I have a battle ahead--Unbelievable--You must read this!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Mar 1, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Ok. Here's the setup.
    My school requires that all seniors do a "Senior Project". Without this project, you can't graduate.
    Semester 1 has you write a 10 page term paper on a subject of your choosing.

That was ok. Not too fun. But ok.

Semester two (and one) involves a "project". you must have at least 10 hours logged in. I currently have about six.
    My project is a paper called "The Freedom".
    http://www.alexwait.com/School/issue6TEXT.htm
    That's the article one of the teachers is all upset about?

While, yes, it may be just an opionated article, I have approval to publish such a document. The paper got approved by the committee that handles the Senior Projects. And my principal looks over and approves each and every article before I publish them.

I was ok with all that.

The teacher who I will not name, picked up the article off a desk where it was presumably left before class started, read about halfway through, slammed it on the desk and said:
    "That's bull!@@!. Why do we let people publish such things in this country?"

Oh my god! It's in the first Amendment you prick! Look it up!

I can't believe it. And now, my friend told me that after I left on the bus, they
    called all the teachers in to discuss in the library if I should be able to do my project.

This is unbelievable. Let's just say that teacher has tried to restrict the rights of the WRONG PERSON!

This may get ugly!

Check back for more? Oh, and any tips if case I have to fight back?:D

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    My tips: Have FACTS when you battle this dumbass. Go in with your guns loaded and fire off so many facts it makes his beliefs crumble around him, and hopefully quits his job.

He's there for one purpose, to grade you based on an objective view point. If he can't do that, he shouldn't be teaching.

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I read it, even though its opinionated it should be allowed to be published. The only thing I dont understand is why you called the UAE a company, its a country isnt it?

4. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

It's scary isnt' it??

I'm still in disbelief.

I'll have some facts. Some court issues to back me up.

Go Google!

EDIT:
    You're right. I may be wrong there. When I gave the article to my principal, he said about how ninenty percent of all of our ports are owned by other countries.

So I have intended, and I have, in the next article, which I just submitted this morning, a correction about that ninenty percent.

5. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Yes, the UAE is a country. Here it is:

[​IMG]

6. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

I read your post more carefully.
    He's not really grading the paper. I don't even have his classes any more.

And he's a SCIENCE teacher. Wow. They tend to be more progressive don't they? LOL

EDIT:
    Company changed to country.
    Thanks again.

7. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Im aware its a country lol, but why in the link you posted do you refer to the UAE as a company?

8. blackstone macrumors regular

The American Civil Liberties Union can provide a lot of useful information and assistance. They have a quick FAQ on student free speech rights online at http://aclu.org/studentsrights/expression/12803pub19971231.html.

You might also want to telephone your local ACLU affiliate and see if they have any state-specific resources for you.

The main thing to remember here is that while your teacher's actions show real disrespect for freedom of speech, the Supreme Court has SEVERELY restricted the rights of school-sponsored publications. So you're probably best off arguing in terms of democratic ideals rather than threatening legal action. Some useful Supreme Court quotes:

"n our system, undifferentiated fear or apprehension of disturbance is not enough to overcome the right to freedom of expression. Any departure from absolute regimentation may cause trouble. Any variation from the majority's opinion may inspire fear. Any word spoken, in class, in the lunchroom, or on the campus, that deviates from the views of another person may start an argument or cause a disturbance. But our Constitution says we must take this risk, and our history says that it is this sort of hazardous freedom - this kind of openness - that is the basis of our national strength and of the independence and vigor of Americans who grow up and live in this relatively permissive, often disputatious, society."

-- Justice Fortas in Tinker v. Des Moines

"That they [school boards] are educating the young for citizenship is reason for scrupulous protection of Constitutional freedoms of the individual, if we are not to strangle the free mind at its source and teach youth to discount important principles of our government as mere platitudes"
    "We can have intellectual individualism and the rich cultural diversities that we owe to exceptional minds only at the price of occasional eccentricity and abnormal attitudes. When they are so harmless to others or to the State as those we deal with here, the price is not too great. But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order.

