I have a bunch of audio tapes and i don´t know how to transfer the information to ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by igmolinav, Sep 18, 2005.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2005
    Hi !!!

I have a bunch of audio tapes and i don´t know how to transfer all the information in them into an ibook/powerbook with as much quality as possible, hopefully is not very expensive to do it?

Thank you,

2. geese macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2003
    London, UK
    The cheapest way is probably to get a Griffin iMic. Get a tape player and run a cable (preferably phono plugs) to the iMic. Use software (like Wiretap- although there must a free alternative that'll record sound in) to sample the tape. And thats it.
  3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
  4. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    Sound Recorder Mac OSX

If you're not looking to get too fancy, I used "Sound Recorder" to convert my tapes to CD. It's very simple and doesn't have the ability to "clean up" sound. I simply plugged the headphone out on the tape player to the "line in" on the laptop (the Pismos have line ins, but you may need the device mentioned above), used Sound Recorder to get them in Quicktime format, then recorded the Quicktime movies to CD.

Sound Recorder is also great for quick recordings on your microphone.

Again, a down and dirty solution, but a solution nonetheless.