I have 173 Infected Files on my PB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applefan, Jul 17, 2005.

1. applefan macrumors regular

More accurately, 173 possibly infected files according to Virex 7.2.

Virex didn't delete them, didn't clean them, and didn't tell me which ones were possibly infected, so what do I do with this info? Is this something I should worry about or take some action against? If so what action?

Home Folder Scan Results:

Total files: ........... 23827
    Clean: ................. 23644
    Not scanned: ........... 10
    Possibly Infected: ..... 173
    Cleaned: ............... 0

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Were you given any other information?
    Do you have Word docs from a Windows environment?
    Any idea which files are being flagged as infected?

Give as many details as you can about your system too
    Tiger/Panther?
    iMac/Powerbook

Any information you can give is helpful

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

a screen shot would be freakin' awesome... proof wise... :cool:

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Do I detect a note of skepticism? :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm skeptical. Not that I don't believe the OP, but rather I don't believe Virex. So a screenshot won't help in my case.

6. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I'm skeptical too - AFAIK there are no spyware/trojans/ viruses for OSX. Virex must be picking up infected MS files. They can't do anything to your system, but might if you forward them to people using Windows. Best bet is, if you can - I don't have Virex so I'm not sure, to run Virex on batches of MS files and see which ones it picks up, but that's time consuming. Or give them to a PC friend, explain they have "something" and let his AV pick it up.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Virex 7.2 isn't very helpful like that. There is an option to save the scan log. You can do that, then use TextEdit to look for the word "Found".

Virtually everything that Virex seems to find is Windows virus/worm/trojan stuff in mail folders.

8. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Isn't that a bit pointless then? Why run a scan if you can't identify anything? Or do I misunderstand?
    Can't you exclude certain folders?
    Completely off topic (sorry) what's the blinking light in your avatar iMeowbot?

9. applefan thread starter macrumors regular

System Info as follows:
    Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
    Machine Model: PowerBook5,6
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f1

Running Tiger 10.2

I probably have a lot of MS Office docs originating from PCs , some music videos downloaded using Acquisition (no ill gotten music). However, all the files on my PB also reside on an external HD connected to a PC that is regularly scanned for viruses and none are ever found.

Virex does not indicate which files are "possibly infected"

I have a screenshot, but I'm having trouble adding it. Can any one give quick directions?

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, it's a bit pointless. Virex 7.2 does flag files, but you have to look through the log manually to figure out what it found. It has an automatic "clean" option, things like that have a nasty habit of making things worse. It's better than nothing, but not by much.
    With 7.2 you can choose a folder to scan, by hand each time. Anything fancier needed Virex 7.5, which broke under Tiger.
    Put iTunes into mini player mode, press F9 for Expose, then click on the mini player.

11. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Off topic aain but I've just tried that under 10.4 and I don't get a flashing light :confused:

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Nope, and you won't get the :eek: :eek: :eek: or the buttons pointing there either :p

13. applefan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to you all for your helpful suggestions. I've found the offending location:

/Users/my home folder/Library/Caches/Java Applets/cache/javapi/v1.0/jar/*

Does anyone know if it will do any harm to delete the contents of this folder?

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

dont sweat it, virus scanners work by looking for files that correlated to it's list of known viruses, and there are no known mac OS X viruses they must all be windows viruses that found there way onto your mac, mostly through java applets you use online.

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's probably fine to delete. It seems like its just a cached Java Applet. No big deal.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Under where you post you will see a section of additional options, one of those is to manage attachments. That is where you can attach a file to upload (with size restrictions).

Or you can host it somewhere (like a .mac account) and call it from there with the tags explained here

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. applefan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks MacDawg!

Attached Files:

18. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

19. applefan thread starter macrumors regular

It's good to know I'm not alone. I had some of the same files (and many more) in my folder. They're al gone now, so I'm of to more exciting Sunday afternoon activities.

Thanks all.

20. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I've said it before - Anti-Virus isn't needed on Macs - at least today. ;)

21. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Unfortuantely, there are a few trojans and there are some malicious scripts that look like cracks out there. The Trojans do not self-install. They would have to be placed manually in the startup items of the Admin user's folder. Digital Calamity made one, and a few other groups have made them. They also work great for remote controlling a Mac or PC if you're too cheap to buy Apple Remote Desktop.

The scripts are mostly shell and applescripts that generally try to knock out your Home folder or start to delete contents off of the HD itself.

You probably won't run into these as most of them, AFAIK are in the "underground" and are generally distributed by reputable software developers as "cracks" for certain applications, but then end up harming the person trying to crack the application (call it preventative programming for reverse engineering, if you will.)

22. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

lol, guess I won't be spending too much time trying to get it to work. Does your mac need an exorcist? ;)