I Have A Hunch

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Shrek, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2002
    Nashville, Tennessee USA
    If Apple is going to release Jaguar on August 24 and there is lots of rumors that the G5 will be available soon, don't you think that Apple would want to make Jaguar 64-bit compatible to take advantage of this new generation of processors? I have a hunch that Jaguar will have both a 64-bit and 32-bit version in one box, so that users with G4 Macs and those with new G5 Macs can take advantage of having a new 64-bit OS, and so that upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit will be seamless and easy. Though they may decide to release a 64-bit version of Jaguar after the 32-bit version. What do you think? :rolleyes:
  2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    I think you're daft. :D Unless they were totally airtight about this (which, you gotta admit, doesn't happen that often with software, especially a major OS), don't you think we would have heard something? Maybe it's in development, but it's certainly not gonna be bundled this August! The regular 10.2 install takes up two CD's as it is...
  3. fuzzy7slippers macrumors member

Feb 21, 2002
    i agree, i highly doubt that we will see any 64 bit processors in the near future. by the way i am running 6c115 right now and it is great. also, does anybody know of any free POP email accounts. i am desperate here, somebody please help me.
  4. GPTurismo macrumors 6502

May 4, 2001
    Montgomery, AL USA
    I think the insides of the 10.2 boxes will be laced with lsd so they can brainwash us more easily. :D
  5. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2002
    Hong Kong
    hey ... if you check out www.macintouch.com and go to .Mac alternatives people have listed many freee pop mail services and their opinions..

one that i am quite fond of is www.fastmail.fm...

good luck :)
  6. dongmin macrumors 68000

Jan 3, 2002
    Re: Poop

one CD (480mb) for the OS itself and the second (325mb) for apps like itunes. And I believe a third for developer tools.

It's much more than your average dot-one upgrade. As many have noted, it's almost like a whole new OS.
  7. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2002
    Nashville, Tennessee USA
    Re: Re: Poop

I think Apple should just forget about all the CD crap and update all their systems and software to DVD BABY!!! :D
  8. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Re: Re: Re: Poop

They tried that, and people whined about not having CD-R/W's. So Apple relented and replaced the DVD's with CD-R/W's. More whining. So now most have combo drives (low-mid) or super drives. (high end) I would love to see Apple stop selling *any* computers that cannot read a DVD, and really push the DVD platform.. but too many people complain about price.. so I won't hold my breath.
  9. dongmin macrumors 68000

Jan 3, 2002
    I don't know about you but I just found out today that my iBook's G3 has this secret switch that kicks in when I run Jaguar. It automatically switches to 64-bit. Just like that. Who knew?

Nigel: ...the numbers all go to eleven. Look...right across the board.
    Marty: Ahh...oh, I see....
    Nigel: Eleven...eleven...eleven....
    Marty: ..and most of these amps go up to ten....
    Nigel: Exactly.
    Marty: Does that mean it's...louder? Is it any louder?
    Nigel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most...most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here...all the way up...all the way up....
    Marty: Yeah....
    Nigel: ...all the way up. You're on ten on your guitar...where can you go from there? Where?
    Marty: I don't know....
    Nigel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is if we need that extra...push over the cliff...you know what we do?
    Marty: Put it up to eleven.
    Nigel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
    Marty: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top... number... and make that a little louder?

Nigel: These go to eleven.
  10. JABevan macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2002
    OS 9.x compatibility...

A 64-bit chip set *could* explain why OS 9.x would not be compatible on the new systems.... picking at straws here...
  11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    slippers, can't you use the email that come with your ISP, or is your ISP a pertruding low brow service? :D

Rumors a while back said that Jaguar would have support for 64-bit operations. So I don't see why this would be such a big problem.
  12. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Apple doesn't need to re-compile any code for any 64 bit chips they may be looking at using, because both the G4 and Power4 are backwards compatible. I think they'd need to make adjustments for the OS to take full advantage of the chip, but it will work just fine as it is now.