I HATE white van men! (car damaged!!!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Oct 8, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just get back to the station to pickup my car and go home nice and early on a Friday afternoon...and this is waiting for me in the car park :mad:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (see the white paint!?!?!?!)

So I immediately call the British Transport Police to report it, and to get them to check out the camera from the car park (I was parked right opposite one). Well, this is where I start to get even more pissed off! They won't spend the time looking at the camera footage because the time frame that it could have happened in is >4hrs, and I'm not allowed to view the footage. Which means there is someone scraping past the front of my car and then driving off, and no f**ker is gonna look at it. ARGH!!!!!!

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

there legally obliged to give you a copy of the tape as your on it.... believe me

3. Metoyou macrumors newbie

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If the insurance company gets involved, can't they get a hold of the tape....

And it would be easy to go through the tape and figure out when it happened (provided that the dent/paint was visible from the camera).

Good luck and post a pic of the video clip if you ever get it. That would be damn funny :D

D

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Apparently only the police are allowed to view the tape (the people who operate the cameras aren't even allowed), but they will not look at anything where the time frame given is over 4hrs. Which leaves me right up sh*t creek w/o a paddle. No one can view the damn thing.

Now I either need to claim off insurance, paying £300 excess, and loose no claims and have my premium go up next year. Or pay for the repair out of my own pocket which will also cost me big time.

I'm thoroughly cheesed off right now....:mad:

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Tell me more...

7. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

That tears the guts out of you, doesn't it? Sorry to hear about your bum luck.
    What kind of car is that, by the way?

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Is it a guideline or a rule for the >4hr thing?

In this case you could really narrow it down if you could see the car and section that was hit. You skip ahead 2 hours, if its not touched, skip ahead 1, etc. cutting the time in half each time when you bracket it and then you won't be looking at 4 hours of tape :D

D

9. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

It is a mini cooper, you can see more pictures in the picture gallery in his sig.

Sorry edesign, that sucks. I remember the first time i found a dent on my car (never had paint scrapes). :(

10. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

well im 96.394384% sure thats the law... ive got a good friend as a solicitor... ill have a word if you like... you might have to pay x amount but it wont be 300 bloody quid... plus by the looks of it you only need to have minor cosmetic work on your wing (unless there ar big dents/creases) look in yellow pages or thompson local for chip and scratch repair.. there good and cheap...

has it scratched the paint or has it just left its paint of?

edit: ok i see the scratches... get the video get the licences get the address get the baseball bat get me..... get him....haha

11. iGav macrumors G3

Only thing you can do is get a quote from a paintshop, and then find out from your insurance company what they'd screw you over come next years premium if you make a claim on it and decide which is cheaper.

It's hard to tell from the photo's, but are there any dents or is it just scratches?? would you be able to polish them out with T-Cut or is it down to the primer?? would Back-2-Black bring the plastic back up as well or is it really shagged??

Nothing you can really do in this situation, you could find out from CAB to see if you have a legal right to have the tape viewed because of Criminal Damage (The Fuzz ain't always right).

I know how you feel though, when I had my Beetle I came back one day to find a dent on the rear wing above the wheel (van driver) and I needed to buy a new wing for it (actually about £50 for a Beetle) but because it was originally a showcar, the car had a custom deep metallic green colour, and no one could match it... so I had to pay to have the ENTIRE car resprayed.

One of those situations where you wish you'd seen who done it, to give them a damn good hiding. :mad:

12. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

A hard and fast rule apparently, why they can't skip through the tape is beyond me ;rolleyes:
    That would be BRILLIANT! THANK YOU.

It's VERY scratched and also a little dented, one things for sure, it won't polish or t-cut out :mad:

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's what I'm gonna dream of, I'd LOVE to find out what mother f**ker did this then drove off!!!!!!!! ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

14. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    have you contacted a lawyer? I dont know how it works across the pond, but im positive if it was here, a legal request would have gotten you a copy of the tape.

i work right next to LAX, so at one time we used one of the long term international parking lots (it was cheaper), and one of the cars popped my bumper. Since all traffic is taped coming in and out, and there's a camera on each row of parking spaces, it wasn't hard to figure out who it was after my lawyer made the request to the airport authorities.

15. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

16. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

At least it is not as bad as this :)

Attached Files:

17. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That sucked, but there was nothing I could do about it. This not being able to see the video of some ass tearing my car apart is what's really getting to me.

18. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

How do the police know it happend over 4 hours ago? I could have happend 2 minutes before you arrived. :confused:

edit: It's pretty sad your looking at several hundred dollars of work on your car, and the cops won't take 2 minutes to look at the tape. Or let you do it.

19. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It could have happened any time between 06:20 and 15:40, because that time frame is much greater than 4hrs, the police are not allowed to spend the time looking at it apparently, it's complete bollocks :mad:

20. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I've gotten worse dammage of almost all sides of my car I have chips and s***. One time I was sitting in my car in a parking lot talking on the phone, and this family returns to their SUV that was parked next to mine. The mother helps in a young one on one side, and a slightly older one gets in on the side that is by my car. Well this 6-8 year old opens his car door, and it hits my door. His dad comes over and closes the door and looks at my car, then walks to the other side (driver side) and gets in. Still on the phone I get out and look and sure enough there is a dent and paint is missing. I look at the guy and he shoots me the meanest glare I've ever seen, like my car hit his or something. And he drives off.

21. iGav macrumors G3

that front left hand side of your car is cursed mate!! :eek: I'd get it blessed if I were you... :p

forcefully say the power of Christ compels you a few times, and sprinkle some water on it... that ought to do it... ;) :p

22. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Reviewing 10 hours of tape would take all of 20 minutes or so.... I'm sure they have a fast forward button they could hit... that's rather unfortunate that they're snubbing you like that.

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I second this. And I may be naive...but doesn't Britain have some control over their citizen's driving? I saw a "Discovery Channel Special" on those white vans, and it seems that something should be done about them. Good luck, and nice car.

24. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

That really is a pisser, I'd wait in the carpark till I saw a white van with red paint on it and do it over with a baseball bat, you'd be safe, they won't look at the tape... :eek:

Stupid rules suck.