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."
    -- Justice Jackson in West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Maybe he was as concerned about the spelling, grammar and style as was I reading through it.

Then again, I wasn't concerned enough to raise my voice. Or slam anything. So if that's his problem, he's got me beat on the concern part. I hope you have an editor for this paper.

10. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Thanks for the great post.

I will have to wait and see how much "damage" they want to do to my paper before I pull out the big guns.

11. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

all the teachers want you to express yourself and when you do, they shut you down. I hated senior project.

12. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

I highly doubt if he was concerned about the style and grammer.
    It's very informal.

And it's convenient that Kansas high additonal laws protecting first amendment rights that my principal did not tell me about or didn't know.

That's it.
    This is going to get ugly.

BTW The teacher goes to a very CULT like church in town.

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i'm not quite getting what this 'paper' is. is it a newspaperlike-paper with multiple articles that you print and distribute periodically or more like a full, reasearched termpaper-paper? the commentary you linked is a draft of one of the articles to be published, a summary or the actual piece? Is it supposed to be a brief op-ed or more like a news article?

14. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

15. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for free speech but just remember who you're dealing with. Don't shoot yourself in the foot out of principle, sometimes it's better in the long run to just nod and play the game.

AppleMatt

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To be honest, too, you push the line in distorting the facts...at least as I understand them. There were many bipartisan initiatives to investigate or modify this agreement. My understanding is that only a limited number of individuals backed initiatives to actually *stop* the deal. I could be wrong. But what I saw supports that.

You also don't really make even a token effort to justify your association between the UAE and terrorism.

I don't agree with your opinion, and I think your method of stating it borders on vitriol and defamation. But if you do want to publish it, and make a point to readers, you should tighten up these kinds of things and choose your words carefully, in order to get your point across to people you hope to convince.

Otherwise, it's just an exercise in ... well... verbal masturbation. :eek:

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hmm, before I read the article I'll have a go at the first amendment thing. I don't live in America, I'm merely going off what TV shows about it here. But isn't it against the law to say "I don't like America" if you live there? A show some years ago had an interview with a guy who was arrested for that.

18. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

No, Its the exact opposite, freedom of speech, religion, press, and a few more that I cant remember.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know if you're kidding or serious, but AFAIK the major limitations to freedom of speech in the U.S. are things like...

- Defamatory speech and libel ... like spreading lies about someone that have a negative impact on them... can have civil penalties

- Threats to commit acts of violence

- Certain kinds of speech that endanger public health -- like yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater, when there is no fire.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What about a man standing on a crate or something (I can't remember what it was) and said "the American government is bad, america is a bad country" etc etc. It was an experiment. secretly filmed on camera and all that. police pulled him in! it was a fair few years ago mind. and in Washington. if that makes any difference.

21. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

No. I'm sure a few misguided "patriotic" whackos would like to make that happen, though.

I find that difficult to believe. Unless there were some other circumstances, that would be very much against the law...actually, on second thought, depending on where it happened, I don't find it difficult to believe. He'd be able to sue though.

--Eric

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Perhaps if he did something illegal. What he shouted itself wasn't illegal. But he might have lacked some sort of permit for where he was, or have been disturbing the peace or something. It's possible in principle. But if he was arrested for the content of his statement, and it was pretty much as you described it, then that does not sound like a legal arrest by US law.

23. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

The first article you posted not only contains grammatical errors, it smears a whole country on the basis of the actions of two people. And, of course, there's the whole company/country thing already mentioned.

The second one you posted -- the one about the State of the Union -- starts out with a factual error. Perhaps a little background reading (see, e.g., U.S. Constitution) would be helpful. If the Constitution is too oppressive, try Wikipedia.

Perhaps the teacher is trying to keep your youthful enthusiasm from bringing embarassment upon yourself and, by way of the same "guilt by association" you practiced in your article about the ports issue, upon your school as well.

24. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

<personal opinion>

And one of them's last name rhymes with Sush :D

</personal opinion>

25. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Are you referencing to the first sentence about how the President is only required to give one speech?

If so... my government teacher told us a million! times that fact.

I could be wrong however. ;)