i have a business idea with the ps3

Discussion in 'Games' started by nmamur, Nov 18, 2006.

1. nmamur macrumors member

i have heard from many sources that the ps3 controller feels too light...almost so that it disconnects u from the gam...i am considering maybe developing some type of weight that would fit inside the controller and make it feel more like the dual shock 2...any thoughts, insights...if u might be able to supply me with some type of weighty material, maybe...if i dont end up doing this for money, i may just do it for myself cause this weight thing sounds like something thats gonna bother me alot...

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

My first piece of advice is this:

If you're serious about an idea, don't post it on a public forum. I know it's really exciting and all to think about, and that it's pretty unlikely a fellow MR member would steal the idea, but this is a public forum. Anyone can pop in, and would even be directed here if searching for "ps3 business idea".

Other than that, I think it could work, but it's tough to get users to crack open their own hardware. Maybe just make a heavier controller and sell that?

3. nmamur thread starter macrumors member

well, ur absolutey right, but at the same time id like some input from u guys to see if its even possible. if no one cares, y go through effort, right..

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    thank you! The patent, trademark and copyright forms are currently on their way to their respective offices along with the proper fees. :)

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Good luck with that....the PS3 controller feels fine to me and the rumble is not missed..well not by me.

Bless

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno if it's already been said, just read the first post but...

That's a bad idea. Developing a weight to put inside controllers?
    Don't publicly post business ideas. If they're good they'll be stolen. if they're bad they will be laughed at. haha. -an example.

after reading other posts...
    You're attitude isn't good. If you seriously went to a patent office or Sony with this idea and gave you negative feedback and you acted like that? You think big businesses will go easy on you? Learn to react better to criticism.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, you can sell a pack of nickels to weigh down the controller for $25!

Most PC gamers I know have been doing that for a while with their mice (weighing them down). I even did that for a while.

8. kinesin macrumors regular

While there might be a need for this in the future, a quick duct-tape and coins hack would solve most peoples issues.
    I think the problem you face would be creation and marketing of any solution. If logic3 or another 3rd party decides to get involved and produce a ps3 controller (or addon) which they will, they have the advantage of distribution channels, resellers, brandname etc plus will have access to the techincal specs etc.

You best option would be find a solution that can be bodged up, like the original footpod hack for the nike+ kit over on http://podophile.com/, get the it linked enough to place no1 in a suitable google search, and get money via adwords or such.

Now go hunting for a 'Ben and Jerrys medium Phish food pot' an old nokia 3200 battery, some chewing gym etc to get that solution.:D

9. nmamur thread starter macrumors member

well, to tell the truth, im not 100 percent serious...i'm more curious to get reactions...i figured if the reaction was serious enough, i would persue it more aggresivelly...in a nutshell, im more woried about the controller than the idea...if i dont do it, maybe someone else will. My own initial opinion is that people wouldnt be willing to pay extra money for this.

10. steelfist macrumors 6502a

coin weight on mice? that's something i've never heard of. i used to drill holes in my mice to keep the weight even lower!

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

After spending £450 on the console then £30-50 for the PS3 HD cable? No. I really don't think they will. I think they will either not care about the controller, buy a 3rd party one or stick a weight in themselves. I was 8 years old with my classic Gameboy and the speaker started making a funny noise, I folded up a tiny piece of paper and slotted it down the speaker grill and it fixed it. People will fix their own things ya know.