I have 2 computers I am thinking about selling to upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac000, Dec 16, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2005
    I have a a 17" intel iMac and a 13" macbook both core duo.

I find myself using the imac a whole lot more than the macbook, but i love having the advantage of portability when times come around.

So I am thinking about selling them both and getting a 15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo + 20" LCD (Maybe Apple? Maybe Dell?) Apple LCD's seem a little expensive compared to others spec wise no?

I like the idea of operating with a closed lid connected to an external LCD. And if i need to go on the road I can just take the MBP with me.

Does anyone have this setup or delt with this circumstance that can comment?

Will connected bluetooth keyboard and mouse wake the laptop when its connected to a LCD?
  2. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2006
    Hi. Yes, you'll be able to wake up the computer with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I use a MacBook and Dell display, with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and it works perfectly. It sounds like you'll be making the right decision, if you go to one computer instead of two.
  3. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    i have a similar setup- although it is older-

i've got a 12" PB w/ a 23" apple display-
    i had a bluetooth keyboard/mouse- but got tired of dealing w/ batteries so i went wired
    also have an external HD for things-

yes- the keyboard mouse can wake the machine (both bluetooth and wired)- although you need to turn it on for bluetooth-

and- yes- sounds like you are making the right decision- i agree w/ T-Stex
    although- i like the apple monitor a ton
    the dell has the same specs
    just looks differently

best of luck!
  4. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2005
    really the dell screens and apple screen do look differently? I thought the dell was just brighter than the apple display and thats it? Well besides the design..
  5. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2005
    is the perforance in the core 2 duo MBP enough to sell my imac and macbook for? Im pondering the idea of just getting a a 20" display and hooking up my imac to it... :rolleyes:
  6. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    Word is Dell and Apple use the same panels only enclosures are different. Can't verify this but so i've heard.

Get the Dell its much more bang for the buck. Only avid graphics designers or those who have the money need apply to the ACDs IMHO. My setup consists of a 2007WFP and a MBP. Awesome setup if i say so myself.