I hate Windows

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jessep28, Nov 22, 2006.

1. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I'm getting the old Dell ready to be given away and thought I would display my frustration with working on Windows. It's taking forever to get old programs off of there, etc.

Good Riddance, I am glad I made the switch.

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

You have joined the throngs who have switched and vented here over the years.

Welcome!

3. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

Well right now I can't get explorer.exe (GUI of windows) to launch. So, I put in the CD to reformat the HD and it won't boot of the CD. I even made the CD 1st priority.

It's not the CD because I popped it in the MAC and it seems to recognize the unit just fine.

I am about ready to say screw the $100 I am getting and smash it into pieces :D

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i hate windows, hadnt really used it in years, installed it cause i got an intel mac and need to use maya (slow in rosetta) and remember why i switched years ago lol

5. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

CD drive is probably shot from my tinkering around with it...haha

I am giving the computer away for free now, they need to reformat it anyway and MS Office and stuff was what prompted me to sell it for $100.

Let alone buy a new CD Drive...haha sucks for them.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I like Windows for what it's worth.. games. When I have to use it for anything more complicated (work) it drives me crazy.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you have an external HD, cant you copy the windows disk, using your mac, to that, then transfer to the PC side?

8. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

That's too much work than what I am willing to put into it.

I'm not selling it to a complete idiot - she's a PC programmer who's cheap and doesn't want to spend money on a new machine even though Dell's are dirt cheap and she bought my Dell 1905FP 19" flastscreen off of me, so she wouldn't have to get a monitor.

Oh well, loss for her, gain for me :)

9. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

you HATE windows??? you're weird...I really don't like os x. I'm waiting to switch back...In os x everything just works and I don't like that. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

10. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

lol...it's bliss having to spend hours rebooting, rebooting again becuase you didn't hit F2 or F8 fast enough, reprioritizing boot drives, waiting 10 minutes for the thing to shut down because it's instlaling "updates" etc etc and still be stuck with the original problem...isn't it?? :cool:

11. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Yesterday I had my (nearly) worst experience with Windows ever. Automatic updates would run automatically, crash, and it would have the "XXXXX" is not responding window, along with another. I say "Do not send report" and it closes. About 10 seconds later it repeats. :mad:

12. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

I hate Windows.

Everytime I use it, something always goes wrong. :mad:

I hate Windows and I hate everything that includes M$.

13. Irish1978 macrumors member

Irish1978

I Hate Window, Linux And Anything That Has To Do With A Pc! Congrats On The Switch

14. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

i hate windows also they are allways letting drafts enter my home
    on a side note i hate doors too

oh we are talking about microsoft
    well that windows has a problem with letting drafts into my home also

15. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Computers are like air conditioners;
    they stop working when you open Windows.

16. mfInc macrumors member

Being a long time windows user, and now a Mac user, I feel sort of blinded. My new Macbook Pro is amazing, the O/S is amazing but I had total control over every single aspect of my Windows machine (Ram, what was using ram, clearing ram, cache, disk defragmenting, programs manager and so much more!). Most of them all free contributed to by a very great open source programming community.

When I made the move to Mac OSX I find myself not being able to remove programs FULLY, not being able to optimize the computer on demand (ex: Free Ram XP PRO).

I know it is early for me to speak, I am just beginning on the baby but I just feel as though I have to learn to use my hands and feet again.

17. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

When I made a switch in 2001, I was getting into technology stuffs. I did not hate Windows at that time; I just liked what I saw at the Apple Store (it was Ti PB). Before Apple came with Panther, I was still using Windows mainly. But, after Panther, I started using Windows less and less at home (at work, I use it all day, along with my Mac). With Tiger, things got better and reinforced the notion that I made a right choice when I started using Mac about 5 years ago.
    I don't advocate Mac to my coworkers at work. It would be better to keep good things to myself and use it for my career advantage in the competitive work place. While I am being productive with making quality proposals, memos, presentation materials, brochures, and what not with my Macs in the stable OS X environment, my colleagues are fixing and dealing with Windows' shaky OS.

18. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Dude here is an example that I face with Windows for Help Desk & at home Everyday of my life ...

http://addictingclips.com/Content.aspx?key=EF73DC171C345DB4

Just wait for it to load. This should bring a smile to your face that would match an exact expression of how you feel.

19. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

That's it. Enough is enough. This is the last day I am keeping Win XP in my MBP. Not worth it. I am happy to throw the games I have, if I have to play them in Win XP.:mad:

20. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I used Windows XP for the first time in quite a while yesterday (someone else's machine). Once again I was reminded of how awful it really is. Lots of things that would take a second or two on OS X need some fiddling to accomplish, and it's just really annoying.

--Eric

21. mfInc macrumors member

I have been a Windows user for a very long time -- I'd like to think an expert user and with the proper attention and attention it runs fine. I have never experience any of the problems everyone seems to talk about.

I know I am defending a lost cause -- especially here -- but Windows isn't that bad. It has done me well for many years and I LOVE the great community of programmers and software makers that back it up. There are so much free software that actually help you to take 100% control of your system that I actually miss it after moving to Mac OS X.

I love my MBP, don't get me wrong, but I think many of you blow the whole Windows thing out of proportion -- you have to either be using it wrong and not taking the necessary precautions to keep your system in line (like you should be doing to all machines) or just have bad luck.

22. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

When you've used a Mac I find it difficult working out just where windows puts everything.

Double clicking on a hard disk drive to be told that windows doesn't think I should view it is kind of disconcerting.

Look into AppZapper if you haven't already for an uninstaller.

23. mfInc macrumors member

I got it the other day! I love the noise it makes when it gets rid of the programs. Why isn't something like this built in?

24. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Congrats on the decision to switch! There's no regrets after that :)

As I've said to people I advise, Windows is good for somethings...like programmes you DESPERATELY need for which there are no alternatives in Mac. However, now w/Windows on Mac, there's no reason for Mac not to be your main computer. Especially since that means you have Mac as your everday OS and then Windows is dedicated to that ONE app you desperately need...perfect. One app is generally all it seems to be able to handle.

25. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

If you can't get explorer.exe to relaunch try this:
    Press Control+Alt+ Delete once and task manager should show up.
    Next Select the processes tab and look for the explorer.exe process.
    Once you find that select explorer.exe and click end process.
    When you receive the warning dialog box click OK.
    Go back to Task Manager and Select Applications tab.
    Click New task and type explorer.exe and it should relaunch the Windows GUI.

Hope that was helpful and simple enough!:p
    P.S. Good luck!