I have a DREAM - application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OldCorpse, Jan 28, 2007.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Oh wise Mac users hive mind! I have hungered and dreamt for an application that just always seems out of reach... or maybe I just don't know?

I want a notbook-based repository for my research/creative projects, random data, interesting photos, videos, soundbites etc.

Here's what I'd like: opens up on a choice of a bunch of notebooks (or bins, or whatever *storage*) I can see at a glance (plus books can be stored in category stacks, like in a library. I can pick any book or create a new one. Within a book I have pages, unlimited, as many as I wish to create. Any notes that I put into the pages have the ability for me to simply make linkable by any word - like a webpage with links - to any other pages or notebooks. Actually, I like the interface of Note Studio:

http://www.dogmelon.com.au/ns/Getting Started.shtml

But Note Studio is hopelessly limited (as I'll discuss below).

I'd like to paste into the page text, webpages, urls, photos, videos, sound files and I can cross link them like on a webpage to anywhere else in the book or another book.

From that point of view, Journler is nice:

http://journler.com/

But Journler has other problems (discussed later).

And I'd like the app to not have a limit on pages, or size of bins, and for the bins and pages and all the content to be part of the app, not a link to files stored on my computer.

I have checked out a ton, but they all have some kind of drawback or another. Does my dream app exist?

Circus Ponies NoteBook - Hopelessly rigid, creates categories I don't want or need, actually *creates* busy work filing instead of getting out of the way and just letting me store stuff.

Note Studio - Number of books you can create is limited, and number of pages within a book is limited. Cannot store anything else other than text, it only points to media elsewhere on my computer (rather than be a part of the app), and if those files move, well, the link dies.

Journler - A very promising app - but it's hampered (to me) by being centered around dates of entreis - it really is a journal, not a central repository... not a good metaphor for my way of working... I don't care to store my clippings/research notes etc. by calendar days, I'd rather have a special book or bin or storage. Further, it doesn't do the kind of linking that is crucial and so flexible - as is f.ex. Note Studio or VoodooPad. But it can store all media right in the app!

VoodooPad - fantastic linking - works like a webpage. I really like that aspect. Problem is that it doesn't take other media.

Other apps I've examined: Yojimbo, WikiNotes, ZuluPad. All have various things missing, limitations or other problems.

To reiterate:

1) A web or wiki structure - this is the key operating principle - I love making quick links right in the document that takes me to other relevant documents, and all is interconnected. I love the web metaphor!

2) Clear storage. I like to see stuff at a glance: books in stacks - good, bins with data - good, file cabinet - good. So I can open up the app, and immediately pick out a book or bin where I want to work today.

3)Accepts all media: text, web pages, video clips, audio clips, photos. And keeps them within the walls of the app (not just as pointers which point outside of the app).

4)Minimum of busywork. I hate those apps that force you to jump through hoops to put anything down... I see an interesting article, I just want to store it as a pdf - click, click and I'm done! Which means, that it should probably take advantage of contextual menus and Apple services. Rather than: laboriously open up the app, search around and after fifteen steps finally get my .pdf stored.

5)Maximum of flexibility - I hate apps that railroad you into picking categories, opening panels and then you must place the text in just this way, and use these bullet points or form - Circus Ponies NoteBook is a notorious example.

6)Hopefully a reasonably intuitive and reasonable learning curve. No secret codes, handshakes, weird key combos, bizarre steps to do simple things etc.

OK, is there such a beast? If you suggest any app, oh wise ones, please take note of the above 6 points... so if the app you recommend I check out does not have a web-link like structure, well, I'm not interested... you get the drift... I'm looking for something that has ALL this. If somehow I could pick features from VoodooPad (web-structure!), Journler (all media!), Note Studio (interface!) and a couple other ones, I'd have my app. But the problem is that there isn't one that does that. So, rather than more apps that again are missing one of those features, is there one that I've overlooked that fulfills my DREAM APP?

Ahh, I know how developers who start a project to "scratch an itch" feel... sadly I'm not technically proficient or have enough time to do such a job myself :( I wish I could "roll my own"...

Thank you and sorry for the length!

2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Journler can sort your work in specific folders, its fairly easy to do. Just create a folder, and create files in that folder, those files aren't sorted by date, as a journal would be, but can be sorted whichever way you want.

Attached Files:

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Thanks, Blubbert, good to know. I like Journler, it has a lot of what I'd like in my dream app...

4. Blubbert macrumors 6502

I only started using it a short while ago. It is now my official note taking app. I used Word in Notebook mode before, but it doesnt come near to Journler, especially in the usage of proc. cycles, it has significantly prolonged my battery life.

5. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

It blows my mind that it's free too... amazing! I does more than some apps that charge a lot. I donate to such developers.

6. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Since i switched to Mac, i keep getting suprised as to how many apps that are commercial have counterparts that are free, and often these free ones are better. I have already donated money to the developer, as i appreciate the usefulness of Journler very much.

7. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

I'm struggling to see the use of this app could someone screen shot me journler with an example entry so i can get a feel for it?

8. Blubbert macrumors 6502

9. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

i did, still doesn't give me a feel for it. Thats why i asked you guys for a screenie.

I think this software could benefit me in my PhD i just need to grasp the concept.

EDIt: Also i have just made an entry about submitting my conference paper and it has all the important dates on it for this conference. This links to an email i have in mail but i cant see a way to link this email to my journal entry....any ideas?

10. Blubbert macrumors 6502

I really dont know how to link to mail from Journler. You could just copy the mail into Journler and keep it there, as i think you can create links between posts.

11. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Answer: Get 2.1 Beta

12. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

still no one has posted screenshots or told me how or why they use it....

13. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Well, i personally use it for note taking in class, and this serves to replace MS Word, because its a processor hog, being run trough rosetta and all. This shows how i organize my notes:

Attached Files:

14. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Would you say that Circus Ponies Notebook is better suited than Journler for taking Notes in class? I'm still trying to decide if I should just run everything from Journler (Notes wise) or have a "Notebook" for every class.