrive unless I put it to sleep or close the lid); however, once it goes to sleep like this, it STAYS in sleep until I hardboot it.
Anytime this happens any open files that i had open are gone - quite annoying.

I haven't complained before namely due to the fact that I browse these forums often enough to know that there's enough of that going around :)

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, feel free to let me know!
Thanks
Tyson

I feel sorry for you. I droped my thinkpad and the battery came whilst it was on. I just put it back in and it woke from sleep I just logged in and carried on.

It wasn't even asleep when I dropped it, it was still on.

This things awesome. But.. do I give the credit to the thinkpad or linux :confused:

g7by08believeit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
CA
Is it actually sleeping (the sleep light pulses), or is it shutting itself off? If the latter, it sounds suspiciously like the random shutdown problem that plagued early Macbooks.

Have you installed all the available firmware updates from Software Update?

Definitely sleeping - light is pulsating.
All firmare and software updates are current

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.